Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Saw the leak and water damage..guess it depends on how much they're wanting to haggle given that, but even with a roof and ceiling repair at the Eastport pace Miss M , it should be ready when we can come up next. Which will be tons sooner if we have a house!!

I bet you could get it for 30K with the damage. Spend another 15K to get it fixed up and you could have a real bargain in that little house. I went to a yard sale there last year and it's really a cute house. Bet you could do some great decorating. Not too far from the water either. If you decide to do it, call Scotty Malloch for a contractor, he's wonderful. He's the man that was leaving our home when you were coming in, he's redoing the staircase and putting in a new support beam over the winter for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:40 PM

39 posts, read 128,114 times
There is a poster on here named Ed Smith that is a contractor that just moved to Lubec.

You may want to hire him to take a look, I think he is a carpenter by trade so he should be able to give a good assesment of damage on the house.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I bet you could get it for 30K with the damage. Spend another 15K to get it fixed up and you could have a real bargain in that little house. I went to a yard sale there last year and it's really a cute house. Bet you could do some great decorating. Not too far from the water either. If you decide to do it, call Scotty Malloch for a contractor, he's wonderful. He's the man that was leaving our home when you were coming in, he's redoing the staircase and putting in a new support beam over the winter for us.
LOL...he must be related to my husband. My husband's paternal grandmother's maiden name is Malloch. That's too funny that we met family and didn't even know it.

But, I digress...did the math and with the kid in college, it will be too tight...sigh..hubby also doesn't like the idea of it standing empty while we save up enough to retire on. Alas, my pleas fell on deaf ears.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
LOL...he must be related to my husband. My husband's paternal grandmother's maiden name is Malloch. That's too funny that we met family and didn't even know it.

But, I digress...did the math and with the kid in college, it will be too tight...sigh..hubby also doesn't like the idea of it standing empty while we save up enough to retire on. Alas, my pleas fell on deaf ears.
hang in there.,,,,..it will all work out. Maybe due to market pressures and the troubled housing/mortgage market, it is better to wait a while. My hubby feels the same way.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
Maybe you could let the current renters continue to rent the place while you're waiting to retire. The rent would make the house and tax payments.

Scotty Malloch's mother lives next to us on Stevens St. He is in his late 50's and has been doing architectural contracting since 1979. Don't know anything other than that, it would be very strange if the guy walking out of the house as you were walking in would turn out to be a relative after all.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
He's a great guy Corgi, you'll be very happy with his work I think! He helped with some renovations with a house a friend of mine bought on Key Street, across from the Episcopal Church. She's now sold the house and moved out to Redoubt Hill, but with his skill and work, and her husband's as well, they renovated a beautiful old home and tripled it's value....they posted it online for sale and it sold in less than 24 hours!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
hang in there.,,,,..it will all work out. Maybe due to market pressures and the troubled housing/mortgage market, it is better to wait a while. My hubby feels the same way.
MY credit is really good. How do you feel about the Eastport area. You and I can go in on a place and open a little shop of some sort and just wait for the hubbies to come 'round.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
MY credit is really good. How do you feel about the Eastport area. You and I can go in on a place and open a little shop of some sort and just wait for the hubbies to come 'round.
sounds great! my credit is really good too
I am going up in 2 weeks for Fall break and checking out some places...

Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Maybe you could let the current renters continue to rent the place while you're waiting to retire. The rent would make the house and tax payments.

Scotty Malloch's mother lives next to us on Stevens St. He is in his late 50's and has been doing architectural contracting since 1979. Don't know anything other than that, it would be very strange if the guy walking out of the house as you were walking in would turn out to be a relative after all.
Wouldn't it though? We will have to stop by and reintroduce ourselves next time.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
sounds great! my credit is really good too
I am going up in 2 weeks for Fall break and checking out some places...
I'm in..now we have to decide on what kind of business. Maybe a bookstore or a movie gallery? It's only $299K for a large building downtown. Miss mollysmiles will be able to tell us her thoughts due to her knowledge of the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine