Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
So are you moving to MA or ME? n We don't hate people from MA, they are our life blood in tourism. We just feel sorry for them, since instead of living is a place with the motto of "As life should be!", they live in a place with the motto of "As Life Shouldn't be!".
As native Mass-ers, we just became grandparents for the first time - of twins. This has deterred our plans to move to Maine. We appreciate much about Mass. but would much rather be in your state. That is why I started this thread. We are not spring chickens, but are in our mid-60s. Do not need jobs, and love to volunteer. Also into organic gardening and all things artistic. Although the pull is to stay here, the pull is equal to get back up to Maine asap and look around for a retirement cottage. Any ideas welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM

As a retiree, what I would want in a small town:

- some kind of medical facility and doctors that take Medicare
- a natural foods store and farmers market
- a store like Reny's, my favorite
- good public library
- clean park
- access to the riverfront
- nearby affordable assisted living and nursing home
- in-town (neighborhoods) with easy access to rural but not on rural back roads (old age)

Any Maine town score 8 out of 8? Did I say affordable? (i.e., not Cape E)

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As a retiree, what I would want in a small town:

- some kind of medical facility and doctors that take Medicare
- a natural foods store and farmers market
- a store like Reny's, my favorite
- good public library
- clean park
- access to the riverfront
- nearby affordable assisted living and nursing home
- in-town (neighborhoods) with easy access to rural but not on rural back roads (old age)

Any Maine town score 8 out of 8? Did I say affordable? (i.e., not Cape E)
Ellsworth

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As native Mass-ers, we just became grandparents for the first time - of twins. This has deterred our plans to move to Maine. We appreciate much about Mass. but would much rather be in your state. That is why I started this thread. We are not spring chickens, but are in our mid-60s. Do not need jobs, and love to volunteer. Also into organic gardening and all things artistic. Although the pull is to stay here, the pull is equal to get back up to Maine asap and look around for a retirement cottage. Any ideas welcome.
You should probably really do some serious research and narrow down a geographic area... South/west/east/north.. Maine is a large state by NE standards. if you have family in Mass then maybe try keeping it with in 3 hrs,,

I haven't kept up with the thread but one place you might find interesting is Bridgton. its smack dab in the middle of the lakes region. I believe you can still find affordable housing (cottage) in the area and the area still has amenities. police/Ambulance/hospital ect.. is driving distance to Portland and North Conway NH.. And I find it to be a very nice area along with fryburg.. oh and there is a renys in town

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM

54 posts, read 85,085 times
Some of my co-workers are close to retirement age and the most important thing to them when moving to the home they retire in is distance to a GOOD HOSPITAL. You dont want to be out in the boonies just because it is cheaper and die of something that you might have lived if you had lived closer to a major hospital. I'd look at all the towns within 20 minutes of Portland for this reason.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
You should probably really do some serious research and narrow down a geographic area... South/west/east/north.. Maine is a large state by NE standards. if you have family in Mass then maybe try keeping it with in 3 hrs,,

I haven't kept up with the thread but one place you might find interesting is Bridgton. its smack dab in the middle of the lakes region. I believe you can still find affordable housing (cottage) in the area and the area still has amenities. police/Ambulance/hospital ect.. is driving distance to Portland and North Conway NH.. And I find it to be a very nice area along with fryburg.. oh and there is a renys in town
Thanks ~

Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Ellsworth
And thanks to you as well _

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timthegreat View Post
Some of my co-workers are close to retirement age and the most important thing to them when moving to the home they retire in is distance to a GOOD HOSPITAL. You dont want to be out in the boonies just because it is cheaper and die of something that you might have lived if you had lived closer to a major hospital. I'd look at all the towns within 20 minutes of Portland for this reason.
Maine has 22 hospitals

American Hospital Directory - Individual Hospital Statistics for Maine

Ranked in order of size [major hospitals to tiny], here are the 'top' 50%:
Maine Medical Center Portland
Eastern Maine Medical Center Bangor
Central Maine Medical Center Lewiston
MaineGeneral Medical Center - Thayer Campus Waterville
Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center Lewiston
Mercy Hospital Portland
Penobscot Bay Medical Center Rockport
The Aroostook Medical Center Presque Isle
Goodall Hospital Sanford
Southern Maine Medical Center Biddeford
Saint Joseph Hospital Bangor

Your rule of 20-minutes would then apply to: Portland, Bangor, Lewiston, Waterville, Rockport, Presque Isle , Sanford, and Biddeford. in that order.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Miles Memorial Hospital is in Damariscotta. Miles Memorial Hospital - Welcome That puts Pemaquid, Boothbay, Newcastle, Damariscotta, and Waldoboro within 20 minutes, Wiscasset too, if the traffic is moving on Rt. 1.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM

Anyone here currently living in Bath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine