Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
How long do they last?
It depends on the weather. Two years ago we still had them here in August. It was a wet, cold summer. If it's hot and dry they're usually gone by early July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I read somewhere , that it's just the female mosquito that bites.

I buy the cheap bug spray from reny's and mardens, and lay it on thick,,,works most of the time

one of the best things that works is this combination sun screen bug repellent, and it doesnt stink so bad-think it was -off

mosquitos and black flies are annoying, but the true terrorist of the bug family, is the may/deer fly they
buzz around your head, and have quite a bite-if you get a few of them buzzing around you...they will disrupt anything you are doing..

yrs ago i went fishing, with a friend, and he's rubbing gas all over his arms, saying this is the best repellent in the world, if you can stand the smell, never did it myself, and dont advise this to people that smoke...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Deerflies zero in on the back of the neck and wow does that bite hurt. I've seen fishermen and loggers either tie kerchiefs around their necks or hang them from the back of their hats to cover their necks. Cuts down on the sunburn, too. Headnets work sometimes, but I've had deerflies bite right through if the net is laying against the skin.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM

27 posts, read 47,175 times
So when do the flies go back to wherever they came from?? And when is tick season?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It depends on the weather. Two years ago we still had them here in August. It was a wet, cold summer. If it's hot and dry they're usually gone by early July.
If there isn't a blanket of snow on the ground, it's tick season.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If there isn't a blanket of snow on the ground, it's tick season.
Lots of ticks around this year. I have a buddy that got the classic bulls eye rash a couple of weeks ago. He's to stubborn to go to at doctor so he'll probably end up with full blown Lyme disease soon. No blackfiles at the fiddleheading spot last Tuesday. It was a pleasant surprise.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Deerflies zero in on the back of the neck and wow does that bite hurt. I've seen fishermen and loggers either tie kerchiefs around their necks or hang them from the back of their hats to cover their necks. Cuts down on the sunburn, too. Headnets work sometimes, but I've had deerflies bite right through if the net is laying against the skin.

Deer flies can be trapped/killed relatively easy and cheaply, although you will look kind of silly doing it.....

Check your local garden center for a product called tangletrap, made by the tanglefoot company. Its basically a clear, very very sticky substance. I got a container last year and still have more than half left....You coat either a blue 16oz plastic beer cup, or some sort of bright blue object. Then "troll" your yard, like you were fishing.... There is even people that have painted larger objects that blue color, then mounted them on the front of their lawn tractors. Something about the blue color attracts the deer flies, they will land on the object before they land on your neck, then once they land they cant fly away.

The other thing with the deer flies is they only see horizontal movement.... they wait for a person or animal to walk by, then they ambush. So these blue traps will only work when u are walking around or mowing, biking, whatever. People have even mounted them on the top of cheap dollar store hats.

I didnt get bit once here in knox county last year.... plus i trapped n killed atleast 100 of these little devils. This year I am going to make a mount for the riding mower so I dont have to hold it. Last year I used a piece of bamboo and would drive around holding the stick with one hand above my head..... probably quite the site to see for the people that might drive by.

The first few days you do this, you will trap dozens, maybe hundreds or thousdands depending on how many you have. This is not my idea.... I just found it last year when we first moved here and I was googling way to enjoy the outdoors without flying bugs.
Its funny cause i never really considered the bugs before I moved here. Ever since i was a kid I wanted to live in maine..... I love the remoteness and overall friendlyness of people, the bugs sort of suck, along with other peoples close mindedness.

I just got swarmed by the black flies taking the dog out back for a few minutes... hopefully soon the dragon flies start hatching, once the dragonfly populations strengthen, the blackflies don't stand a chance.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Lots of ticks around this year. I have a buddy that got the classic bulls eye rash a couple of weeks ago. He's to stubborn to go to at doctor so he'll probably end up with full blown Lyme disease soon.
Like I said, I suspect many people in Maine might be misdiagnosed as having arthritis, when in fact they have advanced Lyme disease, because years earlier they either didn't seek treatment after a tick bite or never even knew they were bitten (because the skin rash does not happen with every infection).

And with so much of Maine's economy dependent on people enjoying the great outdoors, the powers that be might not be too eager for the threat of Lyme disease in Maine to be talked about.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Deer flies can be trapped/killed relatively easy and cheaply, although you will look kind of silly doing it.....

Check your local garden center for a product called tangletrap, made by the tanglefoot company. Its basically a clear, very very sticky substance. I got a container last year and still have more than half left....You coat either a blue 16oz plastic beer cup, or some sort of bright blue object. Then "troll" your yard, like you were fishing.... There is even people that have painted larger objects that blue color, then mounted them on the front of their lawn tractors. Something about the blue color attracts the deer flies, they will land on the object before they land on your neck, then once they land they cant fly away.

The other thing with the deer flies is they only see horizontal movement.... they wait for a person or animal to walk by, then they ambush. So these blue traps will only work when u are walking around or mowing, biking, whatever. People have even mounted them on the top of cheap dollar store hats.

I didnt get bit once here in knox county last year.... plus i trapped n killed atleast 100 of these little devils. This year I am going to make a mount for the riding mower so I dont have to hold it. Last year I used a piece of bamboo and would drive around holding the stick with one hand above my head..... probably quite the site to see for the people that might drive by.

The first few days you do this, you will trap dozens, maybe hundreds or thousdands depending on how many you have. This is not my idea.... I just found it last year when we first moved here and I was googling way to enjoy the outdoors without flying bugs.
Its funny cause i never really considered the bugs before I moved here. Ever since i was a kid I wanted to live in maine..... I love the remoteness and overall friendlyness of people, the bugs sort of suck, along with other peoples close mindedness.

I just got swarmed by the black flies taking the dog out back for a few minutes... hopefully soon the dragon flies start hatching, once the dragonfly populations strengthen, the blackflies don't stand a chance.
Do you think it might be beneficial to pivot horizontal wind-powered vanes atop sticks planted around the perimeter of your yard, whith the ends of the vanes coated with your solution, as a way to control the flies when people are in the yard?

Also, are the flies still a problem when it's very windy, and would that depend on wind direction?

Do they fly about when it's raining?

Are the flies more of a problem if you live near a river, stream, or other body of moving water?

Do the flies not follow you indoors?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
A friend tells me ticks are mostly a southern Maine problem, not so much in central and eastern Maine....true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine