Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times

Advertisements

I believe Badger meant "Hopefully We'll Put Them Out Of Business,.. as We Will Do such a Great Job They'll No Longer Be Needed." A optimistic view and kindly meant. I don't think we're likely to see a huge drop in drug use. As long as there have been people, and drugs, there has been abuse and addiction. I hope I'm wrong,.. but it's just my little opinion on what little I've observed in life.

AND...........POKE!! All intelligent opinions (and some unintelligent ones) are welcome.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,850 times
I will give you a POKE too, Alice. This is a big subject and I too have very strong opinions on it. My opinions are difficult for me to put into words and I have tried to write this post several times and it just comes out sounding all wrong. I DO BELIEVE that help of whatever kind you can give to someone with this problem should be given. It is a big problem in our society and starts with the doctors that give many of these drugs out too freely. Drug addiction is very difficult to live with and so very very hard to live through the withdrawel and life without drugs. My prayers are with all of those that need these clinics and counselors.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 PM

18 posts, read 45,662 times
ok I am going to attempt to clarify my beliefs in this area. First, I believe there are addicts that cannot get clean without assistance from the medical field. There is a new drug called suboxone which is only 40% of the synthetic opiod strength of methadone. This gives those taking it more clarity and less ability to abuse because it has a "ceiling" to it where people cannot get any higher. There is less abuse on the streets because it is not "popular". There are plenty of more stronger drugs to choose from. Most use it to calm their withdrawals. This medication is prescribed by a physician and can be linked to intensive therapy while the people are on this. This gives the opportunity to address the issues that began the road of destruction in the first place. They will be able to identify living skills, relapse prevention through group and individual counseling weekly. All of this is contracted with the doctor providing the suboxone and the counselor providing the therapy. Abuse is not tolerated and there are pill counts. People get a prescription instead of having to show up every day. People contract to have clean urinalysis including benzodiazapines, pot, alcohol etc. People can eventually learn recovery skills and develop new ways of coping. They will have less withdrawal symptoms when coming off the medication which will trigger them less hence drug free living. (there are exceptions to every rule however)

I believe this is for the seriously addicted and not for everyone. The methadone clinics have suboxone but it is expensive and there is no mandated follow up with counseling. Besides this, if someone is on Mainecare they are locked into what the methadone clinic provides only and cannot seek additional counseling.

I am all for those sick and suffering finding any method to getting well. I just want to provide the best possible route which will have their success in the forefront.

ok...I'm ready go ahead.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger207 View Post
ok I am going to attempt to clarify my beliefs in this area. First, I believe there are addicts that cannot get clean without assistance from the medical field.

ok...I'm ready go ahead.
I totally agree with getting clean anyway they can. I have seen first hand that when given one drug to get off another drug the person tends to then need "A DRUG" to stay with. This is NOT Clean. If it leads to being truly drug free that is wonderful. Withdrawel without drug help leaves a memory of a horror that many people do not want to go through again. That alone can make you stay away from ANY drug that alters the fellings in anyway.
I have not had experience with the drug you speak of and I hope that it is as good as you say. Drug abuse destroys lives of not just the abuser but of everyone they know.
It is times like these that I wish I had a way with the written word as many of you have. I do hope and pray there is help for everyone addicted that needs it. Life is so wonderful drug free, but it is hard to make someone on drugs to understand that when they need to the most.
Sorry.....I probably just rambled on and my soap box on this subject is very high.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Down in the places like southern New England, there is an epidemic of break ins and a trade in Suboxone, as well as Narcan, if you can believe that. The addicts use it to get through the week before they can go on their weekend heroin or oxy spree.

It is an interesting field (addiction.) Some are helped by the methadone treatment. Many aren't, simply because they haven't abused the narcotics long enough. In long term narcotic use, or abuse, the opiate (mu) receptors in the central nervous system need constant stimulation to live a semblance of normalcy.

I am not a huge fan of MMC in every town and city. There just seems to be too much abuse in the system. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for those in the mental health field. There are clinics serving far more population bases with fewer clinics in other areas of the country.

Narcotics abuse intervention has turned into an industry. I have noticed that many in the system simply have not been addicted long enough and would benefit from psycho-behavioral therapy, rather than methadone, suboxone, etc.

This is an interesting thread and very relevant to Maine right now as many towns are grappling with the idea of moratoriums on MMC's. Keep the ideas and thoughts coming!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Here's how I see it: Compare the drug rehab clinics with abortion clinics. I have no personal knowledge of abortion clinics either. However, there is a cause and effect with the bombing and/or forced closings of abortion clinics. When abortion clinics are bombed or forced to close their doors, you know what happens? 8 months to a year later, a newborn is found wrapped in newspapers and barely breathing - if alive - in a dumpster, in an alley, in a public restroom somewhere. I know you've all heard such stories on the news or in the paper. That, my friends, is what happens.

I don't know why nobody else has connected these dots.

Remove the abortion clinic, then what does the pregnant girl do when she has no means to go to another town that has one or is suffering from untreated depression or other mental incapacity, is oppressed, shamed, in an abusive relationship - whatever her circumstances are, she has to resort to another means of "getting rid" of a problem.

By all means, adoption is the far better choice. The fact is that when you are trying to hide that you are pregnant in the first place, an adoption agency just isn't an option. And if the pregnant woman is also abusing drugs or alcohol, she would be hard pressed to find an agency willing to work with, or support her. Enter the dumpster. Meanwhile, people like me would give both ears and all teeth to have a baby. But people like me, well, we just don't considered viable options. Single, disabled, too old. Stupid reasons, really, considering the vast number of grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a matter of choice or convenience. But, I digress.

So what does this have to do with drug counselors and clinics? It's all intertwined. We tend to see just ONE problem that we oppose and we try to get rid of it like a cancer - oblivious to the effect down the road as a result of that action.

An addict may end up dead, become a criminal stealing to get the next fix. A person in need of a fix is a desperate and dangerous person incapable of rational thought. That's when little old ladies with walkers are mugged, the elderly targeted for theft or their homes burgled because they are easy targets and usually, a drug addict needing a fix wouldn't be able to hold his own against someone able to fight back. Next thing you know, children will be held up at gunpoint for their milk money.

Last edited by AliceT; 01-18-2008 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I am learning things and will keep reading. Thanks to everyone who took time to explain.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
I agree with Maine Writer--thanks for all the information!

Badger, there is an ad in this week's Calais Advertiser that I'd not noticed before--it's for "family group counseling" in the evenings. The ad gives the address and the counselor's name and phone number. I'm not sure if she's part of a group or works independently, but she may be able to provide you with some information about the area and what is here for opportunities in your field. If you'd like me to message you with her information just let me know

Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 AM

18 posts, read 45,662 times
Thank you mollysmiles, any help would be appreciated. It would be nice to connect with those already in the trenches.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:56 PM

40 posts, read 97,909 times
We have plenty of drug addicts here....please by all means.......come on down!

Severe problem here. I would think the judge can send you some clients also if they do that here...make people go to couseling as part of their release or punishment...etc.

Any help for them is welcomed here. G-d bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine