Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM

114 posts, read 136,395 times

Advertisements

How is telling the truth being a hypocrite? What I said is true. I am a minority and English and Spanish are the two major languages here in Southern California. My wife is Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish. I stated a fact so please don't bring politics into this.

I really truly want to know how different it is there in Maine compared to where I was born and raised. I do appreciate those of you that have been nice to let me know about your state. I welcome any information I can get from those that live there. I wasn't asking for commentary, just stating facts and will continue.

I love the aspect of the weather there. I look forward to seeing snow, rain, wind, just the variety that Maine seems to offer.

The populace sounds friendly, and I look forward to that. Angelino's, (L.A.) population at times can come across crass. Not always on purpose but honestly in order to survive. Imagine having the population of ten Maine's in one city. No wonder rats in a box eat each other. If my wife and I move over there hopefully we can contribute something. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
you've gotten some decent responses, Maineguy summed it up pretty well in my opinion, Basically I think some people on the board either like to look on the bleak side of life about every thing or else seem to want to scare new comers away. Personally I want you here, to buy property and to help pay into the Tax system.

People aren't as friendly as some places, but they aren't rude either. But they are genuine, and that counts for a lot! Once they know you don't want to come here change it, they warm up. Based on what you describe and what I know of LA, your going to be in heaven! Just buy some warm stuff once you get here, embrace the four seasons, find a winter sport to enjoy and you'll be set. There are plenty of people here from California and other parts of the country and from over seas, probably more down here in Portland.
Now you just have to decide if you want to be up in the north woods country, down by the shore or outside Portland. Plan a visit and don't let the nay sayers of doom on this board get into your head! Please post and let us know how your doing on your search, move and adjustment!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Atrixwolf. Thank you.

I've been searching Bucksport. It's by the water, looks quaint, gets snow, but I assume not as much as up north due to it's proximity to the ocean. Of course I'll be a "newbie" so what do I know. And yes if we move there we'll buy something and spend locally wherever we live.

By the way all is fair. If there are any "Mainer's" ( is what you are called?) planning on visiting California, either southern or northern, please feel free to ask me anything. Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state with incredible geography and variety. It's just not the California I grew up in. So many of us locals are leaving in droves.

mi piacci

sorry I had to throw that in.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
You'll get plenty of snow in Bucksport, even on the beach. Often snow comes in off the ocean, and the costal areas will get more snow than inland. Sometimes its the other way around. Often cross country skiing on the beach can be quite a nice experience...except for the wind factor.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:48 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post

Let me give you a catalyst of what my view of your thread is like. I basically need to speak English and Italian to be able to read and comprehend your thread. However you have the audacity to complain about the prevalence of the Spanish language in California and how it negatively affects you as a "white minority".

With all due respect sir, your thread stinks of hypocrisy.

Okay, this kind of post has happened before, and I've finally just got to ask:
How did you get here?? You have 136 posts; not one of them on the Maine forum. And today, you pop in to comment on a post with strong, strong language. How did you even find this??
It just seems kind of bizarre.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
I've been searching Bucksport. It's by the water, looks quaint, gets snow, but I assume not as much as up north due to it's proximity to the ocean. Of course I'll be a "newbie" so what do I know. And yes if we move there we'll buy something and spend locally wherever we live.

By the way all is fair. If there are any "Mainer's" ( is what you are called?) planning on visiting California, either southern or northern, please feel free to ask me anything. Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state with incredible geography and variety. It's just not the California I grew up in. So many of us locals are leaving in droves.

mi piacci

sorry I had to throw that in.
My husband and I had our honeymoon (15 years late) in San Diego. We also toured Santa Monica and LA and places in between. I loved everything except the highway (although there was a little entertainment here and there while traveling it).

He had been there for work before, but that was my first trip.

I have relatives in Bucksport and I grew up not far from there. It's an old town with a lot of old houses (lots of sea captain history) on the Penobscot River. The waterfront is fabulous and Fort Knox has come a long, long, way from when we used to skip school there. It was falling down then, but a group restored it. I love Bucksport. I wouldn't mind living in that area again if I didn't have obligations where I am now.

The taxes seem reasonable to my relative who owns 11 acres and a modular home.

Town of Bucksport, Maine*

Fort Knox and Penobscot Narrows Observatory

If you are on facebook, they also have a page called "Friends of Fort Knox."

Old 09-28-2013, 05:11 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
How did you get here?? You have 136 posts; not one of them on the Maine forum. And today, you pop in to comment on a post with strong, strong language. How did you even find this??
He or she probably found that it popped up on a sidebar and decided to chime in.

I chose to ignore it.

Clearly he or she has nothing to contribute to the topic at hand.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
... I'm new here. Here's my situation. I was born and raised in Southern Ca. (Los Angeles) Been a city boy for my entire life and am sick of it. Highest taxes in the U.S. Crime is rampant as well as welfare abuse. Gang bangers and a tremendous amount of illegal aliens as we are a border state with Mexico. Horrible traffic and only two seasons. Fall and summer.

I am so past the city life and so is my wife; she's from Miami. We are looking to retire early and move to Maine. I've been doing a lot of research. I notice that the most negative comments tend to come from those that are from Maine. I want an honest assessment.
Welcome

I am also a Californian who settled in Maine.

Quote:
... We want to live next to the ocean.
Maine has over 3,000 miles of coast line, enjoy

Quote:
... We wish to respect the culture of Maine and it's people. How do residents of Maine take to outsiders, especially from the West Coast?
Follow the threads here a while. Some folks are sticks-in-the-mud. They hate life, they hate Maine, they hate tourists, the only thing they seem to like is voting to raise taxes

Everyone else is cool though.

Quote:
... I know it will take us time to slow down. Any hints and advise is appreciated. We won't need work as we are retiring so jobs are not in the picture.

We are so looking forward to seasons and are willing to live in the winter. I thank in advance any help and look forward to visiting Maine soon.
I suggest that you avoid buying a home here, for the first year.

Rent somewhere and explore. In 6 months you will find a better place. Maine has different regions, there is no way to guess which region is best suited to you. As you mentioned it will take some time for you to settle in. So do not commit yourself to years and years in a specific house.

Get a hobby, join a club and become active in that club. Socializing is a big way to feel included in events.

I got active right away with the American Legion, VFW, Masonic Lodge and church. Then as we settled in, we saw that some of those were good matches for us, some were not.

I read a lot of posters here who move to Maine and then they feel lonely. But what are they doing to socialize? Nothing. I would avoid groups like Chamber-of-Commerce and City Council meetings, as I think that locals assume your here to change their town. [they can get upset about new folks wanting to change their lifestyle]

Trail-riding clubs are big. Dog-sled racing is big. Snowmobile clubs are huge. Gun clubs, fishing clubs, Grange, Rotary, there are lots of ways to fit in and make friends in Maine.

The biggest problem for most folks moving to Maine, is finding a job. Jobs are very scarce here. As a retiree, you have it made

Old 09-28-2013, 05:49 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It popped up on the side of my screen under "Active threads from around the forum". I clicked on the title "Leaving L.A. California" because it looked interesting, then I thought I would comment because I was offended because I am somewhat sensative about people discriminating against Hispanics.

I can see that no one else shares my sentiment. Sorry for disturbing your thread, I will not post here again.

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 09-28-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 PM

Default "Am I your enemy because I speak the truth?"

You say you are sensitive when someone discriminates against Hispanics. I discriminated so much that I married a full blooded Puerto Rican woman fluent in Spanish. I spoke the truth. Nothing I said was negative at all. There are far too many illegals here. Illegal is illegal that's it. Nothing more needs to be read into this.

I have to say the majority of people here have been very helpful, and I really appreciate it. I do not wish to change anything when we get there. In fact I hope to gain valuable change by my move there. Keep with the kind advice and suggestions. I'll also do the same if asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine