Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:52 PM

428 posts, read 555,159 times

Advertisements

Jim,

Thanks for the great post! We are moving to Maine from Missouri in about 2 weeks. We are in our 50's and have a house and about 6 acres in S Aroostook Cty. We are both from the NE so no strangers to snow. We plan to be as self-sufficient as possible but have some outside income (pension, etc) as a back-up. Neighbors we have met so far meet your description. Hope that you can return some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,392,712 times
Quote:
I used to think when folks said; "Once a Mainer, ALWAYS a Mainer!" that they were just stating that out of pride. And to an extent, that's true. But Maine has a way of attaching itself to your heartstrings, a feeling like nothing else you'll ever feel.
25 years came and went, and now I'm no longer in Maine, but OH, how I wish I was. Because I'm a Mainer.

And once a Mainer, ALWAYS a Mainer!

~ Jim ~
great post.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM

103 posts, read 194,510 times
Quote:
Something to consider in trying to raise your own food in Maine is the shortness of the growing season here. If you're real lucky you can get your garden in by the end of May, though there have been years when we were lucky to get everything in by the end of June.
Maineah - this was a very good point. Being from NJ our growing season can sometimes go all the way into October. When and if we ever get up there - this is something to really consider. As of right now, my only "garden" is my topsy-turby tomato plant on my deck. Didn't feel like weeding a garden this year and now with weeks on end of 95 degree weather....well no thank you. I'd rather go pick a tomato from my deck

Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Maineah - this was a very good point. Being from NJ our growing season can sometimes go all the way into October. When and if we ever get up there - this is something to really consider. As of right now, my only "garden" is my topsy-turby tomato plant on my deck. Didn't feel like weeding a garden this year and now with weeks on end of 95 degree weather....well no thank you. I'd rather go pick a tomato from my deck
We had our "pioneering" days when we were in our 30's and 40's. We grew a huge family garden for about 20 years until both of the kids got out of high school. We burned coal for heat which was real inexpensive but kind of dirty. We grew all of our own veggies and put up potatoes, carrots, squash, turnip, pumpkins, pickled beets, dill beans, bread and butter pickles, and filled two big chest freezers to the top. We also raised turkeys and chickens and made our own bread and beer, harvested a deer about every year or a moose (three times), fished 35 lobster traps and caught smelts in the winter. It's practically a full time job in the summer staying ahead of the weeding, watering, pest control, fertilizing, harvesting and packaging of that much meat and produce. It IS rewarding to be sitting on enough food to get a family of four or five through an entire winter and we did save alot on the grocery bill. The season IS very short here in Maine and that compounds the amount of time and effort you have to put in to raising your own food.
I really do not miss all of that labor and fuss growing all of that food and we're content to go to a local farmer's market now and pick up a few fresh veggies in season.
It's comforting to know that if we HAD to do it again we know how to do it .

Old 07-05-2010, 11:23 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,555,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Maineah - this was a very good point. Being from NJ our growing season can sometimes go all the way into October. When and if we ever get up there - this is something to really consider.
It can here too. The growing season starts in April (March this year, very unusual) and ends in October or early November. You can keep some things that are frost hardy going until late fall.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 35,083 times
bring warmer clothes

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
I grew up and live in the area that all I need to ware is short and t-shirt. The food market always near by can easily walk to store and buy enough for dinner and breakfast for the morning.
In the past couple years I have been try to find a place in the northern states to live for a change. I found a large parcel of forest land in Ellsworth and plan to move there in 2008, will grow/raise my own food and live on the what ever land provide, use wood stove to keep the house warm.
Am I ready for Maine?, I am scare, exited and not sure I will survive the winter there.
What I want to know, since this thread was started in 2007, whether boonelsewhere actually did die during the winter of 2007-2008. Or maybe in that last snowstom around late March when we were in MDI to settle on Our House.

Zarathu

Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,659,049 times
He last posted in on CityData in mid-Novenber of 2009...

Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
He last posted in on CityData in mid-Novenber of 2009...
So.....he may not have survived the winter.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM

625 posts, read 793,186 times
If you have to ask then I would say you are not ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine