Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones1016 View Post
Mark S you said you are looking to move bangor. that is also our first choice for relocation. where would you be moving from? we are in atlanta with 2 small kids and can't stand it here. let me know if find out anything about bangor good or bad. I have been doing a lot of research-right now I am sold. we are going upto visit anld look at homes in dec.
Right now, we're in the Seattle/Tacoma area. We hate it. It's gorgeous here. The mountains and ocean are lovely. Don't mind the weather. Great coffee. But the urban sprawl is out of control, traffic is terrible, and crime is getting worse every day. We've had drugs and hookers on our street, and the local gangbanger-wannabes are a constant headache.

Anyway, the research we have done so far is strictly through books, videos, and the internet.

Concerning Bangor, the good:

1.) Affordable real estate. Our family will still be able to afford a sizeable home in the area.
2.) Weather. People complain about the harsh Maine winters, but me? I like snow. And I don't mind a hot summer as long as it doesn't last for 6 months. Living in Washington, we've grown fond of mountains and ocean, and Bangor is within driving distance of both.
3.) Low crime. No place is perfect, but the gang culture and severe underground drug culture doesn't seem to have hit northern Maine yet.
4.) Culture. Bangor has an interesting history, beautiful landscape, and a university in the area, which appeals to us not only for our own benefit, but for the kids as they grow older. It has bookstores, restaurants, etc., so you don't feel like you're totally in the sticks, but lots of the "big city" headaches (gangs, traffic, pollution, urban sprawl) don't seem to be a big part of Bangor life. Yet. Let's hope it stays that way.
5.) Personally, I like the more blue-collar outlook on life. I'm a rather progressive minded person myself, but I can't stand the hippy-dippy liberalism of Washington State. I like the blue-collar, live-and-let-live, help-your-neighbor attitude that many Mainers are reputed to have.

The bad:

1.) High taxes. Maine has one of the highest tax burdens in the US. This is a major concern for us, since we are going to take a big pay cut to make the move.
2.) Winter heating costs. As much as I love snow, the cost to heat a home during the winter is a major concern. I've discovered that many houses in Maine are heated with oil, and I'm sure you've seen what oil prices are doing these days. Scary.
3.) The economy. Maine is a "struggling" economy to put it nicely. My wife and I think we may have found a way to make it, but our kids are going to grow up and need a living. From what we've read (locals could hopefully give a firsthand account of this), Maine just doesn't offer a whole lot beyond tourism, the health care industry, and fishing. And fishing is dying.
4.) Xenophobia. Mainers have a reputation for being rather close-minded and stand-offish toward newcomers. Is this deserved? I don't know. Hopefully, locals could offer some opinions here. My instinct is that being accepted in a community has as much (or more) to do with your own attitudes than with those of locals. I had a Mainer tell me that Mainers don't like people "puttin' on airs," and that's just fine by me. I come from a very blue-collar background, and I'm a big believer in localized economies, family life, and taking care of your own. But that can have a dark side. So I don't know. It's one of the big reasons we are taking a trip there ourselves early next year.
5.) Health insurance. Locals have expressed some concern about the state of health insurance in Maine. Dirigo? I think it is. Anyway, it's something to keep in mind.

If you have more questions, let me know. Just so you know, there are a few Mainers who post here regularly. Steven Lear, in particular, was a big help to me. You might PM him.

You are going in December, eh? PLEASE let us know what you find out!!! We aren't going to be able to make a trip till next spring, and we'd love to get your feedback.

If there's anything else I can do to help you out, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
4.) Xenophobia. Mainers have a reputation for being rather close-minded and stand-offish toward newcomers. Is this deserved? I don't know. Hopefully, locals could offer some opinions here. My instinct is that being accepted in a community has as much (or more) to do with your own attitudes than with those of locals. I had a Mainer tell me that Mainers don't like people "puttin' on airs," and that's just fine by me. I come from a very blue-collar background, and I'm a big believer in localized economies, family life, and taking care of your own. But that can have a dark side. So I don't know. It's one of the big reasons we are taking a trip there ourselves early next year.

Mainers are rude,unfriendly to each other and have a pernicious demeanor to each other. With newcomers Mainers can be open with that attitude,but the attitude prevails among native Mainers as well.

Last edited by Marka; 09-10-2006 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-10-2006, 04:52 AM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
If coming from Seattle
try eastern Connecticut- Colchester (pop15,000) 22 miles SE of Hartford-has a Starbucks- town green with gazebo- 17 miles to the shore and New London Groton. Not far from Mystic Sealife and more, wineries in the area numerous. Median home price 255K-1 hour from Providence, 35 minutes to the Ocean beaches in Rhode Island including turn of the 19th century resort Watch Hill- Newport just to the east.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
If coming from Seattle
try eastern Connecticut- Colchester (pop15,000) 22 miles SE of Hartford-has a Starbucks- town green with gazebo- 17 miles to the shore and New London Groton. Not far from Mystic Sealife and more, wineries in the area numerous. Median home price 255K-1 hour from Providence, 35 minutes to the Ocean beaches in Rhode Island including turn of the 19th century resort Watch Hill- Newport just to the east.
Thanks for the suggestion, but based on what we're seeing, CT is way too expensive for us. We need to be able to get a 4-6 bedroom home in a safe neighborhood for no more than $200k, and I haven't found any place in CT where that is possible. Do you know of any?

Old 09-10-2006, 06:36 PM

46 posts, read 141,372 times
Thanks for the informative reply Mark S. You've been doing your research also! I have talked (email) with Steven quite a lot also and plan to tour the city and look at houses with him when we visit in Dec. We are also working on lining up job interviews for my husband and I.
I cannot believe how beautiful and affordable the housing is in Maine! The low crime, clean air and small town feel makes us ready to leave Atlanta right now. There is not anything good about Atl for us right now except that our families and friends are here. The city really has nothing to offer for a family-unless you like traffic.
I don't know if you have seen the book, but Bangor was written up in 50 Fabulous Places to Raise your Family. Bangor has undergone some major improvements in the past decade. The downtown area seems so quaint. We are so excited about our trip and will definitely let you know what we think.
We are definitely going to fit in with a blue collar comm. I am a RN and my husband is a landscaper. He owns his own business here, but hopefully will work for someone else in Bangor.
We are hoping the cost of oil and taxes will balance out with the fact that we will prob buy a house for half of what we sell ours here in Atl. If our house payment is half as much we should be able to carry the cost of oil and taxes.
Also, a huge savings will be sending our children to public school. Here we would definitely be sending our kids to a Catholic school which is a huge financial and time commitment. A private school 15 miles away can take 1 hour to get to and from in the morning and afternoon. Which means I cannot work during the week only weekends.
thanks for your input and let me know if you have questions for me. I will glady share our findings in Dec. we travel the first week of that month!
Very excited about leaving atlanta-
Rebecca

Old 09-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
You can buy a new 3 bedroon colonial with 2 baths family room, fireplace, on nearly 1 acre double garage for for 330K-

In Coventry CT a colonial 1568 square feet 4 bedrooms 2 baths fireplace 255K
New 2000 square foot home one half acre 3 bedrooms 2 baths lake view den basement 260K

Connecticut is not high
All of those are way more than we can afford. We need at least 4 bedrooms, and 5 or 6 would be nice. But we're topped out at $200k. So thanks for the thought, but I think CT is way beyond our means at this time.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I cannot believe how beautiful and affordable the housing is in Maine! The low crime, clean air and small town feel makes us ready to leave Atlanta right now. There is not anything good about Atl for us right now except that our families and friends are here. The city really has nothing to offer for a family-unless you like traffic.
I have a good friend who lives in Conyers, not too far from Atlanta. They can't wait to get out.

Quote:
We are hoping the cost of oil and taxes will balance out with the fact that we will prob buy a house for half of what we sell ours here in Atl. If our house payment is half as much we should be able to carry the cost of oil and taxes.
That's our hope as well. The high taxes and heating costs scare me, but the low housing costs will hopefully balance things out.

Quote:
Also, a huge savings will be sending our children to public school. Here we would definitely be sending our kids to a Catholic school which is a huge financial and time commitment. A private school 15 miles away can take 1 hour to get to and from in the morning and afternoon. Which means I cannot work during the week only weekends.
I know exactly what you mean. We send our children to Catholic school here. The hit in finances is painful, but the public schools here are too unsafe for us to do otherwise. Ours is only about 4 miles away though, so that does help.

Quote:
thanks for your input and let me know if you have questions for me. I will glady share our findings in Dec. we travel the first week of that month!
Very excited about leaving atlanta-
Rebecca
I wish you all the best. Are you at all concerned about traveling there in December? There's a pretty decent chance you'll be driving in snow.

Keep us posted. I hope you love Bangor and come back with all sorts of information for the rest of us.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:18 AM

46 posts, read 141,372 times
We decided to travel during the winter because that is off season for my husband's business. Also, we knew we would fall in love with Maine in the Spring and Summer. We want to go up in Winter to see if we can stand the cold.
Hopefully, we won't get snowed in!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:50 AM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
I suggest Mark you look into the following towns in eastern Connecticut via realtor.com- Vernon, Manchester, Willington, Coventry, East Windsor,

You might be surprised at what you find- as cheap as Bangor-no, but still a great value for the location- being 75-90 minutes from Boston, 50 minutes from Providence, 20 minutes to Hartford, 50 minutes to the shore, and 2.5 hours to NYC.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:54 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Again, before you buy, compare municipal tax rates and possibly save $100's of dollars a year just over a town line. University of Maine, Orono is a great school and there are many, many properties from in the $80's on up within a reasonable drive to the school. Old Town may have tax issues due to the closure of the paper mill, so do your homework, but purchase prices are very reasonable for homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine