Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

Here at the lake we had a loon in early May as usual. We never heard or saw a loon again until Tuesday of this week. Then we saw our pair with a chick. The reason the pair has been so quiet is that the other pair did not return this year. Loons are very territorial and much of their calling is telling other loons to stay out of their territory. The chick is feathered out and about 1/4 the size of an adult. They like to chase small fish under our floating dock.

I was afraid that our pair had left because the lake is so high. The ramp down to our floating dock is nearly level instead of sloping down. Loon nests can be flooded and cold water will kill the eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
we've got a couple pairs on the water in out front,,,
think each pair has at least one little one- love to hear the wail at night,,,sounds pre-historic

the geese have done well,...two pairs,,,have 7-8 little ones each

the ducks are also doing well

i read once that geese can only count up to 3
so they dont like family mingling,,because they can lose them to each other-this is whats happened in the past,,,the different families keep the distance,,,been watching them here for 22 yrs..
this year
two families of geese have been best of friends,,,young ones intermingling,,,,no attacks, no head bobbing
must be a daughter geese,,,being friendly like this

Old 07-13-2013, 04:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
Got a few loons around here too. Hear them all the time...gets kinda annoying really, listening to them blame that Bush over and over.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 AM

375 posts, read 610,030 times
Reminds me of my youth accompanying my father to the Allagash or camping at Daicy Pond. The wild sound of the loons' calls is one thing I miss most about Maine.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Early in the season the loons seemed to be quieter than normal. But they seem to have regained their voice lately.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Two loons hanging around the dock on Schoodic this weekend. The bright red eyes are stunning. Big damn birds. But the local jet skis took care of the loons hanging around. Now, if they'd just open a summer season (on jet skis, not loons). I think some kind of rubber shot would just sting a little, and we could pass shoot them off the end of the dock. It would certainly make up for having to listen to idiots doing incessant "donuts" out front of the camp in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine