Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 25,876 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In less than two months, my marvelous boyfriend and I will be starting our lives together in Maine as we plan to go to school there. As of right now we are on a "budget" and here in Florida, I manage to clip coupons in order to enhance our savings. Florida is not the greatest when it comes to coupons and its policies, so I was wondering how's Maine with their coupons? What are some groceries stores with the best deals? How is the coupon distribution in Maine? I know in Florida I have to apply online for a brochure to come in the mail, I search through news-papers and print them off the sites.

Also, we will be looking to purchase some furniture for our apartment. Any ideas on where is best to shop for furniture?

Thank you, I will be looking forward to read anyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
I used to do a lot with coupons, but not any more. I believe they come in the weekend paper, our stores don't mail out booklets like Safeway and some other store did. They also don't double coupons here, as they do in other locations. We have 3 stores here Shaws (which I think of as most expensive) Hannafords and a couple of IGA's. The IGA's have some really good deals, and is my store of choice, however Hannafords has overall lower prices and a greater selection. At least for the little that I buy from the grocery store, this has been my experience. Bottom line, I wouldn't count on coupons to help the budget, like they've done in other places I lived.

We do have three thrift stores in Bangor (Good Will, Salvation Army and Helping Hands - I think that's the name, better known as the one next to KMart) and of course there is Craigs List, Freecycle, and a host of private sale venues.

Good Luck, and Welcome to Maine.

Three Wolves would be better to give you a comparsion, she moved up from Fla, a year ago.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellablurose View Post
Hello,

In less than two months, my marvelous boyfriend and I will be starting our lives together in Maine as we plan to go to school there. As of right now we are on a "budget" and here in Florida, I manage to clip coupons in order to enhance our savings. Florida is not the greatest when it comes to coupons and its policies, so I was wondering how's Maine with their coupons? What are some groceries stores with the best deals? How is the coupon distribution in Maine? I know in Florida I have to apply online for a brochure to come in the mail, I search through news-papers and print them off the sites.

Also, we will be looking to purchase some furniture for our apartment. Any ideas on where is best to shop for furniture?

Thank you, I will be looking forward to read anyone's input.
Where in Maine will you be living? That will go a long ways toward helping us give you advice on furniture. In general, you'll find Salvation Army and Goodwill stores in many of the cities. Check out auctions and used furniture stores.

The Sunday papers usually have multiple coupon books (three in the Telegram last week), and I know Shaw's also offers online coupons. To be honest, I can usually find the food we eat cheaper than using a coupon for a name-brand product, but they're handy for things like dog food.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
A friend of mine, who lives in Portland Extreme Couponing Tips & How To Save Money on Groceries & Get Free Stuff with Coupons is the queen of couponing. Check her out.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
[quote=bellablurose;23514190]Hello,

both hannaford and shaw's have facebook pages (supermarkets up here) and they have many on there discussing coupons, you would be in good company

furniture?
check mainecraigslist

check mardens

also check job lots

high end furniture-check out rollins furniture in hallowell

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM

RHB,

Thanks! I will check the stores you mentioned, I am sure I will find something good enough for a fair price. Also, I don't use coupons for boxed foods like frozen dinners or anything, I prefer fresh produce. I majorly use coupons to help with cleaning, hair, washing, and sometimes cereals or yogurts.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Where in Maine will you be living? That will go a long ways toward helping us give you advice on furniture. In general, you'll find Salvation Army and Goodwill stores in many of the cities. Check out auctions and used furniture stores.

The Sunday papers usually have multiple coupon books (three in the Telegram last week), and I know Shaw's also offers online coupons. To be honest, I can usually find the food we eat cheaper than using a coupon for a name-brand product, but they're handy for things like dog food.

I will be moving into the area of Bangor. Here in Florida, the coupon's come on the Sunday paper as well. I agree, buying fresh produce is way cheaper than boxed dinners, but I majorly use coupons for the little essential things around the house, there's usually some good deals now and then.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 PM

[quote=mainebrokerman;23525606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellablurose View Post
Hello,

both hannaford and shaw's have facebook pages (supermarkets up here) and they have many on there discussing coupons, you would be in good company

furniture?
check mainecraigslist

check mardens

also check job lots

high end furniture-check out rollins furniture in hallowell

This was so helpful ! Thanks! I was looking into the names of the supermarkets but wasn't sure, this helped immensely.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
A friend of mine, who lives in Portland Extreme Couponing Tips & How To Save Money on Groceries & Get Free Stuff with Coupons is the queen of couponing. Check her out.

Wow! She has some GREAT tips! Thank you so much for sharing this with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: