Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM

341 posts, read 641,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast Guy View Post
Steer clear of Steuben. The least friendly town I've ever seen. Theft is rampant, no police protection, Sherrif and State police too far away, and not real interested.
We decided for Milbridge and it is so beautiful. BTW we love Milbridge house restaurant (Home Page) too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Even with the given address phone company DSL never guarantees a fixed speed. The further you are from the main office, the slower your speed. If you are "out there" be prepared for probably 1.5mps. Slow even for DSL, and turtle for cable.
Absolutely, and you must be within 18000 meters from the CO to get any DSL service at all, at the lowest level of service (768kbit/s). For cable, if your home is more than 300 feet from the road and cable is not already run, you will have to *pay* to get it run in at the rate of about $2/foot for anything in excess of 300 feet.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Steer clear of Steuben. The least friendly town I've ever seen. Theft is rampant, no police protection, Sherrif and State police too far away, and not real interested.
And here you have the official Steuben Greeter-Downeast guy!!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 56,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If it were me and I were going to work from home (dependent on Internet), I would double check its availability for the exact address where I was planning to live.
Thanks for bringing this up. I have always worked from home and internet is vital to my career. It doesn't have to be screaming fast, but it *does* have to exist. I could always work offline and then send when it's down for any length of time, I suppose...not sure how to find out exactly.

Maybe when we get there to look at the place, I can ask in person.

Amy J

Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding. Steuben is an extremely friendly and safe place. Crime in Steuben is virtually non-existent. Here are the stats for 2010, compared to Maine as a whole and the USA:

[mod]link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM

good post- I think downeast guy was a hit and run-troll

Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,318 times
Nearly 25% of Steuben residents are on the dole. (Maine Heritage Policy Center)

Contrary to two year old crime data, homes are being broken into for copper plumbing, to buy Oxy. Trespass is rampant, and sanctioned by the town. (Ellsworth American, "Town Landing")

If you try to do the right thing, and allow folks on your property, you will be thanked with trash being left everywhere, beer cans all over the place, theft of your personal property, and also have your mail stolen.

Of course, when someone tires of being a target, they sell their homes, which is nothing but good for 'mainebrokerman'.

Unless you were born in this town, you are basically unwelcome. Even the volunteer fire department actively discourages 'people from away' from joining.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 64,504 times
Millbridge, they have a great ice cream stand. 44 degrees is a fairly good restuarant. Pretty church.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Nearly 25% of Steuben residents are on the dole. (Maine Heritage Policy Center)

Contrary to two year old crime data, homes are being broken into for copper plumbing, to buy Oxy. Trespass is rampant, and sanctioned by the town. (Ellsworth American, "Town Landing")

If you try to do the right thing, and allow folks on your property, you will be thanked with trash being left everywhere, beer cans all over the place, theft of your personal property, and also have your mail stolen.

Of course, when someone tires of being a target, they sell their homes, which is nothing but good for 'mainebrokerman'.

Unless you were born in this town, you are basically unwelcome. Even the volunteer fire department actively discourages 'people from away' from joining.
Interesting angle, maybe i'm going about this all wrong, instead of trying yo be fair and giving good advice for people that may move to Maine , I should join in and create the hell you describe, so more folks will leave and sell thier houses...

I'll be going downeast tomorrow, I will swing by Steuben and take pics of all the filth, beer cans, trash
I might even stop and talk to someone, tell them I'm from away, see if they try to shoot me....

Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmingWife View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. I have always worked from home and internet is vital to my career. It doesn't have to be screaming fast, but it *does* have to exist. I could always work offline and then send when it's down for any length of time, I suppose...not sure how to find out exactly.

Maybe when we get there to look at the place, I can ask in person.

Amy J
Amy, this is a serious thing. Not something to just brush off if it's vital to your home business. A couple of years ago we lost power in my town for nearly an entire week, and I'm on the same power line as a major hospital, so they should have been up first.

Mainegirl gave you excellent advice about finding out your carrier and availability at your exact street address. I only have one provider, TWC, and don't they know it too? Very expensive and sometimes iffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine