Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,192 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the responses. I'm so overdue to get back to that part of the country, it is more likely I may get there next year, hopefully in the fall for some fall foliage photography. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
Default Clark Cove

We regularly have a whole pod of seals in Clark Cove between Clark Island and the mainland to the east of the causeway. We see as many as a dozen nearly every day. One seal always is playing, breaching and rolling. Clark Island area is off of Rt 73 between Rockland and Rt 131.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Blue Hill Bay has a lot of seals. There is a rookery there on the islands in the spring. My son and I paddled out two years ago and we had over 50 seals around us. One very large make came up about 5 feet from me and barked loudly. Seals have very bad breath.

We moved away from them. That seal could easily have flipped me out of my kayak and he had an awesome set of teeth.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times
I've often seen seals and porpoises when walking out the Rockland breakwater on a good day. Once you see either one, you might as well forget about trying to catch any fish, FYI.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,192 times
Thanks for the responses! This is one thing I love about Wa. State, were the seals. Here's a crazy question.. What about Orca whales? I've heard there have been some other whale sightings offshore, but Orca's? I'm figuring if there were sightings in the Gulf of Mexico a couple of years back, they can be close to the Maine coast.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Thanks for the responses! This is one thing I love about Wa. State, were the seals. Here's a crazy question.. What about Orca whales? I've heard there have been some other whale sightings offshore, but Orca's? I'm figuring if there were sightings in the Gulf of Mexico a couple of years back, they can be close to the Maine coast.
No Orcas here. Right whales

Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 PM

161 posts, read 418,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
No Orcas here. Right whales

None that are resident but there have been some seen around Passamaquoddy Bay in the past. It is a rare occurrence.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:14 PM

565 posts, read 935,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I've often seen seals and porpoises when walking out the Rockland breakwater on a good day. Once you see either one, you might as well forget about trying to catch any fish, FYI.

Bumping this thread to ask what time of year you notice them the most? I have been hoping to see a wild seal ever since moving here. Have walked the breakwater probably a dozen times and still havent seen one, almost like I am trying to hard, just gotta let it happen.

Maybe I am going at the wrong time of day? Or is there a certain tide you notice them more?
I normally go in the afternoon, only have went early morning twice and one time it was very foggy.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
In June there is a big seal rookery on the islands west of Newbury neck in Surry. I have seen over 50 at one time. They haul out and sun themselves on the rocky islands. That area is all private property. The best way to see seals in by boat or kayak. My last post in this thread was three years ago. Moderator cut: Off topic remarks removed. The nearest public boat launch is in East Blue Hill, Map 15 in your Maine Atlas. Caution: the water is cold and the tides run faster than you can paddle. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-13-2017 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Discussing moderator actions should not happen in public forums.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,347,933 times
Has anyone gone on a Puffin tour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine