Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Some cell phone companies have more towers out there, but generally they all get about the same coverage. What they don't tell you is that if you get a dropped call or no-coverage (not even roaming) then it is because of YOUR PHONE and not the the provider; different phones have different antenna strengths.

I use T-Mobile myself and have so for about the last five years. Their plans are simple, they don't have complicated contracts, and their customer service is the best in the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
We've heard people say Verizon has the best coverage up here, but we have T-Mobile due to 1) price, 2) good service, and 3) good coverage for our purposes.

At one point some companies were offering trial periods on phones, i.e., you could return them within 30 days and stop the contract if it didn't work out. I've had T-Mobile now for about 4 years so dunno what's going around for offers now.

Verizon picked my pockets just once too often on my former landline service, so I wouldn't even consider them. One of my co-workers told me what she had to pay to sign up with Verizon last year and I couldn't believe how expensive it was compared to my T-Mobile plan (but then, I'm not going for text messaging plans or a million minutes a month either. Free mobile-to-mobile within the family plan and enough minutes to call the relatives/friends, with free nights/weekends, is plenty enough for me)

Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM

346 posts, read 786,364 times
I have Sprint, and it's always roaming. When it's roaming the battery doesn't last more than a day and a half.
Normally, I'll get at least 4 days from the battery before I have to chage it.

I do not always get incoming calls, it goes right to voicemail. If the person calling doesn't leave a message, I'll never know I missed a call.

People with me use Verizon without any problems.

Remember, when you need it most, .. it may not work.
I keep a CB radio in the truck, as well as a 2 meter Ham Radio (http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml?State=ME - broken link).

Last edited by ClownShoes; 06-20-2008 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-21-2008, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 18,965 times
Let me tell you after 20 years of having a cell phone, I've tried them all and I mean all.. I found after all that testing that US is the best, Verizon second...
As far as internet time warner the fastest but expensive...

Old 06-22-2008, 05:39 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
I had Unicel for 10 years and it was a disaster. US Cellular works well for us, but there is no coverage in Eastport or various other coastal locations (I think Sullivan was mentioned). There are several dead zones on Rte 9 as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
I have Verizon for work and AT&T for personal and I have coverage everywhere except some remote area's while snowmobiling. Both work in Western Maine and most of Aroostook along 95 and route 1 corridors. I even get internet coverage in these locations with a Verizon phone card for my lap top.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,172 times
So what's the deal for Eastport, Maine? Is there ANY service that is provided there? PLEASE let me know asap!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM

226 posts, read 641,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
Just returned from visiting Maine from Portland to the North County with my Sprint cell service. Great reception in Portland only. Zilch along the mid-coast and barely any signal at all along I-95 as I passed Bangor which really surprised me.
Yup, had Sprint this past Christmas when I went home to the Bangor area and service was awful. I don't think I had 3G the entire time, and I was roaming the majority of the time as well.

My parents and younger brother all live in the Bangor area and use US Cellular and have for years. They never complain about coverage, so it must be good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine