Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:01 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCringle View Post
NMLM, you think there is another real estate bubble ready to pop any day now? I imagine rural Maine is less affected by such things?
You have to have a boom to have a pop. I don't see any bubbles. While I got a good deal in 2007 compared to now. The boom from 1996 to 2007, and a boom of three times what it was worth then. The people who sold it to us made real money having it go up more than 3 times what they paid for it---in just 10 years.

Now its gone up by about 25% in 10 years---that's not a boom. Back when interest rates were a standard 6%, it wouldn't have been considered much of a wind fall to go up each year for about 2.5%. 30% a year? That's a boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 06:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
We have been saying since our college days! 45 years ago that we really do want to move to Maine. Life, however, has other plans, and we circuited from Southern New England to St Louis and back again twice, for teaching jobs. Then the kids came along and the whole focus was on bringing them up and making money, and then just as that started to be over we had the elders in the family and all their problems. They passed and now, here in Southern New England, we have three grandkids who are very young (under age 4) and we are determined not to miss their early years. Though semi-retired now, we too can take our freelance work anywhere. We just finished renovating "this old house" (four years of intense and expensive DIY work) and we are scratching our heads....how did all this time, these decades, fly by so fast with our relocation dream on the back burner?

We now have a small opening of time and energy to revisit the idea of moving to Maine. Though hubby is fit as a fiddle, I have some chronic health problems. We are in our late sixties. Stay tied to our responsibilities here where we are now, or follow through on our instinct (which never leaves us) to head for Maine. We are not trying for mecca, we know well some of the downsides of Maine plus the energy it would take to make the move.

My view of it all now, in retrospect, is spring into action instead of letting an idea or a dream fester unresolved. There are no guarantees in life, including how long we'll live. Sometimes it's better to use our heart rather than our head, which can overthink things to death and kill dreams.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
As for tips, which you asked for, concentrate on the kitchen and bath and front entryway. Even a few touches can make a big difference. Get absolutely all clutter out, and place a few accent pieces (large green plants, a piece of artwork not framed or placed high on the wall, a mirror) and let the realtor deal with the rest. If you have a front yard, plop in a wooden trellis or archway and put that fast growing annual vine, mandi-something? with beautiful flowers. Small touches in a hurry.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:01 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post

We now have a small opening of time and energy to revisit the idea of moving to Maine. Though hubby is fit as a fiddle, I have some chronic health problems. We are in our late sixties. Stay tied to our responsibilities here where we are now, or follow through on our instinct (which never leaves us) to head for Maine. We are not trying for mecca, we know well some of the downsides of Maine plus the energy it would take to make the move.

My view of it all now, in retrospect, is spring into action instead of letting an idea or a dream fester unresolved. There are no guarantees in life, including how long we'll live. Sometimes it's better to use our heart rather than our head, which can overthink things to death and kill dreams.
Same deal as us---almost. We did it.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
So far I'm not very enlightened or encouraged because it seems like no older single people have made this move after remodeling and selling a home in another state. That makes me think this must be a difficult thing to do. Also, someone who is looking at $300,000 homes could afford to hire help for remodeling, selling, and other moving tasks. That's not my case. Some have questioned whether I really want to move. It's more the practical, physical, and financial challenges that are keeping me stuck.
Well - i'm back again - and i'm single and finally moving - hopefully! (if my partner will move with me, then that will be good, if not i'll be moving alone)

I've been wanting to move to Maine since i was 16 - and i'm now 57 (retired) - so it's never too late! I have a house in NJ to sell, and circa 2009 i added onto it, put in new windows and siding, A/C, a new deck, and a new kitchen. All i have left is to update the bathroom - if i CAN - before listing it and getting out of this state.

I'm looking along the coast, anything i can find below $175K with owned salt-waterfrontage (or on a large river). And i'm finding some, believe me. They're not mansions, but i dont need one. I'll take a cottage if it's on the water and has a bathroom and heat! I was looking at land for a while to put a tiny house or other type of alternative house on, but i'm not sure the money i get from selling my house would be quite enough for that. My favorite houses saved right now are in Steuben, Lubec, Milbridge, Robbinston, and Pembroke.

I'm glad to be back! - and i do have a question (I can make a new thread if needed). I'm trying to find out HOW to find out if something will need flood insurance, or if the area floods ever. I probably wont have a mortgage so it wont be required for that, but i'd like to know. Thanks, Jill

Old 06-17-2016, 03:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Something for the OP to think about.

I am an older (74) single, retired woman living in central NY. I have had a dream to relocate for a very, very long time. But I have not done it. I've dragged my feet, for no really good reason (I do have debt to consider but can work around that). I am a renter and have been a renter for a long time. Each time I moved from one apt. to another, I got rid of a lot of stuff. However, I realize I still have too much of it (stuff).

Moving is hard work. Packing, moving, unpacking, settling, etc. Taking care of the business end of the move. And I have always had to do it by myself. I've hired a truck with two men to move and drive. They do not come cheap.

What I am trying to get across here is if you don't do it now (in your early 60s, which I agree is not old), when will you do it? Time FLIES BY quicker than you can shake a stick at. Your energy runs low.

So I agree with the posters who suggest to you to move now or at least soon. Get that house on the market. Some people are looking for homes they can do over to their own liking. Why spend the money on paint, repairs, etc. when new people will change it anyway?

I am not a house owner (was at one time) so wonder what the house-owning posters think about your statement regarding the bedroom you renovated. I believe you said that added $10,000 to selling price. Do all you posters agree with that?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I am not a house owner (was at one time) so wonder what the house-owning posters think about your statement regarding the bedroom you renovated. I believe you said that added $10,000 to selling price. Do all you posters agree with that?
Without seeing the renovation, it's impossible to have an opinion, but I'd say unless the renovation was really spectacular, then no, I don't think it would be worth $10K.

I know what you mean about time flying by, and being weighed down by excessive stuff, as well as the indecision that seems to plague so many people. It's of note that both NYgal and the OP are both single. Having a spouse tends to overcome that inertia.

In my case, I scouted for land for literally years before I retired, and purchased 33 acres a year before I retired. I did that purposely to force myself to commit to the move. Just as I retired, I had to have both knees replaced -- something that could have caused a delay if I'd let it.

But no, the following spring I was up there with 2 male relatives, building a ranch house. I was up on the roof with 2 artificial knees, and lovin' it. I never gave much thought to how much we'd get for our prior house. Oh -- and the stuff? I left my wife in charge of that. She's ruthless!

I don't know how single people get anything done, honestly.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:28 PM

198 posts, read 211,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Something for the OP to think about.

I am an older (74) single, retired woman living in central NY. I have had a dream to relocate for a very, very long time. But I have not done it. I've dragged my feet, for no really good reason (I do have debt to consider but can work around that). I am a renter and have been a renter for a long time. Each time I moved from one apt. to another, I got rid of a lot of stuff. However, I realize I still have too much of it (stuff).

Moving is hard work. Packing, moving, unpacking, settling, etc. Taking care of the business end of the move. And I have always had to do it by myself. I've hired a truck with two men to move and drive. They do not come cheap.

What I am trying to get across here is if you don't do it now (in your early 60s, which I agree is not old), when will you do it? Time FLIES BY quicker than you can shake a stick at. Your energy runs low.

So I agree with the posters who suggest to you to move now or at least soon. Get that house on the market. Some people are looking for homes they can do over to their own liking. Why spend the money on paint, repairs, etc. when new people will change it anyway?

You offer good lessons...my house is sold (waiting about 10 more days to close escrow, some delays)...then off to Maine....and the market is hot there, but at least I will be doing what I want even if not in the exact town I wanted....returning to New England. I am getting tired as you say (late 50s), arthritis is setting in.....
I have to go now.....no wimping out cuz house is sold. But a comment about the "stuff"...The more you get rid of it....the easier it is to get rid of more.....as years fly by you see how the "stuff" looks old and worn......and gets actually depressing.
And it is also hard to sell....your stuff, no one wants it. Ive had yard sales, estate sale and used CL and letgo.com.....moves very slowly .....now at a point where it is just getting dumped...sometimes donated....(obviously keep family heirlooms, photos, things of your children's.....but be very discerning).

See the old George Carlin skit on "My Stuff"...very funny.....BUT get rid of the STUFF....it weighs you down....keeps you in prison from moving......getting rid of stuff sets you free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine