Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times

Advertisements

I notice that many of our older people are in church, while many younger people are using drugs. Doing drugs is a poor substitute for what the older people are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I notice that many of our older people are in church, while many younger people are using drugs. Doing drugs is a poor substitute for what the older people are doing.
Older people grew up in a different era. A totally different era. For one thing, you didn't pop a pill for every minor ailment because you think you're going to die without one, or you think you should never be uncomfortable. Ever. They also didn't run to the doctor or hospital every time a bug bit them.

And let's not forget that each generation raised the following one, so where's the ball being dropped?

A lot of people who formerly abused drugs joined churches and have been successful in sobriety.

A lot of people have succeeded in sobriety without church. Each person is individual. The common denominator with both is that they have finally decided enough is enough.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:09 AM

All I say is that we've decided that we don't really need religion.............drugs will do.
I don't think so.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:54 AM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
No religion has ZERO to do with addiction. Like someone said people can recovery without turning their life over to God, Plenty of people who say or think they are religious are actually anything but. If you as a person get something good from going to church then go but don't try to tell others that they can't have a life without religion or God.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM

I'm not even talking about recovery, just the widespread use of drugs.
Maybe younger people wouldn't use as much, if more of them went to church.
Just a thought.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm not even talking about recovery, just the widespread use of drugs.
Maybe younger people wouldn't use as much, if more of them went to church.
Just a thought.
Religion is falling out of favor. The many glaring contradictions, illogicalities and outright falsities are becoming far too obvious to many people, especially as the average level of education increases. Science has answered many of the questions which, previously, the uneducated/ignorant formerly attributed to 'goddidit'.

Unfortunately, science also has given the chemicals to muddle their minds when short-sightedness and a lack of discipline (self, and externally imposed) tempts them to use them for recreation. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Although, some claim to have seen "god" while on a trip (points to anyone that gets the reference...hint: comedy routine).

Old 10-05-2015, 02:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
This thread is the best I have ever seen on drugs and the behavior associated with it. Veganwriter had the best post so far in my opinion. Many of our couch surfing kids were never parented. Parenting is work, requires planning, attention to detail and follow-up. There needs to be structure. This is why so many neglected youths, who have not totally precluded military service by committing crimes, do very well in the military. They actually crave structure in their lives.

I have seen single parents do very well at raising their kids. It is a huge and daunting task. From the terrible twos to the rebellious teen years they persevere. I salute them. My wife was a special ed teacher and later a special ed director. You should see our driveway on Mother's Day. Kids I have never met come back. One young man asked if my wife was home. She came out and said, "Oh, Hi John. How are you doing? He had graduated from high school and gone on to a 2 year technical college. He is now a chef at a five star hotel.

When he was in junior high whenever he earned some money his grandfather would steal it to buy alcohol. My wife opened a joint checking account with the boy. He still has that same checking account. He introduced his wife and his five year old daughter, saying, "This my teacher." The little girl said , WOW!

If we adults step in and offer some guidance and structure many kids will eat it up. We can mentor these kids. There is great danger to the kids though if their mentor turns out to be a predator. It's a dangerous world out there for our kids. Lets all jump in and guide them through the mine field to safety.

Kudos to Veganwriter for the helpful explanation. I have never met a kid who said, "I want to be a junkie when I grow up."

Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 PM

again nothing to do with church and everything to do with being a good parent. Teach your kids some self respect and to respect others then they wont want to do drugs. I tell my daughter if you do not respect yourself then nobody else will.

But if you are so inclined to also go to a place of worship then go. But don't blame drug problems on kids lack of going to church.

What we need in school starting in elementary is to teach martial arts to kids as PE. Because it really is not about beating someone up but about the core foundations. Respect, Integrity, perseverance. Self defense. My daughter is 9 years old has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Has done so much to bolster her self esteem and her focus.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Religion is falling out of favor. The many glaring contradictions, illogicalities and outright falsities are becoming far too obvious to many people, especially as the average level of education increases. Science has answered many of the questions which, previously, the uneducated/ignorant formerly attributed to 'goddidit'.

Unfortunately, science also has given the chemicals to muddle their minds when short-sightedness and a lack of discipline (self, and externally imposed) tempts them to use them for recreation. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Although, some claim to have seen "god" while on a trip (points to anyone that gets the reference...hint: comedy routine).
Church is falling out of favor because of cultural changes, not because the truth has changed. The truth will always remain the same, regardless of how far society falls.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
This thread is the best I have ever seen on drugs and the behavior associated with it. Veganwriter had the best post so far in my opinion. Many of our couch surfing kids were never parented. Parenting is work, requires planning, attention to detail and follow-up. There needs to be structure. This is why so many neglected youths, who have not totally precluded military service by committing crimes, do very well in the military. They actually crave structure in their lives.

I have seen single parents do very well at raising their kids. It is a huge and daunting task. From the terrible twos to the rebellious teen years they persevere. I salute them. My wife was a special ed teacher and later a special ed director. You should see our driveway on Mother's Day. Kids I have never met come back. One young man asked if my wife was home. She came out and said, "Oh, Hi John. How are you doing? He had graduated from high school and gone on to a 2 year technical college. He is now a chef at a five star hotel.

When he was in junior high whenever he earned some money his grandfather would steal it to buy alcohol. My wife opened a joint checking account with the boy. He still has that same checking account. He introduced his wife and his five year old daughter, saying, "This my teacher." The little girl said , WOW!

If we adults step in and offer some guidance and structure many kids will eat it up. We can mentor these kids. There is great danger to the kids though if their mentor turns out to be a predator. It's a dangerous world out there for our kids. Lets all jump in and guide them through the mine field to safety.

Kudos to Veganwriter for the helpful explanation. I have never met a kid who said, "I want to be a junkie when I grow up."
I could not agree more. If you want to have children then be there for them and raise them. Teach them respect and to value others. If not then get an operation so you won't have to worry about it. It is difficult being a parent. My sister was a single mom. Her son is 20 and he has the best personality is always nice respectful says please and thank you. Basically turned out as a productive adult. Plans on going to college and is already accepted at UNLV.

I worked as a nanny for a family who had a boy with Asperger it was extremely challenging. But I worked with him and helped him grow. He was also in an early intervention in school which helped. He is an adult and has graduated from college. He is a gifted musician and an artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine