Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

I don't have a dog in this fight so to speak as I am from Montana, not Maine, but I also have trapped for over 30 years.

In my state, lethal traps must be set at least 100 feet from hiking trails, non lethal such as leghold must also have a setback of 25 - 50 feet for popular trails.

Here are some of the guidelines that are taught in the trapper safety course here:
Some Methods for Improving Efficiency, Selectivity and Humaneness

• Use pan tension devices to avoid non-target catches
  • Use extra swivels and center-mounted chains to hold more animals and reduce the chance of injuries
  • Use modern positioning techniques at dirt hole sets to increase selectivity
  • Use short trap chains for most land sets, especially those targeted for fox and coyote
  • Use guarded or "stop-loss" traps for muskrats in shallow water or dry-land sets
  • Use dispatching methods that are quick and humane
  • Use trap sizes that are appropriate for the target species -- pad catches are desirable for fox, coyote, raccoon and many other animals because they cause fewer injuries
  • Use baits and lures that attract target species but not other animals
  • Use cage, box or species-specific traps near barns, outbuildings and other locations where domestic animals may be present
  • Use common sense in choosing locations that maximize opportunities to catch target species and minimize opportunities to catch other animals
  • Use secure methods of attaching traps -- tailor methods to hold the largest species you may catch
  • Use traps with padded or laminated jaws where the risk of non-target catches is high
  • Use discretion when setting body-gripping traps
  • Use time to your advantage -- don't set more traps than you can handle
  • Use early morning trap checks to reduce the time an animal is held, reduce its chances of escape, and avoid theft of traps and animals
I highlighted some lines to emphasise the precautions taken by legitimate trappers to avoid catching non target animals as non target species such as dogs are attracted to the same sents that coyotes and wolves are, so you have to take that into account espcially if trapping in areas where there is a chance of a dog off leash.

On state/federal ground, it is the responsbility of both the trapper AND the dog owner to take precautions to prevent accidental catches occuring.

I for one have appreciated the civility of this thread.

Sounds like there is a lot of common sense in Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
This discussion factors in a scenario that, frankly, I had not considered. That being the chance that my bird dog could get caught in a legal, or illegal animal trap. I have the right, as stated by Maine law, to run my dog 365 days of the year in bird training, not to mention the ground we cover during open upland game season. In the performance of bird hunting he is frequently out of sight and controlled by voice and whistle commands. We use a gps locator for the many times when he ranges beyond 50 yards.
What should I be looking for to protect my dog from such a hazard as steel and other spring traps?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Land trapping lasts what, I think less than 3 months, barely over 2 (haven't checked the ME seasons but I think it's close to VT's). There's about 10 other months of the year people can walk their dogs in popular hunting and trapping areas. There's areas I and others have hunted and trapped for years that the dog walkers simply do not want to share (and there were none of them 10 years ago) and some of them will tamper with traps (others will intentionally let their dogs run loose and scare off the wildlife). Moreover, if a dog is running loose, it's more likely to get killed by coyotes than traps, and year round too. I know people who stopped hunting coons with dogs because the coyotes started getting their dogs.

None of the foothold traps that are legal to set are going to make a dog bleed at its mouth. The biggest land animal being trapped is the coyote, about the size of a large dog (the cable foot snares for bears are not going to injure a dog). The bottom line is if it's not your land you need to be able to share it with other legal users. Some of the land I hunt has been posted specifically to keep out dog walkers, mountain bikers and hikers who interfere with hunters (he'll give any hunter permission). Closed to basically everyone else because some couldn't respect others.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM

109 posts, read 198,858 times
Maine isn't Montana. Maine is not Massachusetts either.

If someone wants to insure their dog won't step in a trap, BUY your own land and post it!
And yes, dog-walkers and hikers have 9-10 months of the year to wander around PUBLIC land they don't have to pay to use. They often trespass thinking "oh I'm doing no harm". B-S! They own oversized ego-homes on a quarter acre and think they have the right to wander ANY patch of woods in Maine.
A trapper pays the State $37 for a license and thousands on equipment, hundreds/thousand on fuel and then has to put up with an attitude from 'this woman'. Keep your dogs on a leash!
My 125 acres are posted 'by permission only' and I still have to bodily remove free-loaders regularly. And I constantly find trespassers, aka dog-walkers & hikers, on posted farms I have permission to trap.

And for the ignorant [that means you MAY learn if you wish], the proper term is FOOT-HOLD trap, not leg-hold. A properly sized & set trap will never hold a fur bearer by the leg.
The law is written to take into consideration bird-dogs, rabbit dogs and bear hounds. Learn the law and deal with it.

I'd like to suggest anyone with concerns of fido finding a trap, go to a hardware or sporting goods store that sells trapping equipment and have them show you how to release one.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Maine isn't Montana. Maine is not Massachusetts either.

If someone wants to insure their dog won't step in a trap, BUY your own land and post it!
And yes, dog-walkers and hikers have 9-10 months of the year to wander around PUBLIC land they don't have to pay to use. They often trespass thinking "oh I'm doing no harm". B-S! They own oversized ego-homes on a quarter acre and think they have the right to wander ANY patch of woods in Maine.
A trapper pays the State $37 for a license and thousands on equipment, hundreds/thousand on fuel and then has to put up with an attitude from 'this woman'. Keep your dogs on a leash!
My 125 acres are posted 'by permission only' and I still have to bodily remove free-loaders regularly. And I constantly find trespassers, aka dog-walkers & hikers, on posted farms I have permission to trap.

And for the ignorant [that means you MAY learn if you wish], the proper term is FOOT-HOLD trap, not leg-hold. A properly sized & set trap will never hold a fur bearer by the leg.
The law is written to take into consideration bird-dogs, rabbit dogs and bear hounds. Learn the law and deal with it.

I'd like to suggest anyone with concerns of fido finding a trap, go to a hardware or sporting goods store that sells trapping equipment and have them show you how to release one.
Anger like yours only hurts the cause of responsible trapping.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:46 AM

109 posts, read 198,858 times
Kracer*" No room for bad press these days so hang the idiots who give us bad PR through irresponsible actions though 'legal'."

Legal is legal! Irresponsible is to allow your dog to run "at large".

Bangor, It IS legal to set on-in-near any trail as long as permission is granted where needed and the trapper obeys the laws OF THE STATE OF MAINE!

A trapper will not usually set or remain in an area where high foot or vehicle traffic is anyway.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
It happens and with the owner's identity on the trap legally set, there is not much one can do about it except to keep your dog leashed. How about this poor guy.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 PM

582 posts, read 779,327 times
One additional item to add. Many people hike with children. Even with children under good or excellent control they will wander off the path time to time. Any reasonable person would expect that people would wander off a hiking path from time to time. As such, placing a device that could cause harm to a person within close proximity to a PUBLIC path would be reckless, regardless of it being legal. So if a person was harmed, the person setting the trap could be held both civilly and legally liable. Of course this would not apply to PRIVATE land were the people were hiking. However, GUESTS and minor children using private land would be a different story.

When it come to public lands everyone needs to remember they are public lands. That many that other have just as much right to use that land as you. If trappers and hikers are using the same land, then the hikers need to be extra careful should they venture off the trail. However, does mean that it is OK set a trap where a small side step could result in harming someone.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:15 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Maine has some of the best laws regarding liability. If you cross my land that is posted and are injured-you are responsible. If you cross my property with permission and get hurt-you are responsible. If I invite you to hike along with me on my land and you get hurt-you are responsible.
We want people to enjoy the state but don't throw a lawsuit at us.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
One additional item to add. Many people hike with children. Even with children under good or excellent control they will wander off the path time to time. Any reasonable person would expect that people would wander off a hiking path from time to time. As such, placing a device that could cause harm to a person within close proximity to a PUBLIC path would be reckless, regardless of it being legal. So if a person was harmed, the person setting the trap could be held both civilly and legally liable. Of course this would not apply to PRIVATE land were the people were hiking. However, GUESTS and minor children using private land would be a different story.

When it come to public lands everyone needs to remember they are public lands. That many that other have just as much right to use that land as you. If trappers and hikers are using the same land, then the hikers need to be extra careful should they venture off the trail. However, does mean that it is OK set a trap where a small side step could result in harming someone.
Even a small child would have a hard time fitting their feet in coyote traps. We're not talking big traps here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine