Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,992,524 times

Advertisements

Pretty much every Stephen King book or movie takes place in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,344,896 times
Hey all...

I saw a great documentary last night called "Billy the Kid". It was filmed in and around Lisbon Falls where this quirky, yet wise teenage boy lived.

He wasn't diagnosed until after filming, but apparently he has Asperger's. The movie was filmed around 2006 when Billy was 15. The movie really stuck with me and I'm curious about what he's up to today.

If you like off beat gems, you'll enjoy this movie.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Pretty much every Stephen King book or movie takes place in Maine.
Yes, but hardly any of them are actually filmed here. The last one I can remember was Storm of the Century, and even then, it was only a few exterior shots.

They wanted to do Bag of Bones here, but couldn't becuase of all the state rigamarole. They ended up filming in Canada.

If they ever do film 11/22/63, I hope they do all the can to film around Lisbon. I know the town well enough that any substitute is going to scream "Fake!" to me.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM

476 posts, read 749,166 times
Default High Tide at Noon

This film, while actually set in Novia Scotia, seems to capture the nostalgic feeling of a tiny, 50's Maine coastal town.
It is basically a 'B' movie, but with some solid 'A' acting, including a special bonus for you "Prisoner" fans; a very young Patrick McGoohan! He actually plays a heavy in the story, and is key to setting off some pivotal plot development. There is also an unexpected twist in the love triangle that will have you wondering how the story is resolved later on.
If you have Netflix, you can stream it. So dim the lights, whip up the popcorn and see what you think of this obscure gem!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:58 AM

783 posts, read 1,577,119 times
Just guessing, but "High Tide at Noon" movie is probably based on Maine author Elisabeth Ogilvie's 1944 novel of the same name. I will definitely check it out. I love Elisabeth Ogilvie's novels...

Old 01-11-2014, 06:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,555,307 times
Default You gotta be kidding

[quote=tatans;27782663]You believe right, the movie was filmed in 13 different locations in Nova Scotia, isn't Maine part of Nova Scotia? ?[/quote

I think you played hooky when they were teaching geography

Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 AM

476 posts, read 749,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Just guessing, but "High Tide at Noon" movie is probably based on Maine author Elisabeth Ogilvie's 1944 novel of the same name. I will definitely check it out. I love Elisabeth Ogilvie's novels...
All right! You just gave us some cool new reading ideas. It looks like the author wrote a whole series of books about life on the Maine coast, beginning with "High Tide at Noon". Apparently, she spent a lot of time on Criehaven island. Thanks for the tie-in to the original story!
I wonder why the movie producers decided to set the story in Nova Scotia instead?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,658,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Hey all...

I saw a great documentary last night called "Billy the Kid". It was filmed in and around Lisbon Falls where this quirky, yet wise teenage boy lived.

He wasn't diagnosed until after filming, but apparently he has Asperger's. The movie was filmed around 2006 when Billy was 15. The movie really stuck with me and I'm curious about what he's up to today.

If you like off beat gems, you'll enjoy this movie.

I loved Billy the Kid! You can't help buy root for him and care about Biily and his family.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
i drove thru gilead last week,,pretty area, had my eye out for that x vet livin in the woods,,,must be cold this time of year..

use to drive thru deer isle alot,,the scenery looks alot like pet cemetary

salem's lot - is my favorite place..

Old 03-19-2016, 02:07 PM

64 posts, read 60,541 times
I'm updating my list of Maine movies to watch and ran across this list of Films Made in Maine on the Maine Film Office site. And the MFVA lists the winners of the Maine Short Film Festival, some of which are shot in Maine. Wikipedia also has a long list of films set in Maine. Has anyone seen the black comedy from 1971 called A New Leaf with Walter Matthau and Elaine May? That's going on my list. (Interesting backstory on Wikipedia about editing disputes with Elaine May.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine