Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times

Advertisements

Question for those of you IN Maine...

How do you connect to the 'net? Dial-up, DSL, Cable modem?? what other options if any are available in your area and with whom.

Oh, and more or less where ARE you? ... general location, in town or country lane, etc.

Trying to give K an idea of what to expect.. he games online... If you know your typical speed up and download, that would be cool too... but I know that's a geek question and not everyone is a geek...

Me, I can deal with anything other that dial-up I think... I'd rather have to go find an internet cafe than do THAT again! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
We have DSL through TimeWarner but we'll be changing in the spring to Verizon DSL, we'll be in Eastport.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 AM

169 posts, read 550,162 times
Verizon DSL on Deer Isle for me................

Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
If your in the middle of no where, they have satelite internet from Wildblue for $49 month. Better than dialup, works anywhere in Maine.

WildBlue - Official Website - High Speed Internet via Satellite

http://www.wildblue.com/images/int/dish.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
We had high speed cable thru Adelphia before we moved. Now we have it thru TWC and I assume that is what we'll have when we move back.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Maine has a bunch of very small phone companies.

Our service is provided by 'Mid-Maine', and we get DSL through them.

Also across the road and kitty-corner from us is a 100 acre parcel owned by Unicell. They have a cellphone repeater tower centered on that parcel. It has a commanding view over a long stretch of I-95, and it's flashing red lights can be seen from our kitchen window at night. So we have a clear full signal for my cellphone.

Our township has no cable provider.

Landline with DSL, and cellphone coverage, are what we have.

If you used the cellphone stuff for WWW access it would work well. Our eldest son does that for his laptop, while he is on the road. [a truck driver]

Old 01-20-2008, 12:53 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
cell phone for internet is something I have not experienced and know nothing about... I would fear, as much as we use it (time wise) and as high bandwidth (gaming, up/download LARGE graphic files) it might be prohibitive. What cell company does your truck driving son use for service??

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine has a bunch of very small phone companies.

Our service is provided by 'Mid-Maine', and we get DSL through them.

Also across the road and kitty-corner from us is a 100 acre parcel owned by Unicell. They have a cellphone repeater tower centered on that parcel. It has a commanding view over a long stretch of I-95, and it's flashing red lights can be seen from our kitchen window at night. So we have a clear full signal for my cellphone.

Our township has no cable provider.

Landline with DSL, and cellphone coverage, are what we have.

If you used the cellphone stuff for WWW access it would work well. Our eldest son does that for his laptop, while he is on the road. [a truck driver]

Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
cell phone for internet is something I have not experienced and know nothing about... I would fear, as much as we use it (time wise) and as high bandwidth (gaming, up/download LARGE graphic files) it might be prohibitive. What cell company does your truck driving son use for service??
I do not recall. Either Sprint or Verizon.

He drives for one Kansas company hauling Sheetrock between Kansas and Nebraska / Missouri / Oklahoma; and a second company that hauls scrap iron between Wyoming / Nebraska / Colorado / Kansas / NM / Oklahoma and Texas.

"Dad, guess what state I am in?" is a common thing to hear when I answer the phone.

But it makes sense as I used to phone home with "Guess what country I am in?".

Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I have DSL through one of our tiny phone companies, Fairpoint Communications. They are trying to buy out Verizon in Maine, NH and VT.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have DSL through one of our tiny phone companies, Fairpoint Communications. They are trying to buy out Verizon in Maine, NH and VT.
Actually, Fairpoint Communications is far from a "tiny company". They are a publicly traded company on the NYSE, and are a reasonably large, rural telephone player in the marketplace.

Near Ellsworth, we use Roadrunner from Time Warner Cable. We have used Verizon DSL and I found it kind of slow in comparison with Cable Modem.

The Internet is OK, but the cable tv service is poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine