Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Time spent inside doesn't mean anything. My wife took 3-4 minutes to buy this house we have here - and I hadn't even seen it yet!

Nevertheless, we wish you good luck!
And every house that I thought worth having a look, I looked hard- usually one to two hours, checking everything from foundation to roof. 10 or 20 minutes just wouldn't cut it for me. If I was out in less than an hour, it was probably going to be no deal.

But that's just me, don't let it scare you. When I'm looking, it's like an inspection in the Army. I want to know everything that's wrong. Something being "wrong" doesn't necessarilly kill the deal, I just want to know so I can make the determination of whether the problems are something I'm willing to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Well, maybe better luck next time. Thanks for all the positive thoughts! I'm still hanging in there.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Am I all mixed up or did you just buy a house, after all that checking it out and with the support and help of several of the forum knowledable reference folks--that turned out to have more than one significant problem with structural and functional components of the home?
The structural problems I was aware of and am willing to deal with.

The plumbing problems, on the other hand, were a bit of a surprise. The plumbing all worked when we tested it, but the leak in the downstairs bath sink supply line wasn't evident until I removed the sink. In between the inspections and possession, the kitchen faucets went south, and the upstairs faucet started to leak...oh, the downstairs toilet crapped out *during* the inspection. It isn't bad, but the guy that did the plumbing wasn't a plumber.

I suspect that the faucet problems were caused by the fact that during the inspection, ALL of the taps were open full blast, at the same time, and sediment was stirred up. I probably could have taken them apart and cleaned them, and cleaned out the aerators, but I decided I'd just replace them instead of mucking about.

Stuff happens.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Yes it does; and you are well served by being able to attend to it. I am so not handy and only too aware that from the moment something is built it starts to ......"happen" and I don't have a clue how to fix it.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Yes it does; and you are well served by being able to attend to it. I am so not handy and only too aware that from the moment something is built it starts to ......"happen" and I don't have a clue how to fix it.
Well, frankly, there have been many undertakings in which, when I first began them, I didn't have a clue either. I've even taken paying jobs that I had no experience in, and in one case, took on a job doing something that I had not even known was possible to do before being approached and agreeing to do it. (In that case, I was actually more interested in seeing and learning how the thing was done than in the money I was being paid to do it.)

Clues may be obtained from investigation, logical thought, analysis, deduction, the experience of others...and one's own experience gained in attempting to do a thing.

For instance, prior to this my knowledge of plumbing was limited to barely more than 'water runs in the pipes, you open the tap and it comes out'. I learned by observing the system, analyzing the problem(s), seeing what tools and components were available that might rectify the situation(s), choosing what appeared to be the best possible solutions and then applying them.

In the case of the pressure problem resulting in hot/cold variations, I had some general thoughts as to how the system worked (gained by observation and deduction), proposed some possible solutions, and Land Man and Forest provided the clues needed to solve the problem.

The key is not to be disuaded by a lack of knowledge, but to gain the knowledge from whatever source is available and begin working on the problem. Of course, it helps to have an idea of a contingency plan in case things go badly wrong, and to recognize when limitations of tools, knowledge and conditions may result in a situation that requires more expert assistance, such as when the furnace quit.

Once upon a time, my father owned an oil company and did burner service. I've delivered fuel oil and done some limited burner work but the technology has changed since then. When I went down and looked at the furnace I recognized that the control system was completely unfamiliar, and that I would need specialized knowledge and tools that I would not be able to obtain within a reasonable time so the best solution was to call in a professional, in this case, the same one who had worked on the system previously and was the most familiar with it.

Before the tech left, however, I inquired and learned what had caused the problem, so that now I know how it can be prevented in the future. At some point I will obtain the specific knowledge needed to modify and repair the system myself.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Our realtor just called. They're pulling Seller's Disclosures today. She said to expect an offer. No telling if it's one we can accept, but she said they loved the house, loved the staging and said it was perfect for their family.

Now we wait!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Our realtor just called. They're pulling Seller's Disclosures today. She said to expect an offer. No telling if it's one we can accept, but she said they loved the house, loved the staging and said it was perfect for their family.

Now we wait!
Elcarim,

I am holding my breath for you! Let It Be! I am holding you and your family in my prayerful awareness! Let It Be! I am directing all my positive energy to you--let it be!

Let Elcarim and her family move on to their hearts desire, to the fulfillment of what they aspire to be.

Equally I identify and support the aspirations of the people who looked at your house; let it be the fulfillment of their dreams, may it shelter their love and their hopes and help them become all that they are meant to be. Let your house bring double joy--joy to you as it supports and enables you in your quest and joy to a family that steps up and into that very same home.

May It Be So!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Excellent!

Good luck...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Thank you. I'm trying to breathe and not be too anxious and not get my hopes up too high for this very first glimmer of hope. elson, you know how hard that is!

But believing all the same that the quickening in my spirit I felt yesterday to prepare had to mean something! I even cancelled a trip we had planned for April and told Brad to hurry and get his certification testing complete quickly that he's in the middle of. Even if THIS is not the one, I know it's coming!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Atta Girl! Yes indeed I do know how hard it is and how high the hopes can soar. But you have the right attitude, It only takes one! Its not an election, it just takes one! Hold Fast to your dream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine