Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Wow, that sounds like it might be a bit rough... whew!! I grew up in New York City... eating tongue... loved it. Haven't had it for years but have fond memories. And I'm not Russian.

The recipie I have in a book around here somewhere, says--if I remember aright--that when it comes time to add the brains, you stir them in until the mixture thickens.

Mmmmm . . . . good!

BTW, sweetbreads are wonderful.

I like brains a lot too--but I'm wary of eating them these days because of mad cow disease.

Hearts and lungs are good too. So's cow stomach, and tongue, of course.

Beef and kidney pie is also great.

Norhing wrong with a good steak, btw, I like steaks, too.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
The recipie I have in a book around here somewhere, says--if I remember aright--that when it comes time to add the brains, you stir them in until the mixture thickens.

Mmmmm . . . . good!

BTW, sweetbreads are wonderful.

I like brains a lot too--but I'm wary of eating them these days because of mad cow disease.

Hearts and lungs are good too. So's cow stomach, and tongue, of course.

Beef and kidney pie is also great.

Norhing wrong with a good steak, btw, I like steaks, too.

That there is mighty hearty eatin'. Had a patient who ate brain in Morocco and died a very horrible death from it. It was terrible to see. Don't eat BRAINS!!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:37 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
That there is mighty hearty eatin'. Had a patient who ate brain in Morocco and died a very horrible death from it. It was terrible to see. Don't eat BRAINS!!
That's why I mentioned mad cow disease.

Fact is, I don't eat any beef anymore, until I feel more certain it's safe from mad cow.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM

124 posts, read 280,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa2010 View Post
The migration to Richmond was quite a while ago - 50"s? not sure. Their young people mostly moved away.
In more recent history a small nursing home was built because of the problem of Russian elderly not having a place to go. But the last I knew there was only one Russian in the home.

Jobs? I don't know that either. It's possible that they came when they retired.
The majority of the Russians came after the overthrow of the Czar in 1918. They were skilled craftsmen who were hired throughout the local communities. (having a skill was a requirement for immigration at one time)

Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa2010 View Post
Interesting.
The business of the secondary immigration is something I read about in the Maine Sunday Telegram before they arrived. It was known that they were coming and there were going to be about 1000 people.

Are they all, or most of them, getting gov't subsidies?
The huge majority are getting assistance.. My "guess" would be 95% or more. And there were thousands that moved here.. not just a thousand. It has been a huge drain on the local economy. One only needs to look at the schools to see the increase cost associated with them. There was a recent article (discussed here on the forum linked below) written from a Somali elder to dispell rumors but one could cleary see where there was no real factual and valid stats to support it.

Lewiston is a poor town already with limited jobs, IDK know how they expected to come here and survive.. that is where sisters of charity got involved in helping them relocate here and assisted them in how to use the system.

its all been discussed before.

//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...l#post16423583

Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Every night I pray Governor LePage and the Rebublican Legislature will put an end to this migration!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Every night I pray Governor LePage and the Rebublican Legislature will put an end to this migration!
SO EASY! 6 plus month Residency requirement for any assistance..

Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 AM

6 posts, read 42,717 times
Default who is you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Catholic charities had plenty to do with the Somali Immigration. I wish them success too but the reality is most of them do not work and support themselves.
Hey flycessna, I am a somali and i don't appreciate your discrimating comment toward somali. It one thing to say some somali don't work therefor they can't support themselves, but to say all somali don't work and can't support themselves is generalizing all somali.

I believe you are among European immigrants that think America is their country and get jealous when they see new immigrants coming into their neighbourhoods and starting new businesses. For your information somali people got business everywhere they live...whether it is cafe shop, restaurant, grocery store... they are true entrepreneur and if it wasn't for somali the economy would be doing alot worst so watch what you say.

p.s. if you need a job, just let me know, I think you mad because you are jobless?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:06 AM

6 posts, read 42,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
That's why I mentioned mad cow disease.

Fact is, I don't eat any beef anymore, until I feel more certain it's safe from mad cow.
You know what else kills you...Pork...its got so many disease that haven't been discovered by scientist nor the health department. They don't care about you they want to make money.

but brain is good....I eat it all the time. people who eat brain get more brain...lol

Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afarah00 View Post
Hey flycessna, I am a somali and i don't appreciate your discrimating comment toward somali. It one thing to say some somali don't work therefor they can't support themselves, but to say all somali don't work and can't support themselves is generalizing all somali.

I believe you are among European immigrants that think America is their country and get jealous when they see new immigrants coming into their neighbourhoods and starting new businesses. For your information somali people got business everywhere they live...whether it is cafe shop, restaurant, grocery store... they are true entrepreneur and if it wasn't for somali the economy would be doing alot worst so watch what you say.

p.s. if you need a job, just let me know, I think you mad because you are jobless?

You say in other posts that you want to move to either Nigeria or Canada, neither of which has anything to do with Lewiston, Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine