Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times

Advertisements

LOL!

This is why places like Red Lobster and the Weathervane are a blight on the New England countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
I don't know what a clam cake is....I'm assuming it's like a fish cake or a crab cake? if so, I'm in!

and I didn't think clam strips were even real clams....are they? I had fried clams Monday, first time in a long time and the were VERY yummy! hmmm....sorry if I told you guys that all ready!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Clam strips are made from the neck of the clam. They are actually the 'foot' of the bivalve. They make a great handle for dunking your steamer in drawn butter...YUMMMMM.....!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
oh....I get it....would much rather eat the whole darn thing though!! I love steamers!!....

Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 PM

48 posts, read 129,016 times
Smile best whole-bellied clams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Ewwww...

How dare they serve just the foot of the clam! What do they do with the bellies?

The age old argument in New England is breaded or crumbs. I like crumbs, but breaded is almost like getting two meals in one.

It is difficult, if not impossible to get a good clam cake north of Rhode Island though. Same for stuffed clams.
I think the best whole bellied clams in the world are at the Chickadee in the Lewiston/Auburn area.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I had lunch today at Nooks & Crannies which is actually in Baileyville, not Alexander. I had the special which was excellent. Prompt service, excellent food, cloth napkins and good atmosphere. I was told I missed the proprietor by about 2 minutes, but I left a small supply of my cards in their convenient card holder. I'll be back.

I was down there to photo 160 acres back of beyond.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Arrow It's not fair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I had lunch today at Nooks & Crannies which is actually in Baileyville, not Alexander. I had the special which was excellent. Prompt service, excellent food, cloth napkins and good atmosphere. I was told I missed the proprietor by about 2 minutes, but I left a small supply of my cards in their convenient card holder. I'll be back.

I was down there to photo 160 acres back of beyond.
Aww I missed you there?
I can't believe it!!
I will be looking for those cards tomorrow. I am so sad I miss you. That's not fair!

I'm glad everything was good!

Tami~peachie

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
I have to say that growing up in Ma fried clams was always a special treat. Even as kid I loved them. I came to Maine and when I went to order them one day they asked me (breaded or battered) I have to admit, I never ever been asked that.....ever...So I had no idea...I guessed battered, I was later supremely disappointed but I learned a life lesson.....I love breaded fried clams .....and of course....I have never been asked again.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:50 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I have to say that growing up in Ma fried clams was always a special treat. Even as kid I loved them. I came to Maine and when I went to order them one day they asked me (breaded or battered) I have to admit, I never ever been asked that.....ever...So I had no idea...I guessed battered, I was later supremely disappointed but I learned a life lesson.....I love breaded fried clams .....and of course....I have never been asked again.
I never had fried clams until I was older. As a kid we always dug them and had steamers. When I was a teen I went to a place and had them breaded. I enjoyed them.
Tami~peachie

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM

198 posts, read 354,733 times
Interesting. I lived most of my life in Maine and never heard the term breaded. It was always batter or crumbs. One fried clam in batter is good. It's like eating a huge do-nut, but I've always loved fried clams in crumbs..mmmmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine