Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,173 times

Advertisements

Hi Eclarim-

In your search for the perfect place in Maine, I cannot recommend more highly the town of Cape Elizabeth. I grew up there (and am now in college in MD), and I wish I had found somewhere so great now! If you are thinking about your family, look no farther. The school system, having just recently graduated, is phenomenal. Certainly the best public school in the state, and comparable to the private schools in the state as well. The teachers are better and more informed than most college professors I have encountered. The town itself is beautiful. Only about 5-10 minutes from portland, but also with some of the most beautiful properties and neighborhoods in the state. I'll warn you, pull out your wallet before you look at the housing prices there... but it's worth it in the long run!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,267 times
Lewiston...stay far away!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM

31 posts, read 111,326 times
call Karen at coastal cotage Rentals in Blue Hill Maine, she handles over 200 vacation rentals in remote areas and on the water.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 PM

13 posts, read 34,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace View Post
That's up near Dexter, isn't it? Dexter is a dump.

My place in Newport sold in two weeks, I was ASTOUNDED.
Dexter is a dump???

I guess without a Walmart Superstore OR McDonalds we must seem like neanderthals to the good folks in Newport.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Elcarim, I think you've got the right area in mind. There are so many towns between the coast and Bangowaaaah, I think you'll just have to drive around until you find the right town.

Portland is not attractive to me for the same reasons. I need my country vibe and most of Maine has it north of Portland. Personally I wouldn't want to live near the ocean because of how cold it gets in the winter but being near it is great.
Actually, the ocean usually keeps it warmer in the winter. Inland averages about 5-10 degrees colder than the coast. During the spring and summer it stays cooler at the coast.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturin View Post
Hi Eclarim-

In your search for the perfect place in Maine, I cannot recommend more highly the town of Cape Elizabeth. I grew up there (and am now in college in MD), and I wish I had found somewhere so great now! If you are thinking about your family, look no farther. The school system, having just recently graduated, is phenomenal. Certainly the best public school in the state, and comparable to the private schools in the state as well. The teachers are better and more informed than most college professors I have encountered. The town itself is beautiful. Only about 5-10 minutes from portland, but also with some of the most beautiful properties and neighborhoods in the state. I'll warn you, pull out your wallet before you look at the housing prices there... but it's worth it in the long run!
You ain't kidding about getting out your wallet. But it's getting like that throughout the state. Between the cost of homes and taxes this state is going to be home to only rich people, retired, and vacationers and people who work regular blue collar jobs will be extinct.

I live in the Portland area and "good" wages around here are $8-$10 an hour. I don't know how you are supposed to live on that when even to rent in dumps around here is around $1000 a month for a 2 BR.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Actually, the ocean usually keeps it warmer in the winter. Inland averages about 5-10 degrees colder than the coast. During the spring and summer it stays cooler at the coast.
I'd much rather be in a place that is not quite as frigid in the winter and cool in the summer. The summertime temps are SO much more important to me!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Folks, I live on one of the islands, and have for my whole life. I say.. it is always a few degrees warmer around the coast than it it on the mainland in the winter- this is why we always get slush when you all get snow. Having driven the 2 hours inland to Bangor in just about very kind of weather imaginable, I can also tell you that our snow along the coast seems to melt more quickly, too.
And in the summer, the reverse is true- it is usually 10 degrees (or more) cooler along the coast than inland.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM

276 posts, read 792,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJL View Post
Actually, I had given up years ago on finding this kind of life. I thought it was something you see only on old TV shows. It's that small town thing, a place with values that other places don't have anymore.

It's a trade off. Most people won't get rich (with money) here - by definition, you trade off the natural beauty and the solid values when you want industry, higher salaries, and subdivisions. I wanted a simpler life, with time to actually enjoy living. I'll never go back to suburbia and all the crime, traffic, pollution, and perpetual strangers next door.

But you're right, it's a matter of perspective, of commiting to the kind of life that each person finds appropriate for themselves.
This area appears to be exactly what I have been looking for. Any need for a community college, college or high school English/Humanities/Liberal Studies instructor?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
There was an independant movie called "The Spitfire Grill" about a city family that wins a little cafe in a northern maine town and their adventures and misadventures in adjusting to the move. I havent seen it for years but dispite being a bit contrived, I really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine