Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times

Advertisements

I will be spending a few days in Boothbay Harbor. Visting Portland, Freeport & Boothbay. Then I plan on heading up to Bar Harbor. Any towns worth while stoping at between Boothbay & Bar Harbor. I was already at Bangor.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Remember that the most touristy part of MDI is the village of Bar Harbor. Take some time to visit the outskirts of Bar Harbor Village(the town of), and also visit the other towns and villages on the island. Pick up the Car Museum near SWH, Go to Bass Harbor and the light house. And hike or do some carriage trails. Drive through Northeast harbor where most of the really rich people live or have summer cottages(like Martha Stewart and John Travolta). Don't get stuck thinking that the village of BH IS MDI. Go to the Gilley bird Museum in SWH. Get a copy of the MD Islander(only newspaper left), and look in the calendar under the arts section to see whats going on.

Go on a kayaking tour of the birds on the quiet side waters of Blue Hill Bay. Take one of the boat trips out the the Cranberry islands or one of the Sail Boat cruises. A trip out to Baker Island is also a Trip, which is out of BH.

Go to the beach. Sand beach is nice for ocean, but for swimming I would choose Echo Lake or Lake Wood. Hunter's Beach is picturesque, but you can't really swim there, nor can you do so at Compass Point, but they are not to be missed. If you come on September 29th, The Emerald Princess will be in the waters: one of the largest Cruise ships in the world: almost 1400 feet long.

I love BH, but its not all there is on MDI.

Last edited by slyfox2; 05-21-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Much depends on your interests. The Transportation Museum in Owls Head, outside Rockland, is worth a visit. If you like art, the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland is considered outstanding among museums its size. Rockland itself has its charms, especially along Main Street. It has some outstanding restaurants.

Camden is often considered a must-see on the tourist trail. Perhaps I'm jaded, but I fail to see the attraction. The harbor has schooners that offer day trips if you're into that.

Belfast is a more interesting place IMHO, with a vibrant and mixed downtown and an active waterfront that hasn't been completely taken over by the recreational boating crowd. There are also several decent restaurants. Bucksport has a nice walking trail along the river.

Some folks like Ellsworth. I just like to get through it. Slyfox2 has offered some good advice about MDI itself.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM

48 posts, read 123,748 times
Stop for a picnic in Lincolnville at the beach!
I also think that Belfast is a very nice place to walk around.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
There is a great little diner in VErona, which is much better than waiting for a McDonalds. I have to leave early for NH for a few days, and I'll stop there for breakfast. Its right after you cross over the big suspension bridge. BTW, you can call ahead and gt a great tour of the bridge itself. Don't forget to stop at the BIG CHICKEN BARN. Its between Bucksport and Ellsworth. No one who goes up that way fails to stop at the Barn. its used books and antiques galore. Nothing like it in the whole world. A Museum and store all in one.

Ellsworth has a great little shopping district, and I really prefer Finn's restaurant for good food at a good price.

If you stay overnight at BH and you don't do something else go to Reel Pizza for moving and PIZZA. Get there early for the show and sit down front in the couches. Your food order will show iup on the bingo board Numbers when its ready. Best and most wonderful cinema ever. Wish there was one in Ellsworth.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
I have a really fond place in my heart for Damariscotta. Main Street is very charming and there's a lot of interesting little shops and restaurants. It feels more "authentic" to me than towns like Boothbay, Camden, and Bar Harbor.

Although it would be somewhat of a detour, Pemaquid Point is probably worth your time if you can spare it.

The biggest draw of Camden, for me, is the view from Mt. Battie (you can drive to the top), just north of town. If you stopped anywhere between Boothbay and Bar Harbor, in my opinion, it should be here, to take in the beautiful view.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Close to boothbay harbor is a town called south bristol and christmas cove, you can drive right to sand cove and have a picnic- also, right nearby is Pemaquid point- you can drive right to pemaquid lighthouse
and walk on the rocks, right on the ocean!!
Pemaquid beach is right nearby too-great little sand beach- on the ocean

pemaquid point (lighthouse) is one of my fav places in all of maine -not far from boothbay harbor

Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Any town on US1 is worth seeing, each for their own unique reason. The ones past Bar Harbor, in the real Maine, are the best ones. If you get the chance go see the West Quoddy head lighthouse.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Thanks for ALL of the replys. I will def. check those places out. I've been vacationing in Maine every 4th. of July week for the past 10 years. Again, Portland and then up to Bar Harbor.

The next adventure is finding a small cabin/vaction home. Somewhere between Kennebunk and Boothbay.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I have a really fond place in my heart for Damariscotta. Main Street is very charming and there's a lot of interesting little shops and restaurants. It feels more "authentic" to me than towns like Boothbay, Camden, and Bar Harbor.

Although it would be somewhat of a detour, Pemaquid Point is probably worth your time if you can spare it.

The biggest draw of Camden, for me, is the view from Mt. Battie (you can drive to the top), just north of town. If you stopped anywhere between Boothbay and Bar Harbor, in my opinion, it should be here, to take in the beautiful view.
Love Camden and at one time the Maine State prison had a gift shop there at the prison....wood carvings, bird houses stuff that would cost an arm & a leg in Bar Harbor or Boothbay were really cheap and beautiful, crafted by the prisoners...wonder if it's still there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine