Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times

Advertisements

Which is the better for fishing ponds and lakes? I was considering a canoe so I could take my dog along but a friend suggested looking at kyaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 02:50 PM

326 posts, read 433,925 times
With a dog...Definitely a canoe!
It sounds very relaxing...

Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Which is the better for fishing ponds and lakes? I was considering a canoe so I could take my dog along but a friend suggested looking at kyaks.
Having fished in both, the only advantages to a kayak is its portability and maybe cost. What kind of fishing are you doing? If you are fly fishing then you should keep in mind that a kayak will move around due to the casting motion. Also, you are low to the water in a kayak so you have to watch your backcast. I've had big bass pull the kayak around in Georgia.

Canoes can be almost as light as a kayak, can carry more gear, are easier to fish in, and can carry passengers.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We have two kayaks. They are great.

Though sometimes when I need to haul stuff I do wish for a canoe.

I have tended our maple taps from in a kayak and I found that kind of precarious.

Soon will be fiddlehead season, in a kayak I am very limited to how many 5-gallon buckets [filled with fiddleheads] I can carry with me. With an open canoe I could possible increase how many I carry and make fewer trips.

I think that training a dog to stay in a canoe might be fun. I once trained a German-shepherd to ride on my Goldwing with me, that was exciting.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Kayaks are fun but extremely limited. For fishing, especially with company, a canoe is definitely the better of the two.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:25 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
Yeah, I will be staying very close to shore when Riley my golden goes for his first few trips! Not too much fly fishing, mostly trout fishing and salmon trolling here on Piper Pond.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I have been canoeing for may years. When alone it is easier to control a kayak in the wind. I bought an Old Town Predator foe hunting and fishing both. I have a friend who took a kayak trip from Old Forge, NY to Madawaska,

Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Kayak has less resistence to wind on lakes due to a low profile.

Can you re-enter a kayak if it goes over and you are alone?
Can you re-enter a canoe if it goes over and you are alone?

Both craft, depending on model and your fitness can be re-entered with practice. Unexpected swim, cold water, loss of gear or paddles can complicate the situation.

I'm prejudiced so I'd suggest a canoe.

The lighter the boat the more you will use it. Yaks can weigh as much as some standard canoes. Less than 55 lbs would be ideal. 63-70 lbs is not light despite what the salesman tells you in front of your woman folk while you nod is agreement. Look for a used Wenonah solo boat like the 'encounter' if you want to haul a moose and a large refrigerator. My first choice would be Wenonah's "prism" solo boat.

A good light weight solo canoe is a life changing experience!

Beweare of canoes sold as 'fishing canoes" they tend to less than manueverable tubs. While you may not be interested in hull speed you will be very interested if hull efficiency. Conditions may dictate you need to get the heck out of Dodge or you just want to conserve your strength.

Not unusual for kayakers to develop shoulder problems and many paddling diehards will switch to a canoe where, when you paddle correctly, you use your core and lower back instead of your arms and shoulders.

Check out paddling.net for discussion of all aspects of canoe/kayaking, boat models and extensive classifieds. Pnet also has a forum just for fishing from canoes/kayaks.

The discussion of politics, religion and which canoe to buy should always come with a stern warning that you may lose your friends if disagreements arise.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
A few springs ago a friend and I went on an excursion. He in his kayak and me in my canoe. River current was fast. We came around a bend and encountered a newly blown down tree laying across river. My canoe kind of glanced off branches and went on by. My friend in his kayak hit branches that tipped him and his kayak over. Usually he'd tip right back up but this time he became entangled/trapped in his kayak by the underwater branches. After what seemed forever, he managed to free himself and popped back up. That was scary.
I'm a canoe guy, myself. Although on at least two occasions I've been blown over in my canoe by a strong wind while out on a lake.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
canoe or kayak? seems like your question has already been answered, but here's my 2 cents' worth..... for fishing and/or wanting to carry a dog, gear, and passengers I would choose a canoe. I've tried both with a dog, btw. Old Town Penobscot 16 canoe is a great all around canoe IMO for lakes, ponds, and rivers...60 lbs includes an added center seat and works well for me. A shorter canoe (possibly lighter) is a bit easier, more convenient to carry by yourself. Check out the useful information at the Old Town canoe web site. If you don't want to buy a new one, there's always Uncle Henry's.

Canoes - Old Town Canoes and Kayaks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine