Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Truthfully I peed on my truck door to open it once during an small ice storm. I was out hunting rabbits in the freezing rain and the door was frozen shut when I got back. Hey it worked!! Generally hot water does the trick. Trouble is they refreeze fast.
I can just see me trying this some time... climbing on top of an ice-covered truck and... do I take my jeans off FIRST or try to rearrange stuff after I am sitting on top of the cab... and would the urine cool enough by the time it reached the bottom of the door -- running down the side -- as to make matters WORSE.

I guess if I am planning to park the truck somewhere in an ice storm, I better make sure there is a guy handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I can just see me trying this some time... climbing on top of an ice-covered truck and... do I take my jeans off FIRST or try to rearrange stuff after I am sitting on top of the cab... and would the urine cool enough by the time it reached the bottom of the door -- running down the side -- as to make matters WORSE.

I guess if I am planning to park the truck somewhere in an ice storm, I better make sure there is a guy handy.
Oh dear.... Life is really tough out there

Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Oh dear.... Life is really tough out there
LOL Actually I have not yet got a door stuck shut badly enough that a stout pull wouldn't suffice. That being said, I do not lock the doors (just don't put/keep any "attractions" in the vehicle) any more. I haven't locked my truck for years, but was locking my SOs Subaru... until the lock iced one night while I was at work. Silly car has a lock (place to put in a key, that is) on ONLY ONE door, so the "try them all" trick didn't work.

What did work -- thankfully there was not a lot of condensation in the keyhole -- was putting my un-gloved hands over the lock and letting them warm it a bit.

I did have to thoroughly beat up on the garage door several times during the last ice storm, in order to get it open. A boot in several places along the bottom of the door and a fist applied vigorously up and down the sides finally allowed me to lift the extra-heavy, ice-coated door.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Shortly before Christmas you need to spray your car door seals with silicone. Your doors will not freeze shut. At the same time you need to spray lock deicer into your door locks. Prevention is much safer than the Starwalker plan which would require a funnel at the very least.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:21 AM

476 posts, read 748,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Shortly before Christmas you need to spray your car door seals with silicone. Your doors will not freeze shut. At the same time you need to spray lock deicer into your door locks.
Great advice. I'll add an annually-recurring reminder to my calendar… thanks!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have found that empty soda bottles are often handy things to have around. They are good for holding fluids, carrying fluids, and they give you the ability to apply fluids when and where you wish to apply fluids. Perhaps for the ladies who may find that they need to handle fluids in such a manner, I suggest using an empty soda bottle.

I am also in favor of spraying WD-40 and/or silicone spray into locks and locking mechanisms.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 AM

163 posts, read 295,433 times
Quote:
Truthfully I peed on my truck door to open it once during an small ice storm. I was out hunting rabbits in the freezing rain and the door was frozen shut when I got back. Hey it worked!! Generally hot water does the trick. Trouble is they refreeze fast.
Getting off topic, but this brings back memories. Many moons ago I ran a Timberjack skidder with the spark arrestor housing mounted on the ROPS. I guess alot of pine and hemlock needles had acumulated there, and on a hot August day I suddenly smelled fire out in the middle of the woods. After finding the source of the fire I used the same method as Maineah. I guess it was a good thing that I was hydrated enough in that heat to have just enough in the reservoir to put the fire out. Took quite some time to get the smell out of that machine.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
I wasn't discrimating against the other sex... but if it works it works.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have found that empty soda bottles are often handy things to have around. They are good for holding fluids, carrying fluids, and they give you the ability to apply fluids when and where you wish to apply fluids. Perhaps for the ladies who may find that they need to handle fluids in such a manner, I suggest using an empty soda bottle.

I am also in favor of spraying WD-40 and/or silicone spray into locks and locking mechanisms.
I find that drinking lots of beer gives you ample fluid to aim at anything you need to thaw out. Beer saves lives!!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Quote:
I find that drinking lots of beer gives you ample fluid to aim at anything you need to thaw out. Beer saves lives!!

I hate to say it but...
Some of us have REALLY bad aim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine