Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM

35 posts, read 60,875 times

Advertisements

We've done our best to "tough it out" by deducting expenses from our rent and pleaded with our landlords to fix everything that is broken. Neither has worked...although Pine Tree Legal has been suggested, we just don't feel that we will get adequate representation considering what we have been through. So...we will seek the advice of a private attorney. After sending our landlords notice about all of our concerns...and there are MANY...we have not received any response. I am concerned about anyone else who may rent from them (or possibly even buy) in the future. Does anyone have suggestions? Is it illegal to post negative things about a potential landlord or seller??? Everyone I speak to about repairs on this house asks who the owner is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsymom927 View Post
We've done our best to "tough it out" by deducting expenses from our rent and pleaded with our landlords to fix everything that is broken. Neither has worked...although Pine Tree Legal has been suggested, we just don't feel that we will get adequate representation considering what we have been through. So...we will seek the advice of a private attorney. After sending our landlords notice about all of our concerns...and there are MANY...we have not received any response. I am concerned about anyone else who may rent from them (or possibly even buy) in the future. Does anyone have suggestions? Is it illegal to post negative things about a potential landlord or seller??? Everyone I speak to about repairs on this house asks who the owner is...
Pine Tree Legal HAS qualified lawyers at half the cost of a private attorney. ALSO this will help your credit rating as these crooks can screw that up as well.

STOP lollygagging around and get one NOW. 3+ months is too long.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Why haven't you moved?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Trying to contact the landlord/owner and work things out is commendable, but I think trying has gone on long enough. You are long overdue for an attorney--Pine Tree Legal or otherwise. BoxCarWillie is right. "Stop lollygagging around." You need to look out for yourself and your family. I hope you have documentation (dates and times written down, certified mail, return receipt, etc.) of your attempts to contact the landlord. Maybe the health dept. could have helped you document the filth. Consult your attorney regarding what you post/say about the owners.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsymom927 View Post

Well first of all, there should be no "pleading" - they have clearly broken their contract (such as it is).

Are you unable to move due to finances? Why do you think Pine Tree Legal can't help you? Have you tried them?

I think I'd rather put the $50 per 15 minute phone call to an attorney in the savings account for a deposit on another home.

I think they've yanked you around enough. If they gave a whoot about that property at all, it wouldn't have the "rep" it seems to have now.

I presume you have clearly documented all of your notices?

IMHO, there is nothing you can do about anyone else who falls victim to those landlords. If you're asked, it's not illegal to matter-of-factly tell the truth of what happened to you, but I'd refrain from going out of my way to post negative things about them.

Why give them any ammunition against you? Leave it up to the town to get on them about code violations and get out I say.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Pine Tree Legal HAS qualified lawyers at half the cost of a private attorney. ALSO this will help your credit rating as these crooks can screw that up as well.

STOP lollygagging around and get one NOW. 3+ months is too long.

Don't delay further and expose yourselves to this situation any longer. It isn't getting better on it's own, and clearly the owners have no intention of rectifying the situation. Not trying to be critical, but I can't imagine why you would wait even one day longer to get legal counsel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine