Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times

Advertisements

Maine's birth rate is very low. It correlates with our status as the oldest state in the country. We need immigrants. The problem is that a paper company can't transfer in an engineer from Europe, but we support alien criminals. There is a fundamental flaw on the part of our government in that behavior. This is not racist. It is survival as a nation.

Once again, we need immigrants. They are building a nice dorm for them at Bar Harbor. Every fall a large jet brings workers from Jamaica to pick apples in Maine. They work hard and when the harvest is over, they fly back to Jamaica. The year I graduated from high school I picked apples before college started. Kids in Maine today don't want to do that. If they did, there would be no need for foreign workers to fly in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,072 times
Parts of Lewiston were like that long before anyone ever heard of Somalia. Munjoy Hill in Portland and the waterfront were probably the most dangerous places in Maine in the late '60's early '70's. Hell, I remember . . . the Irish Pub down by the waterfront in the early '70's - what's his name's. Very dangerous. Now look at them.

I'm out of this thread. I agree with Camanchaca.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
I see; another drive-by accusation of racism.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
I have read through all this and, though a bit taken back by some of the comments, I do find one thing odd.
If places do have weed being grown- why not call it in to authorities ? I can not imagine any place in Maine with the crime been spoken of.. Its not like Maine is " DC".

oh and uh.. with as cold as this winter was- "low births" in Maine.. uh... (* no- not us- but honestly- I have never seen so many sets of twins until coming to Maine-...) So- no idea where that came from.

Our population for the state- or even our county of Washington is only 2 percent of the state by mass..
Bottom line- less people..
And as far as 'welfare' is concerned- frankly- its one of the toughest in the nation to qualify for. Keep in mind- average income in this county is 20 grand- .. shoot- in Virginia- one could not live in a shoe box for that money- never mind own a home... *just saying

Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Since this thread is about civilization, it is pertinent to point out that today Al Shabbab is killing Christians in Kenya. Al Shabbab has spilled over from Maine to Somalia and now into Kenya. From Bartlett Street in Lewiston to a Christian school where Christian students are being slaughtered today, it is all connected. This is not bigotry as the progressives have posted in this thread. It is war.

If you bothered to click on the link above, the guy with the orange goatee who lectured Portland's City Council about Muslim rights is leading such conduct. Portland's City Council is complicit in such events. Willful support of this is an abrogation of the Portland City Council's responsibility and a violation of their oath's of office. Shame on them. The Portland City Council prohibits Christians from driving cabs at the Portland International Jetport. Maine sleeps.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 AM

110 posts, read 202,364 times
And to think all I wanted to know was where I could get a great meal near China.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiswater View Post
And to think all I wanted to know was where I could get a great meal near China.
I think 'cabin fever' is spreading .
Hope you find a good place to eat

Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
We currently live in metro-west MA and are trying to find a retirement house/cottage/camp we can rent out for the next few years before moving there ourselves. We're accustomed to all the bells and whistles of urban life, so I'm thinking about culture shock and realize that Portland would be the place we'd need to go for our "fix."

That said, we've come upon a terrific small camp for sale on China Lake. We've only spent time in coastal towns in Maine so I'm trying to get a grip on what life in China would be like. Seems like Augusta and Waterville are the closest towns. Info about them greatly appreciated, too.
To get back to the actual question asked ....

My wife and I moved to China, ME from Northern Virginia (about 30 miles south of DC, in the thick of suburbia) last October. We, too, were used to all the bells and whistles of living someplace with plenty of options re: lots of grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, professional sports, shows, museums, etc., etc.

Life here is very different. However, life here is also better.

No traffic jams. We go to Waterville and Augusta fairly regularly, and it's amazing to me how many miles we can travel without hitting a traffic light. Both are, to me, fairly typical cities in the northeast - they've seen better days, but they also have plenty to offer.

Little crime. Slower pace. Great people.

We know our neighbors.

It's quiet ... although when the summer people arrive, I know that will change.

When the sun goes down, it's dark! I love looking at the night sky and seeing SO many stars.

Our house is waterfront, on China Lake. We moved in too late in the year last fall to get out on the water, so we're really looking forward to doing so this year ... often!

My wife and I went to a town meeting a couple of weeks ago, and it was fantastic. There are so many people working to make this town a great place to live. We already think it's a great place to live, or we wouldn't have moved here.

Oh - I almost forgot. Right down the road from us ... "a stone's throw from rt. 202" ... is the China Dinah. We've been there several times - they serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner 6 days a week (closed on Mondays) and we've been happy with the food.

But we're also located (in South China) near route 3, and that's the road to take to Belfast, Searsport, Ellsworth, and even Mount Desert Island. We can also take 32 and 17, and it's not that far to Camden, Rockport, Rockland, etc. Now that we're coming out of winter, we'll be heading to the coast more often. As you know, having spent some time along Maine's coast, there's lots to do there as well as plenty of good restaurants.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Totally agree!
We are also ones that moved from outside Northern Virginia in August- and though different in the bells and whistles bit, - we are Loving this new life here ! Its the charm in Maine that has been received, and well loved.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:31 PM

506 posts, read 684,052 times
Quote:
Not sure what your tastes are but there are plenty of good restaurants within 20-30 minutes of China.

If you like Mexican......Buen Apetito is at Railroad Square complex in Waterville. Very good Mexican fare and very popular.

Others in Waterville to try:

Last Unicorn
Joseph's Fireside Steak House
Ming Lee

Hallowell (just South of Augusta) has numerous restaurants as well.

There are plenty of other ones in the Waterville/Augusta areas depending on your taste and budget.

In addition, Belfast/Camden/Rockland are all within reasonable driving distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine