Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:44 PM

100 posts, read 420,654 times

Advertisements

1) Current City and State = Manville, NJ

2) Why do you want to leave = Taxes, schools, taxes, commute, taxes, stressful job, taxes, small yard, taxes, flooding, taxes. Did I mention taxes?

3) Where In Maine and Why = Ellsworth/franklin area. Its the area i know, visited often, my child's father's family is there

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = NC and PA

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = selling my NJ house, finding a J-O-B in Maine, I heard taxes and electric bills are very high in Maine.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = I love Maine. Its clean, you can breathe, you can have large yards for your kids/dogs, it is a much nicer way of life. Thats what I need and what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Real estate is less expensive downeast,,,but not much else is. I've lived in the midcoast all my life..I now have a house in Washington County. There is nothing there for kids...you have to drive for miles to do anything (unless you live right in town Eastport). It all depends on what you are looking for. We were really excited to move Downeast..only to be quite disappointed. it would be ideal for a retired couple, however.
I completely disagree that there is nothing for kids "downeast". I'd elaborate but I'd be completely off topic.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,846 times
Quote:
El, if you want a good school system, you can't beat Camden/Rockport. Plus, it's in the midcoast...my taxes aren't high, and things are much less expensive here than Downeast. You should really think about it...also, low crime rate.
No no no!!! El needs to pick Eastport. it will be easier for her to hang out with her ya-ya's just as simple as walking out her front door!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,846 times
1) Lebanon, Ohio

2) Lived in Ohio all my life and bored with it. DH wants to move away from the rednaeck factor!

3)Fell in love with Eastport was like I'd finally come home!

4)IMHO, there are no other choices!

5)Kid commuting to college and the inability to convince DH that we could find
jobs up there (though, I too, would prefer to be retired once we move and out on the water everyday!) oh yeah and more $$$$

6) I love having you guys around.. helps me feel like part of me is already there and that I'm not a nut job for wanting this SOOO badly!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,387 times
1) Current City and State = Chattanooga, TN

2) Why do you want to leave = I've been in TN for 27 years, and I'm ready for a change.

3) Where In Maine and Why = Down East or possibly Belfast/Rockland area

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Hmmmm... maybe Oregon or California

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Relationship (longtime boyfriend won't move that far away - I may have to make a choice between the two). Also, finances. No jobs Down East from what I hear.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = I hope we all get there someday! It's nice to share the dream... (and no Dramamama, you are not a nutjob for wanting it so badly!)

Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 AM

McMar, people who have a desire to work can find jobs downeast....it may not be what you'd deem as the perfect job, but there are opportunities to work. Every single week there are jobs advertised in the local papers....they're not all burger flipping jobs either---for example, Calais Regional Hospital is currently looking for a new CEO after the recent announcement of our longtime CEOs retirement, and I suspect shortly we will have openings for two police officers here in Calais. There are businesses, law firms, community colleges and a branch of the university, as well as two hospitals, numerous banks.....people who want to work are working. Incidentally, with the building of the third bridge in Calais comes more jobs---not only in construction, but also in Homeland Security.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
M, which EMS handles the Calais area? And would it be the same service for Eastport? We're trying to get some contact info.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:04 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Pay close attention to what Molly said. The myth that there are no jobs in Washington county needs to end.

The call center is coming, the industrial circle in Woodland is growing, the local food industry is growing (good pun, huh?). To say there are no jobs shows a lack of true knowledge.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Quote:
Real estate is less expensive downeast,,,but not much else is. I've lived in the midcoast all my life..I now have a house in Washington County. There is nothing there for kids...you have to drive for miles to do anything (unless you live right in town Eastport). It all depends on what you are looking for. We were really excited to move Downeast..only to be quite disappointed. it would be ideal for a retired couple, however.
It's a shame you were disappointed. It could have been avoided.

There's more than enough for kids to do here and it isn't all centered in Eastport. Parents can easily over extend their kids here. That's another myth that should come to an end.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Agreed MW!! in addition to the jobs available, think of all those who create their owns jobs and businesses down here! I get extremely disgusted to see the myths perpetuated----and 9 times out of 10, it's by people who don't live here, or who moved here with this pollyanna idea and realized that some effort is involved in living here--and left!

El, it's Downeast Ambulance----as far as I know they serve all of Washington County except for the reservations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine