Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times

Advertisements

Leeches are nothing to fear. We grew up swimming in many a river with them. Get one on ya and pull him off. No big deal........bring a salt shaker with you and sprinkle a little salt on them...saute for 30 seconds and you've got yourself a delicacy! (seriously though, salt will shrink the little buggas and they will fall off.) Every fresh water pond and river in this state has leeches.
Here is a good list of waterfalls in the area. Thankfully most are within the 2 counties we call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Leeches are nothing to fear. We grew up swimming in many a river with them. Get one on ya and pull him off. No big deal........bring a salt shaker with you and sprinkle a little salt on them...saute for 30 seconds and you've got yourself a delicacy! (seriously though, salt will shrink the little buggas and they will fall off.) Every fresh water pond and river in this state has leeches.
Here is a good list of waterfalls in the area. Thankfully most are within the 2 counties we call home.

What a fantastic list! I can't wait to see many of those falls in person......and I'd give swimming a shot, leaches or no leaches

Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You'll get leaches at all of those places. They will eat your flesh and you won't be happy. There is a reason people put in pools. They don't have leaches....
We have a pool and it can be pretty nice to have here in the south.......summer can be really long without one, but is it worth the trouble to have one in Maine? How many months use can you get out of one? It's a big expense and a lot of cleaning and chemicals when you can only use it for a short time. I think I'd just look for swimming holes!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
Way back when we used to frequent (if I remember name correctly) Atwoods Quarry. It was in St. George or Tenants Harbor, maybe Port Clyde, I think. Might be wrong on location, maybe someone in area can verify because I'd like to visit it again when I venture out that way. Don't think I could find it again without help.
It was/is a huge rock quarry with rock ledges you jump off into the water. Don't know if its still there or still accessible to public????
It had fresh clean water and no leeches

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Way back when we used to frequent (if I remember name correctly) Atwoods Quarry. It was in St. George or Tenants Harbor, maybe Port Clyde, I think. Might be wrong on location, maybe someone in area can verify because I'd like to visit it again when I venture out that way. Don't think I could find it again without help.
It was/is a huge rock quarry with rock ledges you jump off into the water. Don't know if its still there or still accessible to public????
It had fresh clean water and no leeches
Unfortunately, someone dies swimming in a quarry almost every year in Maine. There's one in Frankfort where several people have died over the years. Every time it happens people hoot and holler about closing it. They gate the road to it and every year someone hooks a chain up to it and rips it down. I guess it's the Darwin factor. If you aren't smart enough to be careful at a quarry, you don't survive. But, anyway, they are more dangerous than a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine