Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
A Pine Tree lawyer told you that?? I think I'd turn that sucker in to his boss or someone. He seem s to have a terminal case of cranial-rectumitis. I'd be concerned about the next tenant, too. This boy is screwed up. Be dipped if I would fix it. Turn the LL in to the state and be gone like a bad habit.
That Pine Tree Lawyer's advice sounds pretty good to me. Whoever has rented this house seems to have enough of their own problems right now without having to take on those of the rest of humanity.

Besides, their problem with this bad rental could have been averted had they done their homework first.

Anyone else who comes after them without doing their homework first, deserves what they get.

Such is life.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmingWife View Post
Typical of Maine? Um, no? There are horrible shysters in every state in America. Maine doesn't have more than anywhere else. This situation sounds like a hot mess from the beginning, and could happen anywhere. Both sides made numerous red flag errors and here's what you get.

Amy J
Curiosly, the only person I know who actually moved to Maine and rented a place to live, has also had some strange experiences with the places he's rented and the landlords he's had--though his experiences were not as bad as the subject of this thread, they were still pretty scary.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Curiosly, the only person I know who actually moved to Maine and rented a place to live, has also had some strange experiences with the places he's rented and the landlords he's had--though his experiences were not as bad as the subject of this thread, they were still pretty scary.

Ive heard the same thing!
never rent a place ...in salem's lot

Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsymom927 View Post
This is not the way life should be....
No, this is not the way life should be and I do not consider it typical of Maine. I hope the landlord (LL?) was not from Maine (apparently lives out of state)....I don't wish to believe that a Mainer would treat tenants so badly....call me naive if you wish. (I would like to believe that these type of things occur in other states by non Mainers.) Of course, I could say the same thing about the comments made and attitude of the lawyer from Pine Tree Legal. Yes, I do realize that there are Mainers in jails and prisons...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 PM

35 posts, read 60,875 times
Quote:
That Pine Tree Lawyer's advice sounds pretty good to me. Whoever has rented this house seems to have enough of their own problems right now without having to take on those of the rest of humanity.

Besides, their problem with this bad rental could have been averted had they done their homework first.

Anyone else who comes after them without doing their homework first, deserves what they get.

Such is life.
If you call having a couple mil... having enough of their own problems... sure. This is not their only "bad" rental... An older couple flew in (to MAINE) from CA... scooped up a bunch of foreclosures... did nothing to them and then rented them out... Being an out-of-state sucker doesn't mean any of us want to see it happen to anyone else... FYI...still waiting for "Terry" to come pick up his ladder... And Moiyee...not so big...
I love this beautiful state!!!! I just hate the people who take advantage of it!!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:

Such is life.
Amd there's one of the biggest problems witht he world. Apathy to anyone but ourselves. Screw the rest, I got mine. That's not a Maine attitude (that I've seen anyway). Maybe I'm just naive and hang with a minority crowd, but we help out here, not turn a blind eye. Time to screw the landlord to the wall and warn everyone in earshot know about this stuff. I'm sure it's different in the large cities where it impersonal because of the population size. I remember it being that way when I lived in or near them. It's a shame IMO.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:51 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Amd there's one of the biggest problems witht he world. Apathy to anyone but ourselves. Screw the rest, I got mine. That's not a Maine attitude (that I've seen anyway). Maybe I'm just naive and hang with a minority crowd, but we help out here, not turn a blind eye. Time to screw the landlord to the wall and warn everyone in earshot know about this stuff. I'm sure it's different in the large cities where it impersonal because of the population size. I remember it being that way when I lived in or near them. It's a shame IMO.
You're not naive. If someone told me about the history of two of my former tenants I'd have been spared a LOT of money and headache. I cringedwhen I read Outdoor's comment and hoped he really isn't going to move here with that attitude.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Thanks for your comments, Maine Writer and retiredtinbinder. It's great to know that others share my "naive" view of values and how to treat others that have been a part of my Maine heritage for generations and that of other Mainers. Isn't OutDoorNut living in NY? I think he's been there too long; it's apparently having a negative effect on him.

I had a friend who used to refer to a 'California mentality" or maybe it's just a big city mentality...anything goes because it will get lost in the crowd.... If this is an example, I don't want any part of it....people wonder why Mainers have such a negative attitude about cities and city dwellers...

Maybe for starters if considering a rental in Maine, ask where the landlord/property owner is from and instead of potential tenant references, get some landlord references.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 07-20-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Maybe for starters if considering a rental in Maine, ask where the landlord/property owner is from and instead of potential tenant references, get some landlord references.
You definitely want to find out the mortgage information, you don't want a sheriff knocking on your door and ordering you to vacate due to the owner's lack of payment.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
You definitely want to find out the mortgage information, you don't want a sheriff knocking on your door and ordering you to vacate due to the owner's lack of payment.
Or lack of ownership. We had one in town where the owners were from out of state. They came up to spend a month in their summer house and found it rented by an out of town person. I imagine it got a bit uncomfortable at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine