Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times

Advertisements

Do you have any?

And I'm not talking about the somalians either, but born and raised African Americans that can trace their ancestry back 400 years.

Yes, I'm thinking about relocating there. Haven't decided for sure yet, but I also haven't heard of any racial problems in the state either.

Are african americans far and few between or non existent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Maine QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Yes, 1.3%...not sure where though. On my last trip to Kittery and Portland, never saw any--definitely wouldn't let that stop you...start a trend!! : )

Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Maine QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Yes, 1.3%...not sure where though. On my last trip to Kittery and Portland, never saw any--definitely wouldn't let that stop you...start a trend!! : )
I won't. Thanks for the link!

I've never heard any real drama with Maine and I like that. I'm not going to post too much on here, because I don't want other people from my annoying city following me here (if I do decide to move).

Next thing you know, the place will be overrun with them and they'll be complaining about how "slow" the place is and not like "back home". Well, it's NOT supposed to be which is why YOU left "back home".

Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
LOL...looked like a bunch of great people in Portland...all sizes, shapes, and shades...low drama--the way it should be. Good luck and see ya there!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM

58 posts, read 95,366 times
I knew a few guys in Lewiston and portland back some years ago but I have long ago lost contact with them.
Like someone said... Set that trend!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
LOL...looked like a bunch of great people in Portland...all sizes, shapes, and shades...low drama--the way it should be. Good luck and see ya there!
LOL! I guess if it's only 1.3%, you WILL notice my arrival! LOL!

I'm going to research employment opportunities. Hopefully, I can find something without having to quit my current job to do it.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
In Dover, we have the Foxcroft Academy which brings in people from all over the world, especially Asia. I usually see several black people around town. It's not the color that Mainers think is important as much as your personality. From my own personal experience anyway. Come on up!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM

177 posts, read 408,090 times
I'm black, I don't go back a million generations though. Married to a white guy and we have a baby. There aren't that many of "us" but I have to say, I see black people everywhere in Portland. And at my mommy playgroup in South Portland, there seems to be a substantial amount of interracial families (white mom, darker baby). I think the farther away from the city center, the less black people (and the less people, overall).

I've never felt one single negative feeling towards me or my family. What's funny is that most Mainers will tell you that they didn't notice any black people here or there - but I do! They really don't even care enough to notice, kwim? Very easy going and laid back here, I promise!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 AM

177 posts, read 408,090 times
I have to add... My biggest adjustment wasn't about color shock, it was more about culture shock. Coming from big cities around the world, I was surprised just how rural Maine is, even in their big cities. I mean this very seriously. I was expecting Portland to be a small hub of sorts, but it's really really suburban and it drops out to straight up rural in just a few minutes drive. I don't believe there is one single nightclub in Portland. No where to go and dance. My brother came to visit and when his car turned into my driveway, people came out to see where all the music was coming from, hahaha.

It doesn't feel like the New England of CT or even MA. It feels more like the rural midwest. Tractors and pick up trucks and serious hunters and fishers... People who really love and live off the land. It's beautiful to watch but I'm still adjusting. Like, I only know 2 places that deliver food where I live and they both charge heavily for that experience. There is NO seamlessweb out here (gasp). And no one wears heels and designer bags to run errands, lol. People stop me and comment about how "cool" it is that I walk to the grocery store and always say something about my "fancy" stroller. I know it sounds silly, but really, that's been the "worst" of it.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
I have to add... My biggest adjustment wasn't about color shock, it was more about culture shock. Coming from big cities around the world, I was surprised just how rural Maine is, even in their big cities. I mean this very seriously. I was expecting Portland to be a small hub of sorts, but it's really really suburban and it drops out to straight up rural in just a few minutes drive. I don't believe there is one single nightclub in Portland. No where to go and dance. My brother came to visit and when his car turned into my driveway, people came out to see where all the music was coming from, hahaha.

It doesn't feel like the New England of CT or even MA. It feels more like the rural midwest. Tractors and pick up trucks and serious hunters and fishers... People who really love and live off the land. It's beautiful to watch but I'm still adjusting. Like, I only know 2 places that deliver food where I live and they both charge heavily for that experience. There is NO seamlessweb out here (gasp). And no one wears heels and designer bags to run errands, lol. People stop me and comment about how "cool" it is that I walk to the grocery store and always say something about my "fancy" stroller. I know it sounds silly, but really, that's been the "worst" of it.
We had a woman from the Dominican and her Irish husband moved into town from NYC a few years back. They were doing "exploritories" in January and February before they moved. Snow all over and she comes strolling down the street in heels, 40 pounds of jewelry, and extremely colorful clothes; looked like God crapped a rainbow. Said they just wantedd to fit in (to our "quaint" little fishing/working town). Finally bought a diner downtownm and almost killed it in 2 years. Aleways in a rush, course, demeaning, and ate/drank all the profit and then some. Their fights made for great dinner theater in the main square though.

On topic though, 1,300 people and a few are black; but no one cares. They are friendly and we are freindly, we get along as should be. I realize not all towns or cities are like that but we are small & close knit, not huge and anonomous.

To the OP, make sure to come visit before moving. Maybe a few times to cover the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine