Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I feel compelled to point out that I don't care where a person lives. I don't care what the crime statistics are (or aren't for that matter).

My point is, that they have a right to carry a weapon for personal protection - be it in their car or home.
Yes.

Assuming that the person lives in an area where this 'right' is allowed, and has complied with local regulations, then they do have this 'right' to be allowed to carry a weapon.

Right up until the moment when their 'right' is revoked.

Quote:
... Just because someone hasn't been personally affected doesn't necessarily mean that we should all be gun free if we choose not to be is all I'm saying.

Controlling the weapon (be it a gun, knife, or 2 X 4) doesn't control the actions of the person using it.

K - I'm done now.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
When I first saw this thread I thought it was announcing "Bring your Gun to Work Day". All kidding aside, our HR person was not real happy about this.
Great idea! It sure beats 'Take your daughter to work day' or 'Take your dog to work day.'

Besides, many HR people are just social justice robots doing all they can to avoid lawsuits by the moonbat lawyer contingients.

It is high time we got rid of this notion that the work place as one big social engineering experiment. Just look at the mandated employment posters in every business. There is even an office of poster compliance. This issue goes much deeper than just guns in the parking lot.

It is time to roll back regulation in the work place. Stop the madness. If you are not happy with the way your employer runs the shop, you are free to find other employment. The employer's job is to make as much money as productivity will allow, not cater to every special interest group that insists on imposing it's will on them.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. btw, if you happen to see a deer (during hunting season, of course) on your way to or from work, might be your best chance for the season--worked for my dad.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Not only do you have 2 legged vamints yoiu also have the 4 legged variety as well as I understand it the coyote problem is getting worse in many places. Lots of Rabies is around as well.

Unfortunatly in these troubled times many folks can't take care of their pets and releasing them on the roads to fend for themselves and many get sick with various diseases and then come to see anyone [as they have been ingrained to do when sick] IF hou break down at 2 AM and have such critter [2 or 4 legged] like that wouldn't you like some protection? I know I would.

I myself have never woried about having a gun while working it was part of my uniform. BUT I always had one in my vehicle [with a couple of boxes of ammo.

ALSO think of this also as part of your preps for in case of a disaster and you need to get to safety. Many have a firearm in thier bug out bag in the trunk of their cars for such thing as well NOW they can do it without anymore worries if found out.

IF

Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I am referrring to the people on the thread that seem happy with the new law. Hence the "you all"... that is all. Of course, I don't include 1.3 million people in the state of Maine. How would you get that anyway? I am merely responding to the thread. I would certainly hope that 1.3 million people don't feel the need to do this.

I read the heading of the thread and that kinda did it. Silly me!!
It's just as much about freedom and rights as it is about need, probably more about freedom and rights than need in most cases.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I was showing a piece of land to a lady. I wear a vest with my radio, cell phone, GPS, compass etc. There was a branch leaning over the trail and as I lifted it up for the lady, my vest lifted up on my right side exposing my revolver.

"Is that a GUN?" exclaimed the lady.

"Yes, indeed."

"Wha, Why would you carry a GUN?"

"It is the responsible thing to do. If a coyote comes running, snarling and staggering up this trail I can't outrun him to the truck and neither can you. I have to deal with it right then."

She thought about that for a while and said, "OK." She had been told all her life that citizens should not be allowed to have firearms and had never questioned that violation of human rights. This was the first time she had ever seen the simple practicality of carrying a firearm.

Most of these people are strongly pro-choice in certain categories. Many people carry daily. My town has a population of about 900. A few years ago I had permit # 525R. That's 525 permits and mine has been renewed. As I said, it's the responsible thing to do. Remember the lady who had her arm torn off by a pit bull last year? There are many reason for the responsible person to carry. Those who do provide a valuable community service.

I pulled in to a lot beside a post office. There were no cars parked in front. There were three vehicles on the next property. Their drivers were in the post office. My passenger asked me why I parked next door. I knew the other vehicles. I told my passenger that those other vehicles had firearms in them and it's illegal for those citizens to park at the post office. He seemed surprised. He didn't know.

It is the responsibility of law enforcement to apprehend criminals. It is the responsibility of citizens to prevent crime in the first place.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

I pulled in to a lot beside a post office. There were no cars parked in front. There were three vehicles on the next property. Their drivers were in the post office. My passenger asked me why I parked next door. I knew the other vehicles. I told my passenger that those other vehicles had firearms in them and it's illegal for those citizens to park at the post office. He seemed surprised. He didn't know.
My CC permit (in MA) was suspended for a year*** because I left my sidearm in my truck when I went in to pick up a registered letter...not for violating PO rules, but for "improper storage of a firearm".

After re-reading the PO regs, I noticed that they said that the carrying of weapons in the PO was prohibited "...except on official business." As far as I can determine, picking up your mail or whatever would be "official business" and that as long as one does his business and leaves there is no violation. That's my interpretation anyway, and may or may not be incorrect. I may have to make an inquiry for an official determination.

***(And for a sphincter-tightening experience, try responding to a liquor store hold-up alarm in a notorious neighborhood of the Roxbury section of Boston...unarmed and looking very 'out of place'.)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Not only do you have 2 legged vamints yoiu also have the 4 legged variety as well as I understand it the coyote problem is getting worse in many places. Lots of Rabies is around as well.

Unfortunatly in these troubled times many folks can't take care of their pets and releasing them on the roads to fend for themselves and many get sick with various diseases and then come to see anyone [as they have been ingrained to do when sick] IF hou break down at 2 AM and have such critter [2 or 4 legged] like that wouldn't you like some protection? I know I would.

I myself have never woried about having a gun while working it was part of my uniform. BUT I always had one in my vehicle [with a couple of boxes of ammo.

ALSO think of this also as part of your preps for in case of a disaster and you need to get to safety. Many have a firearm in thier bug out bag in the trunk of their cars for such thing as well NOW they can do it without anymore worries if found out.

IF

A gun's also good to have handy if the friendly neighborhood pit bull suddenly snaps for no reason, and decides to rip you apart.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
That's right.

There's already a law against hunting humans, but that doesn't stop people from going postal.

So why should a law against having a gun stop people from going postal?
I watched a guy go postal with a baseball bat one evening, I was glad I was viewing the show from a distance. At one point in time he noticed me watching, slung the bat over his shoulder and took three or four steps in my direction. I pulled out a large caliber revolver and laid it across my lap. He turned around and went away.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,963 times
Only in America. No wonder we have so many shootings across the board in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine