Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
did yours STAY STUCK?? When we built the small house I designed, in the 70s in CO, my dad insisted on the self-stick kind... and the ones by the doors didn't stay stuck, broke off.. it was a disaster.
Mine did, yes, but that's relative. One floor has been down barely 2 years and the other has been down less than one. So I don't really have any long-term results for you.

Quote:
Also that was at the beginning of the "textured tile" thing.. these were DEEPLY textured and I didn't get a chance to put down a real "no wax floor finish" on them before we had to move in.. on a snowy day.. it snowed over the UNfrozen earth.. there was so much mud in the texture that even changing water every 6 tiles, going over it three times, on hands and knees I could not get it clean. Can you tell I hated that floor?? LOL
One of the floors I put down had a wood grain appearance to make it look like a wood floor. Here is a picture. Mind you that I was not taking a picture of the foor, so bear that in mind. Good old Maine How to.....-copy-maine-mess-071.jpg

Quote:
with the critters I am not a fan of carpet (rugs you can wash, yeah... ) either. not even on cold floors.. that is what sheepskin lined boots and slippers are for.

There is much more to life than housework, so it's my idea to make it as quick and easy to clean as possible.
I'm with you on both counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I have 16 cases of floor tiles sitting in the diningroom. They scare me!

Oh! I can do tile

I just can't make soap or lotion when it's so easy to buy.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Quote:
then spray the rails with WD-40 if they aren't sliding too smoothly.

Ahhh, WD-40, travelling companion to duct tape.

The only problem with WD-40 on some patio door tracks is that it will lift any kind oif grease or oil from the ridges. This can lead to tell-tale black stripes on the socks or shoes of any who steps on the threshhold. Then there's the very distinctive WD-40 smell to deal with.

Consider taking an ordinary white candle and rubbing the track ridges with it........no smell and no residue.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Consider taking an ordinary white candle and rubbing the track ridges with it........no smell and no residue.
Great idea, and much better for the environment.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Ahhh, WD-40, travelling companion to duct tape.

The only problem with WD-40 on some patio door tracks is that it will lift any kind oif grease or oil from the ridges. This can lead to tell-tale black stripes on the socks or shoes of any who steps on the threshhold. Then there's the very distinctive WD-40 smell to deal with.

Great idea!
That's why they pay you the big bucks

Old 01-24-2008, 04:57 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The site I used when I first started making soap was millersoaps.com I disagree that it's as easy as cooking as you should always wear safety goggles when mixing the lye/water. That stuff gets seriously hot and creates dangerous fumes if you are doing it in an enclosed area. Children and pets should be safely away from the area at the time of mixing the lye and water. Lye should always be added slowly to the water, not the water to the lye. Lye can react violently if you try to add the water to it. Always add the lye to water - slowly.
Yes, you have to be careful, but being careful isn't difficult. We're careful with a stove, boiling water, hot oil and knives and probably don't have kids and pets in the kitchen when we're cooking.

Cyndi Muller has soap information on her website. She's been making soap for quite a while. For anyone looking for soap books, beware of books that talk about curing, pouring water into lye or neutralizing lye with vinegar. Those are beginner mistakes written by soap makers who didn't have enough personal experience to write a book using first hand knowledge. When soap making became the current fad about 10 years ago a lot of people jumped on the wagon and wrote books much too soon.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Tiling is not so tough, MW. Although I will say it's a killer on the back! I recommend renting or buying a good tile saw - well worth the $$$. I did about 3 tub surrounds, 4 bathroom floors, and 2 kitchen floors with the $88 saw they sell at Home Depot. It worked just fine, but now that I've upgraded to the $250 model that I borrowed from a friend, there's no going back. I've spoiled myself.
If you get the urge to do another floor just let me know! My BIL bought a nice tile saw when he put down his kitchen floor and has offered to let me borrow it. I'm a little concerned about spacing the tiles correctly, getting them straight and getting them level. Once I get started and learn how to do this I think it'll be ok.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,128 times
Alice Thank you for the helpful soap formula. I have never even tried to do this...Can't wait to give it a try.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Oh! I can do tile

I just can't make soap or lotion when it's so easy to buy.
What you buy isn't really soap though. Its full of detergents and other additives. Unless, of course, you are buying homemade soap. I have not used store bought "soap" in years. My favorite is made by a lady in Auburn and its called Maine Blueberry. Smells almost good enough to eat.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
What you buy isn't really soap though. Its full of detergents and other additives. Unless, of course, you are buying homemade soap. I have not used store bought "soap" in years. My favorite is made by a lady in Auburn and its called Maine Blueberry. Smells almost good enough to eat.
At our local farmers market there is a local lady who makes and sells soaps. Folks might want to look at a farmers market near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: