Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were both born and raised in Florida. We both hated it, hated the heat, the crime, the lack of seasons etc. We left our family and moved to Maine. We absolutely love it. We love having new problems that come with living in the north. We love the atmosphere and the close proximity to the other New England states. We have been here almost 2 years and we feel at home here. Florida seems like a place we used to live, not home. The problem is the family we left behind. My mother was my best friend and I am the only family she had. She has lots of friends and works a lot so she is busy but I know we miss each other like crazy. My husband misses his elderly mother although she has lots of family around. I am torn between my surroundings and my family I guess. If I move back to Florida, I will hate it there and wish I was here. If I stay here I will be happy with my life but feel guilty for my family. I cannot decide what to do and what is right. Please give your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 03:06 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgtechchrissy View Post
My husband and I were both born and raised in Florida. We both hated it, hated the heat, the crime, the lack of seasons etc. We left our family and moved to Maine. We absolutely love it. We love having new problems that come with living in the north. We love the atmosphere and the close proximity to the other New England states. We have been here almost 2 years and we feel at home here. Florida seems like a place we used to live, not home. The problem is the family we left behind. My mother was my best friend and I am the only family she had. She has lots of friends and works a lot so she is busy but I know we miss each other like crazy. My husband misses his elderly mother although she has lots of family around. I am torn between my surroundings and my family I guess. If I move back to Florida, I will hate it there and wish I was here. If I stay here I will be happy with my life but feel guilty for my family. I cannot decide what to do and what is right. Please give your perspective.
You've only got the one mother. new England will always be here, mom won't. besides, you already know what you want to do, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 AM

846 posts, read 1,021,137 times
I miss my long deceased parents terribly. You could spend your vacations with them, fly down for long weekends, Skype/FaceTime often. I do believe my parents would want me to be happy in my life and live for myself, I do not profess to know the intricacies of you situation and it is your life. It is a tough decision, our kids/grandkids are in North Carolina and New Zealand, we spend as much time as possible with them but we are retired and have free time. Austin is correct, you know what you want to do.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,703,254 times
Any chance you could rent your home out and visit Florida more often for longer periods of time? Check out vrbo.com, air bnb, Homeway..websites like that. I have elderly parents who unfortunately won't be around (physically at least) in a few years. I'm thinking I really want to make Maine my home now as well but will have to wait.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,389,566 times
I recomend Skype, or another video streaming service. Im sure you could find someone to teach them the basics as it is fairly easy.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,998 times
I would stay in Maine and spend this year figuring out how to communicate or visit more as mentioned above. Revisit contemplating a move next year.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,746,620 times
If they are near retirement see if they would move up to New England. Put an in-law on the house & enjoy

Old 01-06-2017, 11:53 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Have you asked your mother what SHE thinks about the situation??

Old 01-06-2017, 07:17 PM

91 posts, read 103,341 times
Your post speaks to my me! My husband and I are from Florida, both of our families live here. We're planning on moving to Maine next summer. All I can say is this; my parents left both of their families behind when they moved out of state and never went back, they visit about once per year, and their visits are always longer than a week. In fact they just flew out this morning to visit their mothers and siblings and will be gone about 10 days. I thought they would eventually retire back home but they said they're never moving back, they're happy staying in Florida. I guess home is wherever you're the happiest to be.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:27 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
I promised my wife that I would drive back to PA three times a year for her to visit her parents as long as they were alive. My family in PA and NC disowned me over an inheritance they didn't get because they treated the family member who gave it like shat for as long as I was alive and I didn't.

So when the died, I am willing to visit my sister in law once. My wife seems to think that this agreement applies to her sister too. I tell her I will put her on a plane. She expects me to travel with her out to see my son and his wife and baby in Indiana 4 times a year. I tell her I will put her on a plane.

Every time we drive or take a plane it costs us $1500 to visit the son, and $1000 to visit the sister. Last week she want to drive down to see the sister for $1000 so she could go to a craft show there.

I love Mount Desert island, and have little interest in traveling anywhere else. My sister in law in an international banker with many many thousands of miles of frequent flyer jet miles. She could fly up here for the weekend and it would literally cost her nothing. Why should I spend $1000 to drive down to visit her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine