Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 PM

428 posts, read 554,036 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing, and if so, who issues? Recently purchased land and an older (ca. 1870) house in Amity. The house was last occupied in 2004, but there are a couple of issues that will require attention such as replacement of fuse with breaker panel, replacement of home-made furnace with alternate heating source, etc. Just wondering how strict the rules are regarding completion of these repairs before we can occupy the house. We're not afraid to rough it for a while, and we are safety conscious. I realize that insurance companies will have their own requirements. Any info on local government requirements that I can expect to meet will be appreciated. We are excited about retiring and moving to the area soon. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 06:53 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
you can move in and work on it as you go.but the heating should be top priority then your electrical.if its the house im thinking of. then you will have some fixen up to do but its worth it.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 PM

428 posts, read 554,036 times
For heat we've been considering wood stoves in kitchen and living room with electric back-up - like maybe a Rinnai. Does anyone in that area use the outdoor wood-fired boilers? They seem to be popular here in Missouri since you can burn anything and supply both heat and hot water.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
For heat we've been considering wood stoves in kitchen and living room with electric back-up - like maybe a Rinnai. Does anyone in that area use the outdoor wood-fired boilers? They seem to be popular here in Missouri since you can burn anything and supply both heat and hot water.
Yes people use them. Some places have made moves to ban them as they smoke up the whole neighborhood. For now there are few restrictions.
People pretty much live in whatever they want to around here. I know people who live in camper trailers with nothing but a kerosene heater, no running water and use the great outdoors for a bathroom. Nobody has bothered them in years.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:17 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Occ. permits vary from place to place. Down here we only do Occ. Permits when the insurance or mortgage comp. require them. No charge and it only been on new stick built homes. As far as outside wood boilers, the state is supposedly coming out with requirements out of state planning office. They are worried about the smoke and fire prevention. We have a couple down here but not many. Haven't heard anything bad about them other than keeping them stoked.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I have a couple of cousins in that area that use the outdoor boilers and love them. One of them uses theirs year round and heats his pool and hot water without using any oil. I know a couple of guys that sell them over in Dyer Brook but I imagine there is a dealer a little closer to Amity.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I have been on planning boards in Maine since 1974. I have never heard on anybody requiring an occupancy permit in rural Maine.

If you want an outdoor boiler, shop around. The dealer will deliver it and set it on your concrete pad. Some of the early models smoked badly in warm weather. It doesn't make sense to run one in warm weather. You will burn a lot of wood just to heat your shower water. It's better to put in an instant hot water heater for washing. You can get your hot water from the wood furnace in winter. Of course that would mean installing a heat exchanger to convert your wood system water to water from your drinking supply. Your wood system should be 50/50 antifreeze protected.

I know a family who put in a wood fired boiler outside and they have forced hot air heat in the house. That is very economical because you don't need to buy hot water baseboard units for the whole house.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
No Certificates of Occupancy are required here.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

216 posts, read 645,679 times
I'm an outsider.I've only been a visitor to your great state. But I'm not sure you want to leave the impression that "anything goes".

In his later years my FIL was the plumbing inspector for the Unorginized Territories. I remeber most of his fights were about folks who had outhouses too close to waters edge or who had enclosed outhouses as part of the house.

Just saying... there are some rules.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
I'm an outsider.I've only been a visitor to your great state. But I'm not sure you want to leave the impression that "anything goes".

In his later years my FIL was the plumbing inspector for the Unorginized Territories. I remeber most of his fights were about folks who had outhouses too close to waters edge or who had enclosed outhouses as part of the house.

Just saying... there are some rules.
Not many rules in unorganized territories and even fewer people to enforce those rules.
The people I know that live outside the realm of what most would call normal (and certainly illegally) are not even in the unorganized territories. They do it right in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine