Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 AM

263 posts, read 616,491 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite living artist is naturally from Belfast Maine.
Check out Neal Parent. He works in B/W Photography and is brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
it's funny how sometimes you read these threads and nothing immediately comes to mind, but then you read again and a light bulb goes on!

My parents used to own a clothing store in Eastport, and a local artist included the store in a painting she'd done. She's wonderful....her name is Scottie Boyle. The watercolor painting now hangs in my house

There is another artist in Eastport whose work I really like right now. Her name is Nannette (Nan) Mcnaughton. She has some very nice works, local Eastport scenes, and I'm currently saving my pennies for one piece in particular!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Oddly, since I started this thread, I have become my own favorite artist! I stayed up all Saturday night and did this:

It's only about half done, but I think it's pretty cool. I am letting it dry before putting on the final layers and details.
(It's a lobster trap, btw...)
Oops...I thought it was going to be one of those optical illusions like that guy Escher does. Maybe you could do one like that? (Nice work, I'm always a little jealous of people that can draw and paint. I need lines and numbers.)

Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM

87 posts, read 259,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Oddly, since I started this thread, I have become my own favorite artist! I stayed up all Saturday night and did this:

It's only about half done, but I think it's pretty cool. I am letting it dry before putting on the final layers and details.
(It's a lobster trap, btw...)
Do you plan on putting a lobster in it? It is so detailed. As an artist also I was wondering if you are also your own worse critic? I am. after a while you really need another's opinion from someone who hasn't been so involved in the creative process. As you said you were up all night you get so involved' It is a great feeling though isn't it as you see it come together. Here is my latest work that I have done since I got back home from Maine.[IMG][/IMG]
Can't wait to see your finished piece
Sue

Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Default local artist

Brad McFadden - Maine Artist

Wonderful stuff right on Orr's Island, Maine! I went to school with Brad, very nice gentleman with terrific talent.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
DeerIsle I DO like that! I'm looking forward to seeing another pic when it's done....

LIGal, I think you need to come back! Maine inspires you....the colors of the water are very nice!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Zymer- In all honesty, I can't draw for poo. And I am in no way exaggerating my lack of drawing skills- I can't make anything that looks like it came from anyone over the age of 8. Usually not even a straight line or a circular circle..lol But a paintbrush... I can do a lot with a paintbrush!

LI Gal- Yeah- I think I do get overly critical, and sometimes try to fix things so much I end up ruining them. Not planning on a lobster, though- I actually painted the net work (heads) in today, so the "empty" area is filled with itty bitty green lines. I like your painting- is it oil or acrylic?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
What got me hooked on Fairfield Porter?

Long story short…it was his brother, Eliot Porter. He was a photographer who died in 1990. His photographs are amazing.
Love Elliot Porter, especially his images of Glen Canyon and the Adirondacks. A big influence for me. The Wyeth's work in the museum in Rockland are breathtaking.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:28 PM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
Jon Legere...great artist...close friend

Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM

87 posts, read 259,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
DeerIsle I DO like that! I'm looking forward to seeing another pic when it's done....

LIGal, I think you need to come back! Maine inspires you....the colors of the water are very nice!
I plan to and I am just about to start my next big one. I need inspiration and i have found, it a good feeling!!!!

Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine