Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM

121 posts, read 320,632 times

Advertisements

I have looked at Down East and Shermans for a cookbook from Maine. I have made only Southwest dishes for ten years. Now it's time to learn some of Maines traditional recipes. Can anyone pass along the name of their favorite cookbook? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
I like the local ones you can find in just about every town. The ones where people share their favorite recipes through a local organization. Every one is a bit different and when I travel to a different part of the State I try to find one I haven't seen before. I tend to get these types on vacation as well. I know, a 44 year old construction guy buying cookbooks, but I can't help it if I like good cooking and trying local favorite dishes.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,681 times
I agree with Bydand, the local cookbooks are usually the best. The local grange women and churches put them out and the recipes are delicious!

Check LLBean's website, they may have some that appeal to you.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 PM

121 posts, read 320,632 times
How can I find these cookbooks from here in New Mexico? The LLBean site says it has no cookbooks. Help,please!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
just Google "Maine Cookbooks"
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,988 times
Amazon.com: Recipes from a Very Small Island: Books: Linda Greenlaw,Martha Greenlaw

Great cookbook! And there is a GREAT lasagna recipe!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
How can I find these cookbooks from here in New Mexico? The LLBean site says it has no cookbooks. Help,please!

I know Mr. Paperback has a bunch of local cookbooks. Every one of their stores I've been in has been very helpful. Although they don't have a true online bookstore, they have the contact numbers for each of their stores. Give them a call, I'm sure they can set you up with as many as you want. Mr. Paperback

Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,681 times
LLBean has stopped carrying cookbooks? Yikes! I know I've been gone for 18 months, but that seems weird. Maybe they just don't offer them online.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,999 times
eBay usually has people selling New England cookbooks.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
I have one of those local fund raiser cookbooks that a group called "Maine Speakout Project" published a few years ago. The mission of the Speakout Project is to create a society that is inclusive and respectful of people of differing sexual and gender orientations by providing opportunity for non-divisive dialogue. In addition to some wonderful family recipes it has some anecdotes and essays. There is one called "A Box of Love" that I re-read today while looking for a recipe. It is so beautiful I thought I would share it. It is credited to Lew Alessio.

"Peter was my first life partner, and oh! how he could cook. Our life together was graced with 30 years of wonderful meals. I could barely make Campbell's soup but did not need to. There was Peter whose idea of fun was collecting recipes, planning menus, sauteing, braising, roasting and baking.

Peter's death from pancreatic cancer ended the first half of my life, and a gourmet's parade of meals. Only an index of recipes remained as a quiet memory of all the sauces and cakes, stews and souffles. Aunt Sadie's cookies, Bertha's muffins, Fat Sassie's Chicken. For years, they silently hjeld their goodness. I had no urge to cook, no motivation beyond frozen meals, no idea who these people were.

And then I met Jim, whose many talents, like mine, do not include cooking. Jim, who I married joyously wondering how one can love two men so deeply, how one can be so lucky to have two wonderful chances at two lifetimes of happiness.

The index card box is active once again, and Aunt Sadie and Bertha and Fat Sassy are beside me,coaching and cajoling. Peter orchestrates them all in our crowded kitchen as together, this noisy extended family of people who never met, celebrates life and good food and love...family that death can neither silence nor seperate.

Come to dinner sometime. The sign at the entrance to our farm reads:
Love and Peace
Enchantment, gentle cheer.
Who knoweth these,
Welcome here.

There is always room at our table...compliments of hearts of kindness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine