Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,632 times

Advertisements

I have the motor mount ordered and on the way from LL Bean. Thanks for the cable info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Before you venture forth in any new boat, dump it and see what happens. You will be surprised by how low your pfd allows you to float...assuming you were wearing it and not scrambling to gather all your fishing gear that wasn't tied down.

Cold water story in your neck of the woods a few years ago. motor driven canoe turned over in cold water on a lake. guy and his dog. Dog died of hypothermia. You can float for quite some time in a lake and go nowhere as opposed to dumping in a river and eventually drifting to shore.

Cold water is nothing to take lightly.

In either a *** or canoe are you ready for this in 39* water?

Photo of me this year on the Kenduskeag, courtesy of the Farren photography studio in Bangor.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Before you venture forth in any new boat, dump it and see what happens. You will be surprised by how low your pfd allows you to float...assuming you were wearing it and not scrambling to gather all your fishing gear that wasn't tied down.

Cold water story in your neck of the woods a few years ago. motor driven canoe turned over in cold water on a lake. guy and his dog. Dog died of hypothermia. You can float for quite some time in a lake and go nowhere as opposed to dumping in a river and eventually drifting to shore.

Cold water is nothing to take lightly.

In either a kayak or canoe are you ready for this in 39* water?

Photo of me this year on the Kenduskeag, courtesy of the Farren photography studio in Bangor.
I don't understand this attraction for canoes and kayaks.

Only advantage of a kayak or canoe I can see is they would be easy to carry on land and narrow enough to fit through tight spots on the water or when carried thtough brush ashore. And their narrow beam might require less energy to propel them.

But for open waters a rowboat seems safer, roomier, and more comfortable, while still being easy enough for one person to launch.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post

Only advantage of a kayak or canoe I can see is they would be easy to carry on land and narrow enough to fit through tight spots on the water or when carried thtough brush ashore. And their narrow beam might require less energy to propel them.

But for open waters a rowboat seems safer, roomier, and more comfortable, while still being easy enough for one person to launch.
No doubt a rowboat is better for some things. They draw much more water than a canoe or kayak so that can really be an issue on some rivers. There are places I go where we cross sand bars and shallow areas that you'd never get across in a rowboat.
Row boats are generally heavier and harder to but on a roof rack so most people trailer them. It's tough to haul a trailer back into the woods so again the canoe gets the nod. Row boats make good tenders for moored boats. They are stable in a chop and can hold quite a bit of gear. In Maine we call them punts.
I would rather have something in the range of a 14-16 foot open aluminum boat with about a 15-20 hp outboard on it to fish ponds and lakes.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I have the motor mount ordered and on the way from LL Bean. Thanks for the cable info!
Let us know how you like it after you get a chance to try it a couple of times.
Oh yeah BTW you need to register the canoe at your town office and put numbers on the side of it or the game warden will get you for an unregistered boat. Ask me how I found that out!!! He let me go with a warning and I went down to the town office and registered both of my canoes. There are decal makers on ebay that will make your decals right up with your numbers. They are far easier than trying to stick on individual numbers and get them lined up properly. Plus they're inexpensive. The state will also grab you $10.00 for a stupid milfoil irradication sticker. That's a whole 'nother topic.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Big lakes are dangerous for use with many canoes, kayaks and idiots, especially if you run solo and cannot re-enter. This is what you need for big windy lakes.

http://www.adirondack-guide-boat.com/

A boat is a tool. Think of a canoe as a shoe. The variety of appropriate footware rivals the amount of canoes one can accumulate. You can use a chisel as a screwdriver but it wouldn't ne right.

Needs are situational and personality dependant. Poor choices have consequences.

One thing about boats is the lighter they are the more you will use them. The heavier canoes stay home. I have a 1/4 mile portage to the local river over pasture and field. I can carry a 63 lb boat up and down that hill but it is much more pleasant and spontaneous with a 40lb boat. The wood and canvas Old Town at around 75lbs has become a special occassion boat.

Then there is the person that hates technology, motors, trailers, their cost, storage and trip preparation. A canoe fills the bill for the person who wants simplicity. Any problem is immediately evident, no technician or diagnostics required. Of course with any choice you are restricted and that's just fine.

Canoes let you run shallow water for hunting and trapping, leave no trace, make no noise. You can scull or paddle a canoe to sneak up on critters or travel upstream. Each boat, canoe, kayak or motored skiff has it's place.

Safety first or become a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:40 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post

Ummmm, those are fairly significant advantages.

As Kracer said, every situation is different and calls for a certain type of craft; I wouldn't paddle a canoe 6 miles out into Lake Ontario to fish for salmon, but neither would I take a 20 foot Wilker up a trout stream.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,632 times
Trust me I know about "the idiots" out there! My last boat before moving back here was a 40' Ka Shing trawler kept on S-F bay. I know the feeling of being out in 10 to 12 foot seas and as you are going down one you suddenly see a kyaker at the bottom.........and they think its you who is the idiot!
I only plan on canoeing ponds and small streams.....no trawler there I hope!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Big lakes are dangerous for use with many canoes, kayaks and idiots, especially if you run solo and cannot re-enter. This is what you need for big windy lakes.

http://www.adirondack-guide-boat.com/

A boat is a tool. Think of a canoe as a shoe. The variety of appropriate footware rivals the amount of canoes one can accumulate. You can use a chisel as a screwdriver but it wouldn't ne right.

Needs are situational and personality dependant. Poor choices have consequences.

One thing about boats is the lighter they are the more you will use them. The heavier canoes stay home. I have a 1/4 mile portage to the local river over pasture and field. I can carry a 63 lb boat up and down that hill but it is much more pleasant and spontaneous with a 40lb boat. The wood and canvas Old Town at around 75lbs has become a special occassion boat.

Then there is the person that hates technology, motors, trailers, their cost, storage and trip preparation. A canoe fills the bill for the person who wants simplicity. Any problem is immediately evident, no technician or diagnostics required. Of course with any choice you are restricted and that's just fine.

Canoes let you run shallow water for hunting and trapping, leave no trace, make no noise.
You can scull or paddle a canoe to sneak up on critters or travel upstream. Each boat, canoe, kayak or motored skiff has it's place.

Safety first or become a candidate for a Darwin Award.
A few years ago I paddled up a stream where we get fiddleheads. Not many people paddle the stream as it has tons of logs and branches across it. I managed to get by them and as I turned a bend in the stream there was a very pretty blonde lady lying nude on the shore sunning herself. She never heard me coming and was a bit taken back when I landed the canoe across from her. Her boyfriend was back to fishing and he never saw me either. He finally saw me and said huskily :get your clothes back on!"I just said.."sorry I'm fiddleheading" She had a sly little smile going as she put her shirt back on. It was priceless.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Her boyfriend was back to fishing and he never saw me either. He finally saw me and said huskily :get your clothes back on!"I just said.."sorry I'm fiddleheading"
You always go fiddleheading naked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine