Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:50 PM

145 posts, read 214,475 times

Advertisements

Newnorthmainer sounds like you just moved very recently, I would love to hear some of what your first impressions of Maine were upon your arrival. Where did u move from? How r u doing with the cold weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM

145 posts, read 214,475 times
Thank you to everyone for your replies! Sounds like Maine truly is a place I really would like to move to. I love hearing that people seem to describe Mainers as genuine, self reliant, and humble. Some things I feel are lacking where I'm from. Not everyone of course, nice people here too.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
Ditto to independent; genuine; giving

Within my community, I have seen people who were once hateful toward one another rally together in times of need. If this isn't a contradictory, beautiful force of human nature to be reckoned with, I don't know what is. I'm pretty sure this sort of thing goes on elsewhere in Maine communities. I love where I live.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlylilac View Post
Glad to hear that greengene! Curious though what one thing you might say could use improvement or just wasn't your personal cup of tea if you will. Not meant to be in an ugly or negative way but just curious. If you can think of one ; )
Well, not that I can do much about it, but the state economy isn't great. Too many young people leave and find better jobs elsewhere. Maine is, I believe, the oldest state ... which is to say, the average age is the highest, and my wife and I moving here didn't help it any!

The only way I can help - and it ain't much - is to buy locally. It's not going to be easy. Amazon and other online businesses are just so darn easy. But I'm doing what I can to avoid online purchases and big-box purchases, and instead seeking smaller, independent stores.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
True New Englanders.

I've never found anything negative about them but then I don't live there. I've known people from Maine, had relatives from Maine, been to Maine but never lived there. I live not too far away, on the border of MA and NH.

What others have said--genuine, real, sensible, caring, kind, independent. This is what New Englanders USED to be like. Now I think the only true New Englanders left are in Maine. Life as it Used To Be.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:24 AM

383 posts, read 429,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlylilac View Post
Newnorthmainer sounds like you just moved very recently, I would love to hear some of what your first impressions of Maine were upon your arrival. Where did u move from? How r u doing with the cold weather?
Why, thank you!

It's an odd thing. While I come from a mountain in Pennsylvania where a PA Department of Transportation sign says "Highest Elevation," and while I know what it's like to drive remote two-lane roads without all-wheel-drive...on ice, I have to observe something odd about Maine. Namely, it's the awareness of how far north I am that is making the "dark months" more forbidding.

I've asked myself if the God-given-gorgeous tundra north of Bangor contributes to this feeling of the winter being colder--when it's clearly not. We've had sunshine on days when New York and Ohio were pounded with their deadly snow. But even if, say, Quebec or Toronto filled the space between Bangor and Absolute Northern Maine, I'd still feel the same way.

The prevalence of French as Northern Maine's real first-language was also something I was unprepared for. In my case, this was a dazzling delight, as I chose very Northern Maine for its proximity to Montreal. But when I moved here, I had no idea that New Brunswick's western cities are as French as any city in Montreal. I love this. It gives Northern Maine the feeling of living overseas without the...well, living overseas part.

While other older folk may differ about what I'll say next, it's my opinion that regional flavor becomes of less importance as you age. I know from past moves to other areas of the country that I would not do well in a climate unlike the one in which I was born and raised. I therefore know that anything north of Philadelphia (i.e., Pennsylvania to where I am now--tip-top Maine) is climatologically the same: four seasons, give or take intensity). I know this because of my experience living in the south. The minute you leave Maryland, the temperature rises and the humidity drops...even when torpid July weather blankets the eastern seaboard.

But in regard to whether I care about Maine heritage, history, politics: I care no more about them at the age of 58 then I cared about Pennsylvania, where I was born and raised. Priorities change as you get older. Sure, it's "neat" to say I live in Maine. Practically speaking, the cost of living has gripped me by the throat and won't let go. I'd venture to say that for all but the most affluent older Americans, COL trumps regional atmosphere every time. But do I plan to stay? Better believe it.

Thank you so much for asking. Happy Thanksgiving, California Lilac!

Last edited by Purplecow; 11-22-2014 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
shallow
gene
pool

Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Peaceful (up here).
Pine-scented.
The 'downeast' accent is so cute!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
shallow
gene
pool

You're stealing my lines! I'd rep ya if I could.....

Old 11-22-2014, 12:32 PM

147 posts, read 215,569 times
Helpful
Caring
Tough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine