Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times

Advertisements

LMAO! At the "bells and whistles of civilization"

That is if by bells and whistles you mean urban blight, suburban sprawl, cookie cutter subdivisions, ugly strip malls, litter, crime, noise and traffic.

Life in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere surrounded by wilderness would be a paradise to me compared to where I live now.

I am returning to Eastport when I retire and I don't think there is anything I will miss about the area where I live now which is the most over developing area in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
one business ha to shut down the bells & whistles,

on rte 3 the main artery from augusta to china.... there use to be a topless coffee shop.

the owner didn't seem to be well-liked,,,
he went about it all wrong,,

he should have named his shop, All - Natural Organics, Hemp & Brew

sell medicinal hemp, beer & wine brewing supplies, locally grown organics on the diner menu ...and then still have topless servers, hire only vegetarian servers, no one would have attacked them

that would bring in the dope smokers, the health nuts, then they would defend the place topless servers.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:24 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times
Augusta has a large Barnes & Noble, so it's a great place to live near. A city without a large bookstore just ain't worth living near.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:15 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
One of the most fun things about Maine is just getting in the car and driving. When you come to a restaurant or restaurants, stop and try one. There is nothing that compares with getting out and exploring Maine--no need to know in advance where you're goin'.....great advenchas. I always carry water and snacks including peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. etc. (also dog food and treats) with me just in case. lol

woxyroxme and I have not always agreed on this forum, but this is one time I couldn't agree with her more concerning her recent post:

"LMAO! At the "bells and whistles of civilization"

That is if by bells and whistles you mean urban blight, suburban sprawl, cookie cutter subdivisions, ugly strip malls, litter, crime, noise and traffic."

When I was a child, we used to look forward to going to Bangor (from Ellsworth) once a month to do what might be considered major shopping. I am happy to say, not much has changed. (There are places to shop in Bangor that are not in Ellsworth and that's ok.) A friend and I once drove to Portland to go school clothes shopping. We turned it into a camping trip. Fuddruckers is to open soon; I wonder if it will last as long as Friendly's. If I were a tourist visiting Maine, the last place I would want to eat would be in a national chain restaurant that I could visit in almost any other state. What fun is that? For scrumptious, local Maine seafood, I certainly wouldn't go to a national chain.

Oftentimes people who move to Maine from various levels of urban areas are used to every type of store being just around the corner. This is not necessary IMO and with the Internet, ordering online is now an option....so accept Maine for the "wilderness" she is or get in your car and drive and make a day of it.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-05-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
One of the most fun things about Maine is just getting in the car and driving. When you come to a restaurant or restaurants, stop and try one.
Agreed. We've tried to do some of that this winter, but weather has often limited our explorations. But we've talked to a number of people who have lived in Maine for years, and we have a growing list of places we intend to see. And a really nice side benefit of those trips will be the unexpected side trips - and maybe wrong turns - that will lead us to even more things to see and do.

Restaurants are a bit more of a challenge. My wife is a vegetarian, and I'm used to scoping places out first (thank you, Internet!) before visiting to make sure that there's something on the menu for her. It's a little easier now ... she said that since we were living in New England now, she really ought to include fish in her diet.

Quote:
If I were a tourist visiting Maine, the last place I would want to eat would be in a national chain restaurant that I could visit in almost any other state. What fun is that? For scrumptious, local Maine seafood, I certainly wouldn't go to a national chain.
Good point, and I agree ... with one exception. I heard that Five Guys burgers is supposed to open in Waterville. If they do, we'll be there.

Quote:
Oftentimes people who move to Maine from various levels of urban areas are used to every type of store being just around the corner. This is not necessary IMO and with the Internet, ordering online is now an option....so accept Maine for the "wilderness" she is or get in your car and drive and make a day of it.
Although we've ordered some things online, in general I'm trying to avoid that if I can. I'd rather spend my money locally, as long as it isn't outrageously expensive. In the same vein, if I can get what I need at a local hardware store, I'd rather do that than go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Quote:

woxyroxme and I have not always agreed on this forum, but this is one time I couldn't agree with her more concerning her recent post:
LOL! I'm a guy.

But there is something special about being able to go to a local mom and pop diner and have it be unchanged since having been there as a little kid with my grandparents.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Very special indeed, woxyroxme. Soon after they opened a Five Guys in Bangor I stopped in on a Friday night. It was like the Keystone Cops raiding a cooking school. I have not seen such chaos in an eatery since I was in a bar in New Orleans nearly a lifetime ago. At my age I like to have my meal in a peaceful and quiet atmosphere. I won't be back to Five Guys.

Forty five years ago today I had recently arrived in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam to serve with the Seawolves. I was surprised to find that Seawolves were sent to the head of the line at the chow hall. That was because we could hear the scramble horn at any moment, night or day. Everybody knew that. We tended to eat quickly and chug as much coffee or water as we could also. We could lose 10 pounds of water weight in one mission. Staying hydrated was important. I am thankful to be here to enjoy a leisurely meal. Many don't have that opportunity.

Happy Easter, everybody.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,433,571 times
Northern, thank you for your service.

We're getting pretty far off the China Lake topic but have you seen this clip?

Vietnam in HD - The Seawolves | Military.com

Old 04-06-2015, 07:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
You're welcome, gf2020. I have seen the clip. Take a look at the last five minutes of "We Were Soldiers". It is on YouTube and other sites. Helicopter gunships definitely dominated the scene and saved a lot of US troops. Joe Galloway was a reporter who flew in to the battle and was on the ground for three days. He has an audio tribute to the helicopter crews that is quite stirring.

Now we are really off the track of civilization near China Lake.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Agreed. We've tried to do some of that this winter, but weather has often limited our explorations. But we've talked to a number of people who have lived in Maine for years, and we have a growing list of places we intend to see. And a really nice side benefit of those trips will be the unexpected side trips - and maybe wrong turns - that will lead us to even more things to see and do.

Restaurants are a bit more of a challenge. My wife is a vegetarian, and I'm used to scoping places out first (thank you, Internet!) before visiting to make sure that there's something on the menu for her. It's a little easier now ... she said that since we were living in New England now, she really ought to include fish in her diet.

Good point, and I agree ... with one exception. I heard that Five Guys burgers is supposed to open in Waterville. If they do, we'll be there.

Although we've ordered some things online, in general I'm trying to avoid that if I can. I'd rather spend my money locally, as long as it isn't outrageously expensive. In the same vein, if I can get what I need at a local hardware store, I'd rather do that than go to Lowe's or Home Depot.
LOL you must have really been in the mood for advencha if you set out in a blizzard. Five Guys for a veggie sandwich? If you decide to give exploration without pre-restaurant planning a try, have your wife pack an emergency veggie meal. Most restaurants I can think of serve vegetables...and I would vote YES for fish. I agree with buying local if I can find what I want and need. I was thinking back to someone I encountered on the forum a couple of years ago who was complaining about living in Washington county and not being able to find something he wanted locally... shoulda done his homework before he made the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine