Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

October is too late.

You must be here during the period 21 September to 23 September, to spend a day in Unity at the Common Grounds fair. It is not like any other fair anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
October is too late.

You must be here during the period 21 September to 23 September, to spend a day in Unity at the Common Grounds fair. It is not like any other fair anywhere.
I'll never forget the look on my daughter's face when she was 4, and we saw the man on the stilts! Talk about priceless!!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:48 AM

191 posts, read 519,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
October is too late.

You are so right. We really need to try to make that happen. I checked it out on line and it sounds fabulous. I have always been interested in organic/community farming - the fair seems to be the perfect place to learn about it and make conacts.
My husband and I are up there already in out hearts....I find I'm getting impatient with the rest of the stuff that needs to fall in place before we get there. Place to live, a job..UGH! We are ready to buy now if we can find that special place (2-10 acreas on water) for 100K or less. I guess we have more homework to do!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoMaine View Post
You are so right. We really need to try to make that happen. I checked it out on line and it sounds fabulous. I have always been interested in organic/community farming - the fair seems to be the perfect place to learn about it and make conacts.
My husband and I are up there already in out hearts....I find I'm getting impatient with the rest of the stuff that needs to fall in place before we get there. Place to live, a job..UGH! We are ready to buy now if we can find that special place (2-10 acreas on water) for 100K or less. I guess we have more homework to do!
Folks are crazy with land prices.

I spoke with one neighbor last night, who is selling two acres of forest with a well and septic, and he wants $44k. While a mile away land is going for $350/acre. But he had spoken with a realtor, who had convinced him that if only he keeps raising his prices, eventually some tourist will buy it.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM

[quote=forest beekeeper;1258373]Folks are crazy with land prices.

Exactly. We fell in love with a 1+ acre lot on the Union river (price 145K!). I could have lived there, a bald eagle flew by, earlier a neighbor had seen a seal on the river rocks. There were deer tracks. BUT...A few streets down a similar lot went for 129K, and we really were looking for bit more land.
Same with the lakes too. 2 parcels (3+ acres each) on Branch lake 147K and 125K. These lots were almost identical. Then I read about your place. We don't want quite so much acreage...but I need some space to just take long walks and appreciate nature. So we may look a little more north, hopefully prices will be better. It's just really hard to know what a fair price is.
We have a nice piece of land here in FL, but it took some scouting to find it, and we had every realtor tell us we would never find what we wanted for the price we were quoting. Looks like we may have to do the same in Maine.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 PM

You do have to hunt for it.

Stay away from those idiot realtors, as they run up the prices and do tend to be greedy.

Far more properties are transferred up here directly between parties without a realtor's involvement. And it keeps the land prices down.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 48,022 times
I lived in Fl. for a bit a few years ago and it is much different than ME. The crime was certainly an eye opener, it is definately lower here. I have to say that I found the people there more welcoming and friendly. I moved from eastern me to southern me and did not have that experience even though I grew up in this state. I think the cost of living is different, the pay is higher here but so is just about everything else. Buy yourself some good fleece clothing and you will be okay. And remember..we don't have the dangerous creepy crawlies found in Fl. Good luck

Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf71 View Post
I lived in Fl. for a bit a few years ago and it is much different than ME. The crime was certainly an eye opener, it is definately lower here. I have to say that I found the people there more welcoming and friendly. I moved from eastern me to southern me and did not have that experience even though I grew up in this state. I think the cost of living is different, the pay is higher here but so is just about everything else. Buy yourself some good fleece clothing and you will be okay. And remember..we don't have the dangerous creepy crawlies found in Fl. Good luck
Thanks. The whole crime thing really is upsetting. I recently found that Ft. Myers had a higher crime rating than NY City. Yikes! On our visits to ME we have found the people to be very friendly - and your drivers are sooo much more polite. But one of the thing I will miss - I have wonderful neighbors here (the kind that drop in and you don't need to straghten your house up for ) My husband insists we will find the same up there. As for the creepy crawlies - that's a definite plus for my husband. I once had to save a snake that got into our house (I favor catch and release whenever possible).

Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 AM

150 posts, read 706,598 times
We bought just over 6 acres in Waldoboro for under 30k.We love the area.It's not on the water but it's close to Camden, Rockland,Boothbay.We will begin building a summer home there,hopefully,next year.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM

32 posts, read 76,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf71 View Post
And remember..we don't have the dangerous creepy crawlies found in Fl.

do you mean the bugs or the people???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine