Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM

22 posts, read 47,079 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Maine looking at Augusta, what would be better renting an apartment or renting a room looking for something 400 to 550 dollars? I live in Philadelphia and hate the crime and weather here I plan on staying in Maine then moving to Seattle. seeing that Maine is right here and i can just drive to and from Philly or NYC. what are the jobs like up there? I would be looking to move up there by the spring or late winter. Is Maine rich like most of New England? I'm looking for cold winters cool summers not to many thunderstorms or hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Never heard of us being labeled "rich". Jobs are few and far between from what I hear. Definattely cold winters and cool summers compared to Philly. And no big thunderstorms like down there. However, there are no cheesesteaks as good as Philly up this way either (IMO). Nice 9 or 10 hour drive back and forth for you. Why the indecision on Maine, Washington, commuting to Philly & NY?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriterz View Post
I plan on moving to Maine looking at Augusta, what would be better renting an apartment or renting a room looking for something 400 to 550 dollars?
That should be possible.

I guess it depends mostly on how much stuff you have; furniture, appliances, books, clothes. If you only need a room, or if you need an apartment.

Quote:
... I live in Philadelphia and hate the crime and weather here I plan on staying in Maine then moving to Seattle.
It is my understanding that over-all crime is much lower in Maine as compared to Philly. However even in Maine, it is the cities where you find the higher concentrations of crime [Portland, Augusta, Lewiston/Auburn, Bangor/Brewer].

Last night I attended a meeting in Bangor, one of the discussions was about a ladies need to carry pepper-spray if she gets off work late at night. I was shocked. I live in a fairly rural area, and I do not think of crime being so high as to require anyone to carry pepper-spray. But to Bangor residents, they feel it is prudent.

Is it higher there? Or is it the perception of residents?

I do not know. I suspect it may be like taxes. Mainers often like to complain about their taxes being high. In discussions within groups of Mainers, it is oft repeated that Maine's taxes are the 'highest'. Though such an assertion is done without benefit of fact-checking or reference to other states where taxes are higher. You see, it does not matter if crime or taxes are higher or lower; it is how we perceive the matter, and how that makes us feel about the topic.

On two different forums I have become acquainted with a lady who moved to Skowhegan two years ago from Mass. Now I drive through Skowhegan on occasion, there is a livestock auction yard there. I go there to buy or sell animals and talk to farmers. To my perception the Skowhegan area seems very nice, laid-back, friendly and low crime. This lady moved into an apartment complex that she feels is filled with drug-dealers. She says that police respond to her building weekly to deal with an assortment of drug-addicts and criminals. To her perception Maine has very high crime.

I think that what you will find in Augusta is more about what you bring with you; then it is about what is in Augusta.

Philly, Augusta, then Seattle. I have never lived in Philly, though I have lived in the suburbs of Seattle. I must assume that you have an ulterior motive for this kind of hopping around. Seattle is very trendy, they were the first city I was aware of to opt for city-wide Wifi, so every resident has internet connectivity as a part of their municipal provided services. They are very progressive in that manner.

Quote:
... seeing that Maine is right here and i can just drive to and from Philly or NYC. what are the jobs like up there?
Maine is likewise close to Boston and Providence. I understand that commuting between Portland and Boston is fairly common.

To go as far North as Augusta you may experience fewer jobs though.

Quote:
... I would be looking to move up there by the spring or late winter. Is Maine rich like most of New England? I'm looking for cold winters cool summers not to many thunderstorms or hurricanes.
There certainly are parts of N.E. that are 'rich'. However there are also regions that are not. Some regions seem to be downright poverty stricken.

We do enjoy cooler summers, chilly winters, and not as many thunderstorms or hurricanes as do other parts of the nation.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 AM

219 posts, read 481,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriterz View Post
I'm looking for cold winters cool summers not to many thunderstorms or hurricanes.
Portland can be real wet and stormy. Watch out for nor'easters!

If you don't like harsh summer weather, then yes, you should be in Augusta or further inland.

Portland's storminess is similar to New York and Philly in the summer.

Bar Harbor is nice in the summer.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
You need to find a job before you move.

I live in Lancaster county for another 5 weeks before I move to Bar Harbor, ME, by November 1. Remember that there are more people in greater Philadelphia than there are in the entire state of Maine.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM

404 posts, read 778,033 times
Is Maine rich like most of New England? I'm looking for cold winters cool summers not to many thunderstorms or hurricanes.[/quote]

There are some pretty wealthy areas in Philly. I would not say maine as a whole is rich, in fact there are some very poor counties and some wealthy areas too.

We do get thunder storms and the occasional hurricane.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM

68 posts, read 195,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

If you don't like harsh summer weather, then yes, you should be in Augusta or further inland.

I've lived within 30 miles of Portland my entire life, I assure you, it is not "wet and Stormy", nor does it have "harsh summer weather". Not sure what you are basing that statement on.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:57 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

Seriously?!?!? Ever lived through a thunderstorm in the Philly area? I don't remember them as similar to Portland. Heckuva lot worse.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Judging by the OP's handle, that occupation could be done anywhere.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM

219 posts, read 481,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Seriously?!?!? Ever lived through a thunderstorm in the Philly area? I don't remember them as similar to Portland. Heckuva lot worse.
Even when Maine hasn't been getting the absolute worst, seems to be getting worse lately, I could guess it's climate change?

Seems to be better when you go eastward.

And yes, QFT, I can definitely see that with Philly lately!

Just like the snow in 2009 and 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine