Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Some of my neighbors hire out to have their drives plowed, but sometimes they don't get to it when you want, such as when a foot or more has fallen overnight and you need to get out in the morning.
Amen to that. I'm renting while looking for a new-to-me house to buy, and the aggravation of waiting for the paid professional to show up is almost enough to make me run out and buy a snowblower --- except my landlord would doubtless then expect me to do the whole danged farm
After reading this thread I think I'm gonna go for the Honda w/tracks.
(Too bad it couldn't convert to a snowmobile for an all-in-one vehicle!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
I bought a used Ariens from a company in Gorham that repairs lawn mowers and snow plows. They also service both every year and deliver. Many people buy them and decide they can't do the work and hire or plow or they bought something too small and trade it in for credit on a bigger model.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Is there much of a market of used snow blowers? Is it worth the savings over buying new?
i have an older snowblower,,with a briggs and stratton engine, i bought it used 14 yrs ago for 250 in waterville, and its been great,,,
i dont even think ive changed the spark plug, in all these years

some winters its not used much,,,but this winter its been used alot and did awesome!!

so, yes you can get a good used snowblower, dont need to buy a new one,,,

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Can't pass on posting to this thread after this morning. My vote is for a Husquavana. My 8 hp moved the 18 inch storm from my yard this morning in nothing flat. The bank by the road must have been 4 ft deep and 8 ft wide. (thanks to the town plows!!) The honda on tracks would have been my choice, but too much money. I got the husquavana because the husquavana chain saw I bought in 1983 is still going strong. I've had several blowers over the years, and the Husquavana is by far the best. (Have had an Arien, but not a honda) Knobby tires are a requirement if not, then you'll need chains...that's where the honda on tracks would probably shine. The 8 hp husquavana is around a grand to purchase, best price of the blowers on the top shelf if you ask me! (of course I haven't priced one this year and with the dollar down, that price might be wrong now)

Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Can't pass on posting to this thread after this morning. My vote is for a Husquavana. My 8 hp moved the 18 inch storm from my yard this morning in nothing flat. The bank by the road must have been 4 ft deep and 8 ft wide. (thanks to the town plows!!) The honda on tracks would have been my choice, but too much money. I got the husquavana because the husquavana chain saw I bought in 1983 is still going strong. I've had several blowers over the years, and the Husquavana is by far the best. (Have had an Arien, but not a honda) Knobby tires are a requirement if not, then you'll need chains...that's where the honda on tracks would probably shine. The 8 hp husquavana is around a grand to purchase, best price of the blowers on the top shelf if you ask me! (of course I haven't priced one this year and with the dollar down, that price might be wrong now)
When this thread first appeared, I wrote about my experience with Honda snowblowers. Since that time a lot of folks have had a lot to say, and we have also had a LOT of snow. In the thirty years I have lived in Maine, I have NEVER seen four feet of snow in December, and rarely have I seen nearly two feet on the ground at the same time...at least not for long.

When November rolled around, I had made a decision to have a new engine put into the plow truck. The plow truck...called "The Runt"...is a 1992 Ford F 150 4X4 shorty, hence the nickname. I bought the truck on eBay with around 100,000 on it. I had come from New Mexico via north central Florida, and had never see a northern winter, nor any time in above "the rust belt".

I had a new Boss plow installed, and plowed the roads here, the two neighbors driveways and yards, our store fourteen miles away, and the quarry which is about five miles further. The short wheelbase made this the best plow truck I have ever used...lack of weight more than made up for by balance.

Then spring before last, the transmission started to do strange things. Mostly, fourth overdrive was "reluctant"....the transmission in the truck was a genuine POS: it was a three speed with an automatic overdrive fourth, which made the truck feel like it had sunk into a sand bog when it engaged.

Eventually, fourth failed entirely, and I made the decision to replace the transmission and keep on going.

Well, the truck's engine didn't really enjoy hauling the plow down the road, and I had to continually move the plow around to keep air flowing properly....the radiator was fine...the truck just had a tendancy to get a bit warm unless I was very, very careful.

Then this summer, while running a short errand the engine died entirely, and a new shortblock was ordered. At the same time that was done, spring blocks and a seven blade fan and new fan clutch was installed. Now the truck is like new.

But we had the first foot of snow before the truck was out of the shop, so I had to plow my driveway, the road leading to it, the neighbor's driveway and the road leading to that, all with my eight horsepower snowblower. A LOT of exercise but it worked pretty well.

Some of my auger blades are bent because all of this work takes place on gravel or crushed stone. I can't tell you how many shear pins I have replaced, but a lot, and from Honda....hardened shear pins are ENORMOUSLY expensive.

Anyway, during storm #2, I tried to start the snowblower, and it made a loud clunk, and stoped dead still in place. The clutch cable has broken, and there she sits, right when I need her the most: covered with two feet of snow.

I am going to haul it out and take it to the REAL Honda service center in Bangor, and get it overhauled properly. It will be fifteen years since it has actually been properly serviced, and I imagine that it will be expensive. But when right, it will throw snow forty feet, and not even heavy wet snow will drop much closer. The tracks make it easy to raise the augers to different heights and the hydrostatic transmission makes it easy to control.

If I had a "normal" driveway I would be perfectly satisfied to have a five horspower Honda on tracks....which is what I had originally....throws the snow a long way, and has plenty of power. When I bought the 8 hp Honda, it was enormously expensive...or so it seemed to me: Around $1800, I think.

But it has been used HARD over very rough terrain, and I see now, that the Honda is a lifetime investment, and with a little maintenance, it will probably be willed to my grandson.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Is there much of a market of used snow blowers? Is it worth the savings over buying new?
Yes! The one we bought was used. We bought it from an older man who does small engine repairs. We paid 250 and that thing is great! It's a 9hp (or 10?)...with chains on the tires. It ain't pretty, but it starts right up and works awesome. We saved a lot of money buying used.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
When this thread first appeared, I wrote about my experience with Honda snowblowers. Since that time a lot of folks have had a lot to say, and we have also had a LOT of snow. In the thirty years I have lived in Maine, I have NEVER seen four feet of snow in December, and rarely have I seen nearly two feet on the ground at the same time...at least not for long.

When November rolled around, I had made a decision to have a new engine put into the plow truck. The plow truck...called "The Runt"...is a 1992 Ford F 150 4X4 shorty, hence the nickname. I bought the truck on eBay with around 100,000 on it. I had come from New Mexico via north central Florida, and had never see a northern winter, nor any time in above "the rust belt".

I had a new Boss plow installed, and plowed the roads here, the two neighbors driveways and yards, our store fourteen miles away, and the quarry which is about five miles further. The short wheelbase made this the best plow truck I have ever used...lack of weight more than made up for by balance.

Then spring before last, the transmission started to do strange things. Mostly, fourth overdrive was "reluctant"....the transmission in the truck was a genuine POS: it was a three speed with an automatic overdrive fourth, which made the truck feel like it had sunk into a sand bog when it engaged.

Eventually, fourth failed entirely, and I made the decision to replace the transmission and keep on going.

Well, the truck's engine didn't really enjoy hauling the plow down the road, and I had to continually move the plow around to keep air flowing properly....the radiator was fine...the truck just had a tendancy to get a bit warm unless I was very, very careful.

Then this summer, while running a short errand the engine died entirely, and a new shortblock was ordered. At the same time that was done, spring blocks and a seven blade fan and new fan clutch was installed. Now the truck is like new.

But we had the first foot of snow before the truck was out of the shop, so I had to plow my driveway, the road leading to it, the neighbor's driveway and the road leading to that, all with my eight horsepower snowblower. A LOT of exercise but it worked pretty well.

Some of my auger blades are bent because all of this work takes place on gravel or crushed stone. I can't tell you how many shear pins I have replaced, but a lot, and from Honda....hardened shear pins are ENORMOUSLY expensive.

Anyway, during storm #2, I tried to start the snowblower, and it made a loud clunk, and stoped dead still in place. The clutch cable has broken, and there she sits, right when I need her the most: covered with two feet of snow.

I am going to haul it out and take it to the REAL Honda service center in Bangor, and get it overhauled properly. It will be fifteen years since it has actually been properly serviced, and I imagine that it will be expensive. But when right, it will throw snow forty feet, and not even heavy wet snow will drop much closer. The tracks make it easy to raise the augers to different heights and the hydrostatic transmission makes it easy to control.

If I had a "normal" driveway I would be perfectly satisfied to have a five horspower Honda on tracks....which is what I had originally....throws the snow a long way, and has plenty of power. When I bought the 8 hp Honda, it was enormously expensive...or so it seemed to me: Around $1800, I think.

But it has been used HARD over very rough terrain, and I see now, that the Honda is a lifetime investment, and with a little maintenance, it will probably be willed to my grandson.
It pays to invest in good things. I feel that way about many things too. Windows. Cars. Building supplies. There's some things that just pay for themselves over time and are worth the money.
I didn't get a Honda and I'm wondering if I'll regret that decision, so far so good...but time will tell.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING MADE BY MTD. ......."That isn't designed to operate at below freezing temperatures."
I have a MTD White and have had no problems. Never replaced any part. I bought it new, maybe $700-$800, its about 8 years old now, still starts on 2nd pull. It has electric start, but I rarely use it because its so easy to pull start. Paint has flaked off on some parts. I may repaint it this summer. I do my own maintenance such as greasing up everything, changing oil every 10 hours, etc.

As for the "not designed to operate below freezing" comment, don't believe everything you hear. That guy is an idiot.

So if you dont have the money to get a Honda or Husq, you may be fine with a cheaper snow blower like MTD or whatever Home Depot is hawking at the moment

Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Wow, glad to hear somebody is having good luck with their White snowblower. The dealer up here dropped them because there were so many coming back for repairs all the time. I agree with the "That guy is an idiot" statement .

Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Yeah, serves me well. But I don't blame the dealer for dropping the brand. Its more of a home depot or walmart item than a dealer. I would assume MTD White doesn't have a good dealer program or incentives either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine