Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Right--could be bat droppings in his attic.
Yeah, that was my thought. They probably spent the winter in your attic (they don't defecate much in the winter), but are now out feeding and having babies up there. That extra excrement and the heat and... abra cadabra... bad smell. Since you are living on the second floor, that's my bet. Here's a good website telling you how to handle it:

Bat Problems | Bat Conservation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Now that it's been warm and I have taken to sleeping with my windows open I have noticed on 2 or 3 occasions a very rank smell wafting through. I sleep on the second floor so I suppose it could be quite a bit away but it sure doesn't smell like it. I remember something about a varmint having quite an odor but can't remember which one. It's not obtrusive like a skunk, but just very rank.....kinda like how a dead mouse smells in a wall. Any ideas????
You live in athens?????

Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
If it were dead, you'd smell it during the day as well. You haven't ticked your neightbors off...have you?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 PM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Bigfoot smells really bad.
DARN! You beat me to it! A squatch was the first thing I thought of, reading the opening post.

Squatches smell so bad in Florida, wading around the wetlands in the warm, humid weather that they're known as the Skunk Ape.

Sightings in Maine, in The Bigfoot Field Researcher's Organization database, which has become kind of the on-line point of record for this uncatalogued animal, are fairly rare, however, especially in the past decade or so. It's theorized that most of Maine is a bit too cold for squatches. Out West, an animal can better respond to winter weather by dropping some elevation, where in New England, by and large, extreme cold is a function of how far north one is and warming up takes more than just walking a mile or so off the mountain.

BFRO: Reports for Maine

(Yes, I think this could be a real animal species.)

Last edited by beltrams; 07-07-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 PM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I've seen/smelled a few red fox that were quite ripe.
Male foxes mark their territory with a musky oil mixed into their urine. We used to have a couple of foxes at the teaching farm/wildlife sanctuary I worked at. They were injured in car accidents and deemed "unreleaseable" so they ended up on display and more times than I could count, visitors would smell the fox and run over to the enclosure, saying they "wanted to see the skunk!"

Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
Thanks for all the input. I actually spotted something in the brush yesterday about 20 yards from my house. Just caught a glimpse but my first instinct was a fox but then it seemed too large. I just saw part of its butt, and it seemed reddish brown and after thiniking about it seemed maybe too bulky for a fox......This was around 9a.m. I thought foxes were more nocturnal.
I don't think it bats. Wouldn't I hear them as well as smell them??
Maybe it really is Sasquatch.....

Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I actually spotted something in the brush yesterday about 20 yards from my house. Just caught a glimpse but my first instinct was a fox but then it seemed too large. I just saw part of its butt, and it seemed reddish brown and after thiniking about it seemed maybe too bulky for a fox......This was around 9a.m. I thought foxes were more nocturnal.
I don't think it bats. Wouldn't I hear them as well as smell them??
Maybe it really is Sasquatch.....
Possibly a raccoon. Always suspect raccoons you see during the day of having rabies, so keep everyone and your pets away from them.

You may or may not hear bats in your attic. Lots of people don't know they have bats until they want to sell their house and the home inspector finds them. Very expensive at that point. Just go up into your attic and take a smell, you know pretty fast.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 AM

827 posts, read 1,673,240 times
Could be BIGFOOT!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Do you live near any hayfields? First cutting should be going on now, followed by the spraying of liquefied manure onto the fields after baling the hay. The fields smell pretty rank for a few days, a change in wind direction could allow you to enjoy the odor of recycled grass.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
no hayfields near here. My attic is very small and the DTV guy was up there in March or April and didn't say anything so I assume theres no bats up there. I haven't seen any tracks around or scat sign but my dog sometimes gets a good sniff going in the morning around the house.....big mystery....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: