Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,411 times

Advertisements

I just received a letter from the Dept. of Revenue asking for sales tax on items that I have bought, but not paid sales tax on. Mainly this is for online purchases. I think the letter is somewhat confusing. I can't believe they expect people to even answer this letter. What are some of your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Of course, I never buy stuff from on-line, so this is a none issue for me. They seem to be fishing for money.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,010,341 times
I think that not collecting sales tax on purchases made "on-line" gives an enormous advantage to the large corporations over local merchants.....so I favor collecting taxes on both types of purchases to the same degree. The state needs the revenue and it equalizes the playing field.

(if I am all wet and sales taxes are collected on on-line purchases......I take it back.)

Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
If you buy from LL Bean you pay a sales tax. If you buy from Cabelas you don't pay a sales tax unless you pick up the item at the in Scarborough.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,411 times
Actually, it depends on the company. If they have a physical presence in Maine, no matter how small, they must collect sales tax. Problem is a lot of people in the rural parts of Maine have no where to buy a lot of items, so we have to order them online. If I could buy them here, I would.

The way they want you to pay is based on your adjusted gross income, or if you kept receipts, that amount. There is no rhyme or reason to the formula. Based on my income, I would owe about $80 in taxes. I know I haven't spent nearly that much on line. They estimate I would have spent $1600 based on my income. That is ridiculous.

I wish we HAD MORE LOCAL MERCHANTS, but the closest thing we have to a local merchant is a corporate local merchant, WALMART.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Actually, it depends on the company. If they have a physical presence in Maine, no matter how small, they must collect sales tax. Problem is a lot of people in the rural parts of Maine have no where to buy a lot of items, so we have to order them online. If I could buy them here, I would.

The way they want you to pay is based on your adjusted gross income, or if you kept receipts, that amount. There is no rhyme or reason to the formula. Based on my income, I would owe about $80 in taxes. I know I haven't spent nearly that much on line. They estimate I would have spent $1600 based on my income. That is ridiculous.

I wish we HAD MORE LOCAL MERCHANTS, but the closest thing we have to a local merchant is a corporate local merchant, WALMART.
Ah the devil is in the details....not the concept.

If a consumer chooses to save receipts of on-line purchases (they should show up on credit card bills).....how do they know that you are submitting receipts for all purchases and all cards? Also there are many little mom and pop operations that do mail order business....not just llbean and Target.....but little crafty shops and artisans.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM

68 posts, read 195,348 times
The state is basically asking its citizens to donate money out of the goodness of their hearts. I can't imagine anyone is actually saving receipts with the intent of paying Maine sales tax on those purchases. The letter that was sent out even states, in bold letters, that one is not required to fill out and return the letter.
Because it would be very difficult to prove who bought what and didn't pay taxes on it, whether it be in person or online, they are relying on people to self disclose.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb01 View Post
The state is basically asking its citizens to donate money out of the goodness of their hearts. I can't imagine anyone is actually saving receipts with the intent of paying Maine sales tax on those purchases. The letter that was sent out even states, in bold letters, that one is not required to fill out and return the letter.
Because it would be very difficult to prove who bought what and didn't pay taxes on it, whether it be in person or online, they are relying on people to self disclose.
Well that clearly won't work.....altho I think I lived in a state once that made it the responsibility of the seller to collect and submit the state tax to the state....perhaps it was California????

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,988 times
The Use Tax also applies to any purchases that you made out while physically outside of the State of Maine that would have been taxed had they been bought in the state, or the amount that makes up the difference between what you paid and the %5 Maine charges.... If you bought a $100 jacket while on vacation in New Hampshire, you'd then owe the State O' Maine $5 in Use Tax. If you bought that same jacket in New York (4% sales tax) you would then owe Maine $1.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
The Use Tax also applies to any purchases that you made out while physically outside of the State of Maine that would have been taxed had they been bought in the state, or the amount that makes up the difference between what you paid and the %5 Maine charges.... If you bought a $100 jacket while on vacation in New Hampshire, you'd then owe the State O' Maine $5 in Use Tax. If you bought that same jacket in New York (4% sales tax) you would then owe Maine $1.
if the tax was 7%, out of state then the state would owe us 2%?????

how come this is a one way street??

I filled up with gas today in new hampshire,,,it is 3.82 gallon....how much do I owe the state of maine??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine