Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Maybe you did. CG hasn't been here for quite a while.
Really? Where did he go? (I'm really not on meds Yet.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I think you must be a lot younger than I am."

Maybe so, but I was born before WWII and my hair is snow white. How about yourself?
After WW11 and more like platinum, but natural. I see a lot of death at work, and have had to help a lot of people on their way through out my 20+ yr. career. I'm not afraid to die and I don't want to live a paranoid existence by spending several hrs. a day focused on a what if. I'm trying to understand what need that fulfills in the preppers. Can one of you explain it to me please. I see a lot of paranoia and it must be hard living with all that anxiety. Maybe I'm wrong about this and I'm not trying to criticize any one's way of life or thinking. I just want to understand it.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Really? Where did he go? (I'm really not on meds Yet.....)
He told me he had other priorities in his life for now and wouldn't be around the forum much. He still shows up on Facebook from time to time.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
There is alot to be said about military service, even though the current Homeland Security Secretary thinks vets are terrorists. What I survival skills learned in the Army, coupled with growing up in the country, even though I am an old man makes me look at any situation they present on these shows with some confidence.The new gold will be canned goods, weapons and ammunition. I watched my Grandparents who lived through the depression demonstrate frugal practice as well as engaging in a lifestyle honed from the "pre fast food" era. Growing up on a farm was also a lesson in life skills that would prepare one for most any situation. We worked hard, hunted, fished, trapped and grew veggies or we went hungry. I would not trade that upbringing for anything in the world.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
It seems like I am always prepping for something, doesn't everyone?!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
I think they wrote a song

I'm a prepper, he's a prepper, wouldn't you liketo be a prepper too.

Be a prepper, drink Dr Prepper

Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
He told me he had other priorities in his life for now and wouldn't be around the forum much. He still shows up on Facebook from time to time.
Thanks, I had no idea. (Ah Eastport, we met some really nice people there.)

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
After WW11 and more like platinum, but natural. I see a lot of death at work, and have had to help a lot of people on their way through out my 20+ yr. career. I'm not afraid to die and I don't want to live a paranoid existence by spending several hrs. a day focused on a what if. I'm trying to understand what need that fulfills in the preppers. Can one of you explain it to me please. I see a lot of paranoia and it must be hard living with all that anxiety. Maybe I'm wrong about this and I'm not trying to criticize any one's way of life or thinking. I just want to understand it.
I agree with you on the whole death thing. I've had the dubious misfortune to have to say "goodbye" to too many people, but fortunately, a few of them have hung around long enough to have great conversations about what they feel may occur in the afterlife. I've been awed by the sense of calm that a person who has accepted the fate of dying has shown in those conversations.

That said, my perspective when talking about it (with those who are anticipating of the end of the world) is that they are typically anxious people to begin with. A LOT of things tend to make them nervous and they tend to believe much of what they hear without either checking facts very much, or checking bogus *facts* TOO much (IMHO).

I, on the other hand, tend to become much too cynical when people try to tell me something that makes very little sense to me or is practically impossible to predict. That's my flaw I guess.

There's nothing inherently wrong (IMO) with preparing for worst case scenarios per se - it's when people are digging bunkers in the ground, stockpiling ammo, and stacking boxes of canned goods do I think they're going a little overboard. If the world ends in a flaming ball of fire, I would think that we would just be prolonging the inevitable wouldn't we? I just can't imagine stockpiling enough goods to wait out the time it would take to rebuild.

Meh...so be it. What will be will be. If it does happen, there won't be any stopping it. I can't waste energy worrying about it.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 AM

161 posts, read 419,017 times
I am fully prepped for the coming "zombie apocalypse".

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Thanks, I had no idea. (Ah Eastport, we met some really nice people there.)
You're right. There are a lot of really nice people in Eastport. The town has room for a lot more, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine