Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times

Advertisements

Dear Forum friends. Thank you for the creators, administrators and the participants of this Positive, Friendly and Informative place that I dscovered in April 2007 when I first had the thought about moving me to the land of Maine. I have enjoyed reading and participating, and sometimes even posting my own "contributions" to the group for better or worse. The wisdom and knowlege of the group members are a joy to read and receive.

As the year comes to a close, I would like to tie up "loose ends." There were a couple of threads where I had posted my thoughts, but now still wish I had added more, or been more clear... I hope this might be of interest to the group and maybe others might have year end forum stories.

Here are two thread/posts that kept bugging me after I left them... I hope, here to put these harpies to rest...

"Can I Get Grits in Maine?" 12/06

As the discussion got around to the power of oatmeal and my description of track work at a local trolley museum, I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
... I work on track at a local trolley museum, replacing rotted ties. I do this as a volunteer as the work is so hard you couldn't pay me enough to do it...
And mainewannabe wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
... I really appreciate this post. I can see you working at something that no one can pay you for. I very much appreciate that quality...
I appreciated mainewannabe's response but also wished I had put a smiley face in my original post which seems a little bit pompous. Actually, I also would only do this work as a volunteer because I doubt there is anyone anywhere who would pay me for what I could do.

"Any Suggestions On How To Move Belongings To Maine" 12/20

As we discussed moving one's lifetime belongings to a new location, many posters discussed discarding unensential things rather than paying to move them. I had added a quote from Thoreau's Walden (1845-1847)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
... It is _so_ liberating to get rid of all this baggage. Feels good! (One may enjoy the opening paragraphs of Thoreau's Walden, and one that begins " I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of..."
And there was the sensible response that what the heck is wrong with inheriting a farm, house, land etc. My quote from Thoreau was not well served by being presented out of context. And I regretted this, and also wished that I had provided more appealing and representative quotes from the book. Here is a better quote. It is the wonderful opening paragraph of the book, from the first section which is labeled "Economy."

"When I wrote the following pages, or rather the bulk of them, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I had built myself, on the shores of Walden Pond, in Concord Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my hands only. I lived there two years and two months. At present I am a sojourner in civilized life again."

Are you able to resist reading the rest of this book yet? The second paragraph begins, " I should not obtrude my affairs so much on the notice of my readers if very particular inquiries had not been made by my townsmen concerning my mode of life, which some would call impertinent, though they do not appear to me at all impertinent, but considering the circumstances, very natural and pertinent. Some have asked what I got to eat; if I did not feel lonesome; if I was not afraid; and the like..."

I will leave you to find the rest of the wonderful word pictures and thoughtful considerations of a man confronting the natural world on its' own terms. I hope to undo any possible damage I may have done to the reputation of this great book by my earlier post. BTW, all my quotes and references come from a well worn paper copy that I got in 1967. This book reflects so many things and values that the forum talks about.

Well hope you all can accept my clearing up stuff. And may everyone else here have a satisfactory completion of the year 2007 and a whole bunch of new and old opportunities continuing in 2008.

Very Best Wishes To All!

qw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
I've also done the "hmmm, think I should have added a smiley"! sometimes I go back and put them in, and sometimes I forget. I find that I rely on all of you to know me from my posts well enough to know what I mean most of the time--some things just don't type out well!

And of course there have been times I have said things that were nasty and in reality I would have said much worse but it was against the TOS, and I pushed it as much as I dared! Thankfully those times are rare!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
The fact that both molly and quietwalker felt the need to post on this thread shows me how wonderful and conscientious of other people's feelings they both are.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
The fact that both molly and quietwalker felt the need to post on this thread shows me how wonderful and conscientious of other people's feelings they both are.
My wish is that I remember to say Thank You to all that have been so friendly and helpful. There are some wonderful people here.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
My wish is that I remember to say Thank You to all that have been so friendly and helpful. There are some wonderful people here.
And you are most certainly one of those wonderful people, msina!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
I agree - the people on this forum are some of the finest I've known in a very long time. You are truly among my closest friends, and I'm not one to give away my friendship at the drop of a hat.

Your opinions, thoughts and feelings have grown to be such an important part of my life that I begin and end every single day with you! Just ask DH, who automatically refreshes the page for me if he walks by the laptop and I'm not parked in front of it - as he just did a few moments ago!! He said, "You going to check your messages once more before I turn this off?"

Even he has come to recognize and acknowledge the importance that you all play in our future. Our girls have started to ask about which of my "Maine friends" have kids that they will be able to play with. Yes, you are very much a part of our lives - as if we are already there, chatting, sipping coffee and dining together!

Soon, my dear friends!! I believe I will owe you all a Southern style meal for the pages and pages of wisdom you have shared with me!

Thank you!!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Most of the time I hope what I've said is taken in the spirit it was said. Without body language and facial expression it's hard to convey emotions sometimes. At times I want to come back to explain something because I've worried. Just know that I have a gentle heart and mean well.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
thank you moughie! so glad to see you back!!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Most of the time I hope what I've said is taken in the spirit it was said. Without body language and facial expression it's hard to convey emotions sometimes. At times I want to come back to explain something because I've worried. Just know that I have a gentle heart and mean well.
I will totally agree with that. I feel everyones love from so far away...but, I do hope that everyone knows anything said is sent in love or laughter and I only wish the best for everyone. Thank you all for being there.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,658 times
What a nice thread.

I never post "smiley" faces...or at least almost never. I have posted a couple to my granddaughters, but they're different.

Some people have accused me on and off list of being "curmudgeonly". Hell, my WIFE has accused me of that from time to time, and the truth is, that from time to time, I AM curmudgeonly. And when I feel that way, I don't let it make no nevermind: if I am feeling curmudgeonly, I just let it out and someone else can deal with it...or NOT: up to them.

Then there are those times when I just sort of like to PRETEND that I am feeling curmudgeonly, and say things to see what might happen. Amazing what fun that can be.

Because, I think we all tend to take ourselves and a whole lot of other stuff, entirley too seriously. And when I feel especially curmudgeonly, I remember the wise words from the most brilliant military commander under whom I ever served: "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have volunteered."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine