Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 PM

114 posts, read 136,414 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing that you guys are going to get hit with another cold front. Over here in Southern Cali, we are getting ready for a heat wave. Also did you hear that in parts of California you will be fined if you start a fire in your fireplace because the smoke from the chimneys can harm the air.

Freaking tree huggers over here. I can't even enjoy a fire in my fireplace now. Yes. Yes I actually have a fireplace in case the temp plummets below 60 degrees. Anyone mind if I come and spend the night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Sometimes one of my brothers [in California] will see a story on TV about a storm hitting somewhere on the East Coast. So he will call me and ask: "You guys ok over there?"

Most of the time, it is something I have not heard of.

Weather-guessers like to over emphasize their forecasts. They go on and on about how we are going to get a foot of snow, and then we get 3 inches.

I think that the West Coast talking heads hear it, and they add their own spin. So what my relatives hear is: "ice storms, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, and pixies" all in the same storm, all hitting the same spot.

They call me, like we must be having the biggest storm of the century.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
That's nothing new. When I lived in NorCal. They tell you what days you can or can't use a fireplace. In places like Davis and Sac they even have volunteer "rats" drive around and look for smoke coming out of chimneys. If they catch you they call in your address and you get fined! Don't think the rats would make it around here....lol!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Parducci - perhaps the ban on fires in the home fireplace is something that will prevent more of the fires in CA that we keep seeing on the news. It's possible that sparks that escape from the chimney can cause problems during a drought. We are getting the news that CA is having a serious drought. Be greatful you still have a home. It seems many homes have been destroyed by fires in the past year. Unless the news we are getting is lies.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
For any West-coaster thinking of moving East ~

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/frigid-a...snow-into-east

Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 AM

114 posts, read 136,414 times
Default Here's the thing........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Parducci - perhaps the ban on fires in the home fireplace is something that will prevent more of the fires in CA that we keep seeing on the news. It's possible that sparks that escape from the chimney can cause problems during a drought. We are getting the news that CA is having a serious drought. Be greatful you still have a home. It seems many homes have been destroyed by fires in the past year. Unless the news we are getting is lies.
Right now one of the main places that they are really banning the fireplace's is Bakersfield. It's flatland desert with no trees so there really isn't a danger of forest fires or homes burning. It's because they don't want to harm the air.

Over here. Grab a sign, and hug a tree and you'll fit in just fine.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM

506 posts, read 684,052 times
I don't blame California for worrying about air quality......it sucks!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
I don't blame California for worrying about air quality......it sucks!
the problem is home fireplaces dont effect air quality. To clarify they might slightly, but nothing like the factory or industrial area down the road.... or recreational boats or small engines.

Alot easier to ban home fires and appear to be doing something about the problem, then actually do something about it.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
The air quality in California is mostly coming across from China. The biggest polluter in the world. They build a new coal fired plant every week!
Actually air quality in NorCal isn't all that bad.....except in the summer if there is a wildfire of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine