Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 PM

121 posts, read 320,731 times

Advertisements

Please don't write me off as some kind of new age nut without at least thinking about this. Last evening we had guests over for dinner and everything was going beautifully. The house was warm and cozy. Fire in the fireplace, candles, wine, good food, great people. After dinner we laughed and talked until almost midnight. As we said our goodnights I was feeling very positive about the future. Then it happened. My very last guest , a very gifted psychic from New Orleans said to me as he walked out the door, "Chere, if you don't want to be here next year, giving this same party, you need to make some changes." Shocked i asked,"What do you mean?" He Said," The negativity you feel towards this place hangs from every corner. No one is going to come in here and love this house because you don't. It's your own negativity that keeps you here. Do yourself a favor chill and sage." Then he was gone. And that is what I did. Saged the whole house and tried to make peace with the home I once loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
You know I don't know that I ever would have thought of this, but it makes sense. I think we've all walked into a place and felt heaviness, or an unsettled feeling, or been downright uncomfortable....just knowing the place wasn't for us. If a buyer walks into the home and it's not feeling restful, or homey, that buyer is going to keep looking.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:24 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Uh-oh, that means that this house will never sell! We don't just hate the house, we hate the city it's in and pretty much the whole State! Aaarrgh!!

Tell me more about how to "sage a house" please.

I've never thought of it that way, but it really does make sense! DH & I have walked into houses before, when house hunting, and turned right around and walked back out because they felt all wrong.

I hope this works for you Santa Fe and that you are soon on your way home to Maine.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 AM

73 posts, read 148,249 times
I love old old homes here in New England and I have always said I can feel if there were happy times in the home or not. I don't know how, but just could. Sounds weird. but hey.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
I believe all things in nature have a spiritual connection. I've been in places that made my skin crawl and places that felt as much like home as Grandma's house always has. I also believe that focusing on the negative feelings we have brings them right into the forefront. Soooo, it makes perfect sense that we may be sabotaging our own efforts by focusing on our #1 - strong desire to get rid of the house and #2 - fear that we never will sell.

As my mother would say, maybe we just need an attitude adjustment!

I DO love this house. It's not the house's fault that it wasn't built in Maine! DH and I have transformed it into exactly what we envisioned the first time we walked into it. I can pull out old pictures that we took as we were remodeling and redecorating and be quickly reminded of how beautiful it is now. Maybe I need to do that. It's been hard to feel at home when I have to keep it looking like a showplace all the time, but maybe a few more touches of "home" would be helpful.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
No, you aren't a nut. When I and my DW (MenME) were house hunting, we went into a house in Lubec, just reduced in price with a water view of the bridge to Campobello that was awesome. When I walked in the house, a feeling of dread and sadness came upon me. The furnishings of the owner who had recently passed away were still in the house. We walked through the house, and investigated every room. I couldn't wait to get out of that house. I walked out and took a deep breath, and the sadness was gone. My DW had felt the same thing, and she wanted to just get away from the house. No, I am not a new age groupie either. I had never heard of saging, but this house needed something. I think the price had been dropped because the heirs were fighting over the money and wanted cash, and quick cash at that. That is one of the nice things about Maine real estate, the agent can give you some of the story behind the house. The home we purchased was restored with love, and the owner said he hoped we love the house as much as he did.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
... He Said," The negativity you feel towards this place hangs from every corner. No one is going to come in here and love this house because you don't. It's your own negativity that keeps you here...
Oh my! I've been wondering a lot over the past year what had happened to my little house that was so wonderful when I moved in 9 years ago. I remember standing on the back porch after the first night here, and taking in a magnificent, cloud striped, pink sunrise. The place was full of the excitement of a new adventure. It is not that way now, and I have been wanting to leave here quite badly. Your post points to the fact that its' quite a bit me that has changed. And your post comes during this past week when I have been having tiny glimpses into the trouble, and have been trying to do something, but didn't know what or why.

Thanks!!! for getting me to "pay attention to that man behind the curtain."

Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM

121 posts, read 320,731 times
Default Sage

http://www.yoni.com/healerf/smudge.shtml

This web site describes how to sage or smudge(I believe this is the proper name for it). It really works. I dont believe the site mentions it ,but it is important to open the front and back door to let the negative energy out and the positive energy in. Good Luck.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Spiritual connectness to a home doesn't have to be a mistery or supernatural. Probably anyone of us here can drive by a home with a broken marriage and see that something just isn't right. At least that has been my experience. I have seen a few marriages fail in my neighborhood and the home suffered too

But what a great observation your friend made......and a true friend indeed to have been honest with you. I have the same feelings about where I live. I get so depressed about my home that It's hard for me to get motovated to dress it up. And I think it would make a great house for another family. Great location and.....ok ok no advertising

P.S. What is chill and sage...are they both spices? how do you sage the house?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:39 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I have saged my house to bless and sanctify it, but not since it went on the market; maybe it is time to do it again. White sage grows all over the hillsides out here so it is readily available and I have some dried ready to use. I am glad that I havent yet packed up my abolone shell that I use to hold the sage. I also have "drummed" the energy of the house when I moved in--perhaps I might do that again--but I think I will wait till I am home alone so no one thinks I am nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine