Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
More often than not, I truly believe the use of deadly force is justified. Unless you are there, in that situation, you really don't know what they were faced with.

It's very easy, after the fact or even reading it in the news to sit here and pontificate what else could have been done but in the moment, you have seconds to react.

Are there some bad cops out there? Of course there are but I think we don't always get the whole story from the media, (because they are not biased AT all!!!), and I think we don't have a clue as to what these people face on a daily basis.

In the end, these cops need to be able to go home to their families, safe and if they feel the need to use deadly force, I'm betting that 99% of the time, it was most certainly justified.

I think we as a society need to stop being so harsh on police officers. They are out there, serving and protecting and we don't have to deal with the scum of the earth that they deal with. It takes a person of great strength, mentally, to be a successful police officer so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's rare that one is trigger happy....they all know it's going to be investigated. Chances are, when they say it's justified, it's justified.

The paraplegic one--seems far fetched but again, I haven't read the story, I don't know all of the facts, I wasn't there...I just don't let a few bad apples soil my impression of the police.

I was an MP and even though we have "disciplined" people who do bad things...again, you just don't know until you are in that situation. You would not believe some of the crap that people try to pull.

I don't have it in me to be a civilian cop...I'm not that strong, in character.
very well said

maine isnt a high crime state,

Ive lived in this same house for 19 years without locking the front door, and have left keys in the car overnight, without a worry...is that because we have a proficient police department in town?? nope -(we dont have a police department)

cops have to deal with the filth of society, everyday, a bad day for me is being stressed, a bad day for a cop, may be his last (day)

until proven otherwise, I give most all cops well deserved respect and thank them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I would love to take you and put you in uniform and say hey.. go for it.... It a whole different ball game when your life is on the line.. when every dicision you make is scrutinized..
Flycessna, you know nothing about me. You don't know whether or not I work in law enforcement. You are jumping to conclusions are you not? Maybe your assumption that I should wear a uniform and I'd feel differently is just as wrong as the officer shooting someone driving away. Come to think of it, I believe it is. I speak from experience when I say not all officers are trained at the same level, is that not true?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
My observations are the cops in general have gone from being Andy of Mayberry to little shaved head Nazis in the past 30 years. I used to go to a local gun shop for many years. Every Friday dozens of the local cops showed up there to pick up weapons, buy bullets and just banter among themselves. This was the place the local cops from many surrounding towns bought their service arms. It was always a congenial place until about 15 years ago when this" little gestapo" attitude surfaced. An attitude where the cop is ALWAYS right and the civilian is always wrong and they will back each other up no matter what. I could not believe the absolute moronic crap coming from supposed law officers. The longer I stayed and listened the more appalled I was. These people REVELED in the fact they could shoot another human being. It was like it was it was a badge of distinction to "take out " a perp. They bantered back and forth about how they would do it, how most perps "DESERVED" it and how they would ultimately get away with doing it. They all shaved their hair off and in an act of "brotherhood" and resembled skinheads. Most of them still have this idiotic look today. I took my time walking among them , looking at guns, listening to their bulls**t and wondering how in the world "normal" people could ever defend themselves from these creeps. Maybe not all cops are bad but I got my fill of these clowns over the years. So much so I'd have to think long and hard before I ever called them for anything. Your town may be different but be aware there are some real nasty peope calling themselves peace officers these days.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM

326 posts, read 433,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The one I always liked was where the paraplegic was threatening the cops with a knife. They shot him dead. It was deemed justified.
Is it really true AustinB?? I'm sorry but I had to laugh on that one...
(I said I was sorry!)

Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM

379 posts, read 512,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My observations are the cops in general have gone from being Andy of Mayberry to little shaved head Nazis in the past 30 years. I used to go to a local gun shop for many years. Every Friday dozens of the local cops showed up there to pick up weapons, buy bullets and just banter among themselves. This was the place the local cops from many surrounding towns bought their service arms. It was always a congenial place until about 15 years ago when this" little gestapo" attitude surfaced. An attitude where the cop is ALWAYS right and the civilian is always wrong and they will back each other up no matter what. I could not believe the absolute moronic crap coming from supposed law officers. The longer I stayed and listened the more appalled I was. These people REVELED in the fact they could shoot another human being. It was like it was it was a badge of distinction to "take out " a perp. They bantered back and forth about how they would do it, how most perps "DESERVED" it and how they would ultimately get away with doing it. They all shaved their hair off and in an act of "brotherhood" and resembled skinheads. Most of them still have this idiotic look today. I took my time walking among them , looking at guns, listening to their bulls**t and wondering how in the world "normal" people could ever defend themselves from these creeps. Maybe not all cops are bad but I got my fill of these clowns over the years. So much so I'd have to think long and hard before I ever called them for anything. Your town may be different but be aware there are some real nasty peope calling themselves peace officers these days.
I totally agree. Most cops have become complete d*cks. Every cop I know, and I know several personally, do all the things that they arrest people for. They cheat on their wives, they smoke marijuana, they start fights, they drive drunk, they speed (and I mean speed- like 90 in a 55). Sorry Officer D*ckhead, the brakes on your car don't stop any sooner than the brakes on my car.

Never in my life has a cop ever assisted me with something in a positive manner. Always accusatory and negative. "You seem nervous, sir. Why are you acting nervous?" Maybe because some 250 lb corrupt meathead is treating me like Charles Manson. Yet somehow in my town they have 80 cops who speed all over and give people tickets everywhere.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM

163 posts, read 295,384 times
I have to agree with Maineah. Cops used to have more common sense and showed more restraint. That being said, the type of people they have to confront on a daily basis are far different than a few decades ago.

It also depends on the level of law officer. State police usually are better trained and more intelligent compared to local cops. Just my experience. Rule # 1 when dealing with a cop - show respect. It can be frustrating, especially when dealing with a real dumb one.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Flycessna, you know nothing about me. You don't know whether or not I work in law enforcement. You are jumping to conclusions are you not? Maybe your assumption that I should wear a uniform and I'd feel differently is just as wrong as the officer shooting someone driving away. Come to think of it, I believe it is. I speak from experience when I say not all officers are trained at the same level, is that not true?
I can't comment on a shooting that took place less than a few days ago. I know nothing about it.... as do you? So I am not going to jump to conclusions... I have questions also... shooting at or from a moving vehicle is also something many agencies have addressed in their own Personal Orders because of the dangerous nature it presents.. So I dont know what happend and why it happened...

But the other shootings you chose to bring up have had extensive investigations into them.. I have read up on all but one of them.. When your there there are many many factors to consider other then.... hey the cop should have done this, or hey the cop shouldn't have done that..

How do I know you were not a cop.. Very simple.. No cop on the planet who did this job successfully for more than 6 months would feel the way you do... It would never happen...

But hey your not alone... Look at the other ridiculous comments made here..

But I am sincere about recomending to you that joining a citiezens police academy would be a great thing. I think they are one of the best things to come along.. I have seen many folks like yourslef who feel exactly like you and after spending the few months learning, and yes even riding around with police, change very quickly their opinion about how and why things are handled like they are...

Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,651 times
There was a shooting death in Cyr Plantation last year. The law enforcement officers were found to be justified. I lost a lot of faith in the law enforcement community's ability to investigate itself as a result. The basic facts lead a fair-minded person to say the killing was not justified.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
Yep, back in the 90's. Down around Brunswick or Portland.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There was a shooting death in Cyr Plantation last year. The law enforcement officers were found to be justified. I lost a lot of faith in the law enforcement community's ability to investigate itself as a result. The basic facts lead a fair-minded person to say the killing was not justified.
Really, what are the basic facts?

Office of the Maine AG: News: Attorney General’s Findings re: April 23, 2010 Cyr Plantation Shooting

To me there was nothing in the report that suggested the cops were trigger happy... A Man points a gun at me.. I am not waiting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine