Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
All i know is - i just wanna BE THERE!

One person looked at my house (here in Jersey) at the original asking price; I lowered it a bit and one more person looked. I just cannot go too low - i need money to buy another house, and i want to put some away.

The housing market around my area is just awful right now.
Some areas are saturated with forclosures, short-sales and auctions, so, the cheap competitive inventory is at an all time high for selling a house, however, all it takes is one buyer on any given day to view your house, and it could be sold., gotta be patient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,682 times
The BEST Maine town to grow old in is the WORST Maine town to be young in, I would think.

I will probably end up in Dover like everyone before me. We all come back there to die. The cemetary is in our back yard and we're cheap and don't want to be carted around a lot when we're done. Just point my body toward the house and property to look over it like all the old folks before me.

Am I in a somber mood tonight or what?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,357,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Some areas are saturated with forclosures, short-sales and auctions, so, the cheap competitive inventory is at an all time high for selling a house, however, all it takes is one buyer on any given day to view your house, and it could be sold., gotta be patient
My house went up again on Zillow, and I still have it listed lower than that price - and yes, i'm gonna be patient.

I'm going to finish up work on the main bathroom... then even while i'm here - no matter how long - it will be nice.

I'm keeping my thoughts toward Eastport as my chosen town for now

Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,756,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
The BEST Maine town to grow old in is the WORST Maine town to be young in, I would think.

Am I in a somber mood tonight or what?

So true!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Well I wouldn't want a dead town, with absolutely nothing to do.......yet....

Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM

399 posts, read 855,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well I wouldn't want a dead town, with absolutely nothing to do.......yet....
Well I'm thinking what is a dead town and what does that actually mean to someone? In most towns there is a mixture of older and younger people. Most towns have small shops and probably a food mart of some kind. The towns that have a lot of small shops and lots to do pose one question to me.."How often would you actually use or visit these places"? I would probably not be there everyday at any location. I have a home on a dead end camp road in Maine. And I thought wow, I am on a dead end and no one ever goes by. There are no cars and no traffic. It is very quiet and I don't get to look out the window and see any activity. That bothered me as I thought I would be very bored. But then I thought well, I live on a busy street now in another state and there are always cars and people going by but I don't ever pay much attention to any of them. And when I have to it is usually to get out of my driveway or where someone is making noise or walking by. So what does it really matter that I would live on a dead end on a camp road in a small town? I think one should have a vehicle to travel a little if the urge strikes once in awhile. That's what I'm thinking.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,357,481 times
From what i can see - Eastport seems to have a lot of quiet, private areas... but also has a downtown which they are trying to 'revive;' and it looks like it's happening as far as shops, restaurants, etc. go. I dont really care about having things to DO, but i'd like to have places to eat lol... especially since they even have a bakery, and a couple bars i believe. I think that also shows that the town is not so down and out yet that all the stores have closed down and moved away.

It appears to have that working-class town feel, but also with some cool and funky shops and services. Does anyone have any negative aspects of Eastport to share?

Is anyone closer to making any decisions on a town - and/or moving??

Last edited by Jellybean50; 11-16-2011 at 04:21 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,893,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
From what i can see - Eastport seems to have a lot of quiet, private areas... but also has a downtown which they are trying to 'revive;' and it looks like it's happening as far as shops, restaurants, etc. go. I dont really care about having things to DO, but i'd like to have places to eat lol... especially since they even have a bakery, and a couple bars i believe. I think that also shows that the town is not so down and out yet that all the stores have closed down and moved away.

It appears to have that working-class town feel, but also with some cool and funky shops and services. Does anyone have any negative aspects of Eastport to share?

Is anyone closer to making any decisions on a town - and/or moving??
Uh...no not really negative, but I'm curious if you've been here? Not trying to be harsh or burst bubbles, honest. We have two bars/resteraunts. One closes at 2 PM except for summer. The other only draws a real crowd during happy hour. There are six restaurants all together and most are good. There must be about 12-15 art galleries and an art museum in town. DW had a guy from NY come in one day and ask how many we thought we needed here. The bakery is really good and the coffee house. One grocery store (know what a monopoly does to food prices?) and no pharmacy. We had one but the State stopped making its payments and he went broke. Oh, but we do have a pet boutique.

It is working class although that class is swiftly turning into the retiree/artist class. You can still get some worrk as a sternman arround 5am if you hang out, work hard, and konw some folks. There is quite a few things to do, as long as going tohte mall isn't one of them. Plays, art showings, outdoor stuff. Eastport gets made fun of quite often but there is no where (and I mean no where) that I've been that could ever entice me to move.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post

It is working class although that class is swiftly turning into the retiree/artist class. You can still get some worrk as a sternman arround 5am if you hang out, work hard, and konw some folks. There is quite a few things to do, as long as going tohte mall isn't one of them. Plays, art showings, outdoor stuff. Eastport gets made fun of quite often but there is no where (and I mean no where) that I've been that could ever entice me to move.
Can you say a little about the medical facilities in Eastport & Machias (my former elderly neighbor was a doc in Machias for many years, many years ago).

Also, as far as seniors/elderly go, is there a senior center with any kind of (even occasional) senior transport?

How often do folks venture over the border into Canada?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,893,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Can you say a little about the medical facilities in Eastport & Machias (my former elderly neighbor was a doc in Machias for many years, many years ago).

Also, as far as seniors/elderly go, is there a senior center with any kind of (even occasional) senior transport?

How often do folks venture over the border into Canada?
There is a small medical center in Eastport that is fairly decent, I hear. There have two doctors and a dentist office. Calais and Machias have hospitals. Machias is about 45 minute drive and Calais about 30 minutes. I prefer the Calais hospital myself. I’ve never used the medical center in town. I didn't relish the thought of my visit potentially mentioned at the IGA.

There’s a senior center on Boynton Street that has Meals for Me and some other programs. Seems to me they are open a few times a week. Washington-Hancock Community Association has a small bus that runs Eastport to Calais and around town for a price ($2-$8).

Not sure about the border crossings. There used to be quite a few when I worked INS in Calais. I imagine it has dropped some after 9/11 and the tightened security. I haven’t been over in a few years. We have a ferry in the summer only that goes to Deer Island. From there you can catch a ferry to Campobello or go to the other side of the island to catch the ferry to Blacks Harbor. It’s a nice, scenic ride that goes by the largest whirlpool (Old Sow) in the western hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine